Software
Houzz Logo Print
hirevs

new to the forum

20 years ago

Hello,

I am from Knoxville and new here, just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I just moved into a new house with an amazing amount of trees and flowers, and we also want to grow a vegetable garden this year. I have not had one in awhile and I am itching to get at it.

I have two questions I would like to ask of you all. One is, we found a muscadine vine on the property and we cleared away old dead vines and the vine is doing beatufully, is there anything we need to know more about this lovely plant? Also, we found a peach tree, I really want this peach tree to do well, any advice?

My husband grows Bonsai trees, so we are looking at a wonderful for his trees and the garden. I planted two straweberry plants today and I am so excited. Sheez, I think this might be the best year ever for growing.

Comments (9)

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome to Knoxville! Be sure to come to the East TN/Knoxville plant swap on May 27th -- there's gonna be tons of great stuff there!

    As for your wild grape -- are you sure it's a muscadine? There are many worthless wild grapes around here. What you most need to know about it is that it WILL take over the world if you give it half a chance. Watch it carefully, or it may crawl in your window some night! LOL!

    As for the peach tree -- I don't know much about fruit trees, but my parents' peaches seem pretty tough. They produce fruit every year with NO care. Make sure it gets plenty of water, and if you get serious about it there's all sorts of web sites that'll tell you all about how to fertilize and spray it for bugs and diseases and so on. Have fun with it!

  • 20 years ago

    hey amazindirt,

    thank you for replying, yes it is muscadine, I looked it up, thing is I dunno if it is male or female and if it will produce. The Old woman who lived here grew everything, there are still canning jars in the basement of this house, and some still have stuff in them, ewhhh. She died six years ago of a broken heart it seems, I swear, we talked with the landlord, her husband died and she withered away six years later.
    The thing is they left a home with about 100 different plants growing here. I am so excited I am bursting.

    I want to come to the swap, and meet you all, where will it be? I live in South Knoxville, where are you?

    thanks
    deb

  • 20 years ago

    Oooooo, I just LOVE properties with old gardens. Have tons of fun scoping it all out!

    I live smack in the middle of town. The swap will be at TNShadyLady 's (Cheryl P's) house north of town. I actually won't be there (sob!), but I WILL be arranging pre-trades and taking plants down there before the swap, so they can get swapped without me. ;-)

    If you ever want some help searching through all your new plants, just let me know. I seriously love that kind of thing. :-)

  • 20 years ago

    Deb,
    Please check out the link below for more info on the Knox Swap. We are expecting a good sized crowd from multiple gardening clubs/sites, and would love to have you join us.

    And also, there is another local swap on Sunday, May 7 at the Seymour Community Park. If you will check out the exchange section of the Tn. Gardening Forum, look for info posted by SmokyMist on this one.

    Please attend either or both! And welcome to Knoxville!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Knox Plant Swap

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Debbie,

    Welcome to GardenWeb. I've learned a lot here and hope to learn a lot more.

    I love your art work and especially love your gallery with the little bubbles to click on. What a unique and creative way to show your work. I loved the work about the honeymoon. Reminds me of the Lord of the Rings movie.

    Katie

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you tnshadylady and Katie,

    Hope to meet both of you at the swap. I think I will get my husbands help on a few things we are growing and see what might make it, we have alot of these little blue bells and white bell flowers growing in the front yard in shade, but we also have iris galore, I just don't know if I can transplant them easily. We found another peach tree today, with slick seeds as oppossed to fuzzy seeds coming out on the other tree. weird.

    I think I will bring potato salad, its goooood.

    Thanks Katie for looking at the page, yep, that piece you mentioned was commissioned to look a bit like lord of the rings, I also painted frodo and sam for a collector game gard assignment long ago. I've been trying to get an assignment from National Geographic for a year now, wish me luck.

    revs

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Deb,

    Welcome to the area !! For another great plant swap, on May 7th, in Seymour ( right up the road from you ), send me an email at fai34@chartertn.net . It's called the East Tennessee Mountain Madness Plant Swap. We have gardeners coming from all over the state and some very interesting 'celebrities' attending lol.
    Here is a link with a bit of information on the swap, plus the link to the yahoo group we have going for it. The two swaps are far enough apart that you could easily attend both, meet alot of new gardeners in the area, and rack up on plants for your gardens !!

    Here is a link that might be useful: East Tennessee Mountain Madness Plantswap

  • 20 years ago

    wow, cooool

    Ok, thats two weeks away, I need to get busy

    thankyou
    deb

  • 20 years ago

    Hello Deb, welcome to the Tennessee Forum of GardenWeb. Along with the Mountain Madness Swap in Seymour and the East TN Swap in Knoxville, we also have the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap on Saturday May 20th. There should be in excess of 100 gardeners in attendance which equates to thousands of plants. So if you don't mind the drive, we guarantee you will have a wonderful experience. We have a lot of folks from the East TN and West TN areas as well as surrounding states that come. Some make it a one-day trip while others camp out at the site and make a weekend out of it. For more information you can visit the website at www.midtnplantswap.com or email me at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net.

Sponsored