Software
Houzz Logo Print
mollys_gw

Williamson County Bloom 'n' Garden Expo

21 years ago


For those of you in the Nashville area:

The Williamson County Master Gardener Association is hosting a Garden Show here in Franklin, April 4-6. There will be lots of information, plants for sale, other garden displays, etc.

Here is a link to more information:

http://www.wcmga.net/2005_expo.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom 'n' Garden Expo link..

Comments (18)

  • 21 years ago

    I saw news of this somewhere and knew it was coming up, and I thought it strange to be held during the week. The Web site says, April 8-10, next weekend, so I'm excited.

    Did you go last year? Is it great? I'm really looking forward to it.

  • 21 years ago

    I went last year. It was impressive, considering it was the first one they've done. This year's is supposed to be bigger/better, etc.
    I'm helping to set up this week, and also helping on Sunday (getting those volunteer hours in towards my Master Gardener Certificate).
    One thing I'm excited about is that Southern Living Magazine is running a seminar/class (Southern Living Garden School). I'm told they choose only 9 garden shows each year to bring their class to.

    Hope you have a good time!

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks, Molly. My wife and I are expecting our first baby any day, and I'm trying to get as much done in a new blank-slate yard before then. So, if the baby holds out another week, I'm definitely there, and with my wife is she's up to it.

    Are the prices on plants pretty reasonable? I've got a bunch to buy!

  • 21 years ago

    Franklinjay:
    The plants for sale from Davidson County Master Gardener booth and the Williamson County Master Gardener booth were priced pretty well, and some went to 1/2 price the last few hours on Sunday. The "retail nursery" booths were priced the same as in their stores, as much as I can remember.
    If you know what kinds of plants you're looking for (perennials, annuals, natives, shrubs, etc.) let me know what you need- There are some great nurseries around that I didn't know about until recently. I will try and find the list and post them tomorrow.
    If you are interested in mail order, and don't mind some smaller plants, there's a great catalog called Bluestone Perennials. Their plants are really reasonable, but they're not very large. I think they have a website, too.

    You have to tell us about the baby when it comes! Congratulations!

  • 21 years ago

    Molly--

    We moved to downtown Franklin in the fall, and our somewhat shady back yard is essentially an overgrown blank slate. I've been concentrating on hardscape since then, and the front yard. Anyway, I'm ready to get planting on everything.

    I'd love to hear about nurseries too. Always looking for more. Here's the list of what I have planned. Some are run of the mill, some a little harder to find.

    various hosta of all sizes
    coleus
    caladium
    sweet alyssum
    virginia bluebells
    foxglove
    echinacea/ coneflower
    delphinium
    oriental/asiatic lilies
    toad lilies
    gladiolus
    bleeding hearts
    pia hydrangea
    annabelle hydrangea
    lavender
    salvia
    dahlias
    clematis
    various annuals and herbs
    ...and a pussy willow tree! Know where I can find one?

    Thanks a bunch. Can't wait for the expo.

  • 21 years ago

    Jay most of what you're looking for will be at the Middle TN Plant Swap...for free!
    My wife and I saw a bunch of the pussy willow trees at the Nashville Flea Market last weekend but I don't recall the asking price.
    I'll send you the notice about the Swap too.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks! I don't have much to contribute at the swap, and I know you all say to come anyway, but I hate to be a freeloader. That said, I'd love to come.

    And thanks for the tip on the pussy willow tree. I'll hit the flea market.

  • 21 years ago

    Lavonne and I are going to try and make it Sunday. One of my customers has something to do with it and she's the one that told me about it.

  • 21 years ago

    Boy, trees are EXPENSIVE! I went to John Deere in Franklin yesterday and ended up leaving with a laceleaf red select japanese maple, on clearance for $25. The pussy willows were great, but $125 and up. Too rich for my blood, but if I can find one at the flea market, expo or elsewere, I might still be in the market. Hope to see you all at the expo.

  • 21 years ago

    I'll be there Friday and Saturday, as GroWild is running a booth there. Franklinjay, we're not bringing Echinacea purpurea as we figure others will have it, but if you're interested in different coneflowers we'll have both TN Coneflower (E. tennesseensis) and Yellow Coneflower (E. paradoxa) there. Plus all manner of other native perennials and cultivars, of course.

    Marty

  • 21 years ago

    The Expo was great! I went crazy with all the plants I've never seen before. I now have a ton to get in the ground tomorrow.

    Soeur, sorry to have missed you. I saw Growild, but didn't make the connection. I actually asked one guy if he was you at another booth... anyway, I want some of those yellow coneflowers. May have to come back out.

  • 21 years ago

    Was there last night, stopped at the Growild booth, but Marty was out (I enjoyed talking with the lady who was there, can't remember her name though).
    I told myself not to make any "impulsive" purchases, but I ended up leaving with a "Duranta" plant/tree (sigh...)

    I was supposed to be buying "sensible" plants....couldn't help it though. It was love at first site. Hope I can keep it alive (it has to be overwintered indoors, which I don't have much luck with). My cat is in love with it (trying to eat it), so I have it hiding in a closet until it gets warm enough to bring it outside today. I'm thinking of burying the pot in the new perennial garden and just lifiting it out in the fall. It should make a good "focal point, as I'm just starting out with a small bed this year. But I digress....

    If you go, don't miss:

    -The booth on the lower level with the clay pots- ("Puddingpots", or something like that). They're selling some really neat mosses. Going to put them in a glass terrarium.

    -The wildlife rescue booth on the lower level (they had
    owls and a Red-Tailed Hawk with them, and they're really
    nice people to talk to.

    -The Growild booth (didn't get any plants yet, because I'm planning a trip out there in a couple of weeks.)

    -Davidson Cty. Master Gardener booth (lower level) -nice people, and have plants for sale


    I'll be there on Sunday (volunteering), and will most likely come home with more adopted plants!

  • 20 years ago

    Have you heard about Freecycle? Did you know there is a new website for Williamson County Gardeners freecycle. Spring is almost here and we will be sharing our seeds, thinning our perennials or just have plants to give away. Come join us, the more members the more to offer and want. Pots, unusual garden items you don't want anymore. Someone else does. And it's all free. Offer what you don't want and take what someone else offers. Check us out. Tips, help, ideas.

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WmsCoGardeners

    The best site to share your plants and to find those hard to find plants you are looking for! A great way to meet other avid gardeners whose passion is working in their yard and enjoying the beauty of their work. Tips and ideas for sunny, shady and those hard to plant areas.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Williamson County Gardeners Freecycle

  • 20 years ago

    I heard about it last year, right after the show, and all of it was good. The wife and I will be going this year for sure. Also I like the fact that it's being held in the spring and not in Feb. or early March like the other shows in the Mid-State area. Any plants purchased at those, have kept in the house for a month or more b/4 you can plant them. I can't wait to see the GroWild booth!

    Billy in the Boro'

  • 19 years ago

    Anybody have the dates for the 2007 show??

  • 19 years ago

    I don't think that the Williamson County Master Gardeners have set a date yet. They don't have the 2007 info on thier site anyway.

    But the date has been set for the spring Middle Tennessee Plant Swap! Saturday, May 19th is the day you need to circle on your calander.

  • 19 years ago

    I, for one, can't wait for the Bloom'n Garden Expo, and this may be the year that I can attend the swap with something to contribute! Expo dates that I've seen have been April 13-15.

  • 19 years ago

    There is a new website for the bloom n garden, and it is www.bloomngarden.com
    the show is scheduled april 13,14,15, 2007

    Here is a link that might be useful: bloom n garden website

Sponsored