Software
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol

Swap pics, memories.......ect.

21 years ago

I'm interested to get a response from everyone who has attended any of the Mid TN Swaps in the past.

What is your fondest memory, the coolest plant that you swapped for, the most unique thing or plant that you've seen, the funniest thing (excluding my looks), the most informative thing that you learned....just cut loose and tell what you love about the MTPS. If you want to post some pics of stuff that you got at the Swap, go for it!

The most wonderful thing for Lavonne and I is the friends that we have made. We can't express how much we enjoy hangin' with you guys and the relationships that we've formed. That to us is priceless!!! The fact that we've almost single-handedly landscaped our yard from the stuff we got at the Swap is just an added plus. The knowledge we've gleaned from some of you is staggering. We were watching Marty last night on TV doing a segment on African Violets and I told Lavonne that she has probably forgotten more stuff than I'll ever learn in my life.

Ya'll go ahead, have at it and impress me with stuff that I forgot about.

If you've never attended the MTP Swap before, sit back and be amazed. It's addictive, once you come to your first one you'll never miss another.

Comments (22)

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    New FRIENDS, fig tree, oak leaf hydrangea, mop head hydrangea, bleeding heart, bear foot fern, datura, oooooohhhhh, too many to mention. I just enjoy watching everyone have so much fun at these get togethers! I'm glad we have the campground to share with so many. Mona White and I have hit it off REAL BIG...and I am so thankful for that.

    Now, who's next?

    Jan

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    WHERE IS EVERYBODY???

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jeff, I'm going to say the absence of replies to this thread are due to the nice weather this last weekend...and say that everyone was outside playing in the dirt! BUT with rain coming in, I hope you get some more replies. SURELY someone other than you, Lavonne, and I have enjoyed the swaps! If you don't get any more, I will be very disappointed. :(

    Jan

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Never met a bad person at the swap. Gardeners are such nice
    people. Captain Compost has worked me to death (never should
    have listened to that fellow) but I guess the exercise is
    good for me. Moved a mountain of straw this winter, from
    a local farmer. Before Captain Compost, it would still be
    sitting in the guy's field. I just love everyone I have met
    at the swap. Plan on attending the spring swap, if Jeff will
    loan me enough money for a tank of fuel.
    Norm

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Norm you know I'm tighter than new shoes. That's why we live at Cheapwood! I would have bought yours and Cheryls gas if the IRS hadn't hit me up for $1,500.

    Out of the tons of plants that we've left with from the Swap I'd have to say that the coolest was the Musa Banana that we got from Rob. I never expected one 16" plant to have grown into a dozen trees that were 10' x10' in two years! Thankfully we were able to share about eight of those with you guys at the Fall Swap.

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Uggh I've been out of town. We drove to Duluth over the weekend, so when I wake up tomorrow I'll answer this with all of my wonderful memories.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    OK, Cheryl, ~pant, pant~ we're waiting.....

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Now how on earth can I narrow that down ? I've been to the swap for what 3 years now ? I don't know what my favorites would be but I'll just try and remember some of the plants and good times...there have been so many ! The first time I met Marianne...woman you're like a little hurricane lol. Love you to pieces. I remember we had set up a pre-trade and she must have brought me a dozen named iris , a black magic elephant ear, and what else I can't remember that first year. Last year I brought home the huge Rose of Sharon that is currently staked out in my front yard from Marianne too. Mona, I fondly remember the year you brought a bunch of named daylilies and had them so neatly tagged and I have enjoyed that gorgeous big Red daylily ( the name escapes me right now )for 2 years now. At the fall swap Mona brought me some gorgeous crinums that are even now shooting green out and I can't wait to see them bloom. Renee ...has given me such a variety , her and her mom, hostas that first year, daylilies last year, the list goes on. Jeff, you banana, lol that's what I remember you best for, I will never forget seeing you drive up with those 8' tall banana trees in the back of your truck, and those dahlias which I can't wait to see bloom. Norm, you gave me my first Streptocarpella, and I've loved it so much and it's delicate little blooms. During the last swap I got to meet your wife, and see who puts up with you ;o) she's just as sweet as you are. I just absolutely could not list everything and I'm afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. I havn't forgotten you I just know I can't keep going on and on and I've got so much to write !!
    My favorite part of the swap, is when we pull up in the van, and hop out and I get a hug from Jan, and Mona, and Jeff , and Catie get's her hug from Jan and Mona ( who calls her her baby and Catie just adores it ). It doesn't feel like I'm going to some swap out in the country, if feels like I'm going to a family reunion.

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jan, now we can't have you disappointed!

    Now I am going to speak only for myself. I'll get Doug on here too.

    Last spring was our first ever plant swap of any kind, so we were sqeaking we were so new. I totally agree with Cheryl. It was like going to a family reunion! Even though we only knew everyone through this forum, it felt like getting together with old friends. Mona and Jan made us feel so welcome with their warm hugs and Jim was so sweet to my kids that they just snuggled right up to him like an uncle. Doug and I have camped in many beautiful places in TN and the Buffalo River is right up there at the top of the list. The sound of the river rushing by at night was a lullabye to my ears. Our family is always rushing here and there, and that weekend helped us to slow down and enjoy each other and spend quality time together. Really it was almost like the plants were second fiddle to the being there with all the friendly faces, beautiful scenery...oh, and lets not forget about the FOOD!

    Looking forward to next month! I have been digging, dividing, cutting, sowing like crazy to get prepared.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This is more like it. Rebecca, and Cheryl can't wait to see you both, and your kids, too.

    SEE YOU AT THE RIVER May 21st.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Okay, so do y'all bring pot luck for lunch? And do you have donated door prizes? Do you do pre-swap trades over the forum? I have so many questions. Please email me.
    Thanks, Linda

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yes, yes, and...yes!

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm planning on coming to the swap this year. I'm hoping to drag my DH. I'd hate to leave the dogs though. I wonder if it would be ok to bring them. They are very good dogs.

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hello to everyone!
    Thanks Jeff for starting this thread. David and I have been at all the swaps, all 6 of them. I can truthfully say that they are the highlight of our year. We plan everything we do around these two dates each year. Do I love it? You bet your farm that I do. We have made many friends and met so many new people at each swap.
    Jan has become my best friend since the Spring of 2002. I talk(email) with her more than anyone locally, she's the best! When we first met Jeff, he was single and now he has married the love of his life, so wonderful!Lavonne keeps Jeff in line and adorns our Swap with her pretty smile. Norman came alone the first time, brought a friend the second and finally got around to bringing his wife. She is so nice and this after being married to him for soooo long. I remember Marrianne as the lady with the truck load of plants, including some full grown shrubs. I was amazed that anyone had dug that many plants in one day! Of course, I know how she does it now, she digs like crazy and then according to some Tennesse smokie, she drives the same way!Cheryl brought her children to that first swap and I immediately fell in love with Catie and now she's my baby girl. Eric, her son, is nearly grown now, boy has he changed in 3 years. Cheryl was known as the sedum lady that first swap but now I have her addicted to daylilies like me. Renee, the smartest young lady that I've ever met and with such a beautiful mother, Betty. They look like twins instead of mom and daughter! Renee also was single and now she's got such a wonderful hubby and Betty is now wearing a huge stone on her left hand! The local ladies, Mrs Vaughn and her sister are so special to me. I just love talking with them. And then came Doug and Rebecca with their two beautiful children I was amazed at two such well behaved children. The son was about to bust to go fishing, but he set and listened to everything until time was right for the fish. The little red haired girl caught everyones' heart faster than any buzzing bee! Jim, Jan's dear hubby, gets to be with us, only when he gets a break in his canoe business. Now of course, he always gets a break when the dinner bell rings. Oh yes, Marti! The TV lady was a pleasure to met. She's right up there with Renee on the smarts and loves plants as much as we all do. This just proves that the camera doesn't ruin everyone.

    We've had so many new people in 3 years and names are absolutely my worst problem when it comes to memory, but I can truthfully say that I love you all, each and everyone. I have more wonderful plants than I ever dreamed of having and most have come from these swaps. Notice, I talked about the people first. You too, will put plants second to the friendships that you will make. As someone else said, it's like a huge family reunion with all your friends invited too.
    I have been the secretary for the last three years and finally got another volunteer for the job this year and I jumped at the chance to take a break. Jeff is doing a wonderful job and when he gets to the swap and starts telling everyone what to do, ya'll be good for him, like you always was for me!hehe Folks, ya'll are the best. Jan, God inspired you when you had the idea for this swap. I humbly thank you for your time, for the use of your property and for your love that you show to us all.

    May God bless each and everyone with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Sorry, I don't think so many people, plants, and food would mix too well with dogs...I think it is better if we say "NO"

    Jan :)

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    All right, here I am. I would have to say that since last years spring swap was our first, it was our most memorable(Ha!). I had a great time just talking to all of the folks on this forum in person. I especially enjoyed sitting around after the swap and talking to Captain Compost, Jim, and Jeff. We have made some really good freinds here and plan on being at the swaps from here on.

    As a side note to the swap, Captain Compost was a great success as a speaker at the AHS region 10 Mid Winter Symposium this past February, and from what I hear his speaking schedule was getting full with requests from other attendees.

    Doug
    I3

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    who is Captain Compost? Is he a cartoon, or for real?

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Well, I have seen pictures of him wearing a mask and cape, but he is a real person.

    Doug,
    I3

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Man, I would love to meet Captain Compost!!! I really really would.. now that I have several compost piles going... maybe one day!!!lol I am really looking forward to the swap, and I am bringing a friend from work -she is fun and loves plants as much as us all!!

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Well, Jeff, guess there aren't any more people with good memories of past swaps. ~sigh~

    Jan

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey, I've been outside playing in the dirt, instead of on the computer. (*grin*)

    I have a couple of rather unigue memories related to the MTSP. When the Volunteer Gardener segment aired the first time, no one had told my brother and sister-in-law we'd been there and might be on film. My brother says he was on the computer while my SIL was watching TV. All of a sudden she starts screaming "Your sister's on television!"

    But an even better memory came from when it aired again, several months later. This time my mom caught it, and she called me up just to tell me "Boy, you sure have lost a LOT of weight since then!"

  • 21 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    It sure would be nice if Joe (TNGreenThumb) could post some of those fine pictures from Swaps past. Hint, hint, hint.

Sponsored