Software
Houzz Logo Print
sissyz_gw

We had 39*, what did you have??

21 years ago

39* in Bartlett, TN. Broc and Brussels loved it, I don't have tomatoes in yet, how did ya'll do??!!

Sissy

Comments (18)

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Sissy,
    I live in Guntown, Ms and it was 39 when I got up at 6am. Not quite as cold as predicted. I had covered peppers, tomatos, bouginvilla and parasol trees that had baby leaves, trees are only about 2' tall. Everything is ok, but it sure was close. If it had been much colder, I'm afraid it would have really hurt. Some of my plants have that green/brown look that indicates they nearly froze, but not quite. Thank the Lord for that. I was busy covering my plants yesterday and thought about the people in our area that raise tomatos to sale. How much hard work they have already put in and they could have lost it all. There may be some that did get hurt. I sure do pray that they were spared a diaster(sp?)

    It's going to be pretty today but cold. I hope you all have a good day and May God bless you and yours with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Sissy:
    I'm here in Spring Hill. I put my thermometer outside in the shade around 7am this morning--it was 34F. Brrrrrr.

    Last night I used sheets to cover the annuals I had planted the other day...I should have waited until tomorrow to plant them, but I just couldn't wait! LOL Husband put upside down coolers over his 5 tomato plants.

    Might have to repeat all this again tonight! Hope this is the last of the cold-cold.

    Claudia :-)

  • 21 years ago

    Groan, we had 30 this morning...you could see the frost on the rows of the garden...luckily we covered up everything that needed it last night.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Wheww! Everything here looks the same -- either as good or as bad as it looked yesterday -- LOL! The "weatherbug" said it was 39 degrees last night when I checked. I couldn't really cover anything since I am keeping my sons 5 month old twins this weekend, but I'm so glad this "blackberry winter" wasn't so bad down here in Olive Branch this year. It still is only 44 degrees here at 9:45 a.m.

    Katie

  • 21 years ago

    When I got up at 7 AM it was 39 deg (in nashville). The tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, lettuce, etc are doing fine. I did bring in my basil...it'll stay in tonight too, if the cats will continue to ignore it. My biggest worry is the wind blowing the heck out of the little serviceberries (planted ~6 weeks ago, finally both are leafing out!). I think I'm being overanxious. ;)
    It was 47 deg @ ~ 1030 AM so I am hopeful it will warm up.
    What an irony -- in about 2 months I'll be whining about how hot it is! :)

  • 21 years ago

    I got up at 7am and the computer said 36 and my themomoter outside the kitchen window read 40. (Knoxville) I left Brugmansia and several other tropicals outside and so far, they look ok. All I know is that it is too cold for me! I have started filtering the water in our pool and had to go out and clean the filter basket with a sweater on!

    Ouch Jan! Sounds like you have gotten the lowest temp!

    Someone pleast tell me this is Blackberry Winter rather than Dogwood Winter. Isn't Blackberry Winter the last one?

    Mel

  • 21 years ago

    I sure hope this is our last freeze! I really want to get my annuals planted, but everyone tells me to wait til mothers day. :)

  • 21 years ago

    Knoxville's official low was 35. I dunno what it was here at the house. I took in most of the really tender stuff. I left out some coleus and impatiens, some of which looks a little sad but definitely surviving.

    Our forecast says 33 for tonight!

  • 21 years ago

    An 88 yr old man at church this morning said this is dogwood winter and we still have blackberry winter to go yet, :( sorry Mel.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Ya'll someone please tell me what blackberry winter, dogwood winter means! Thanks!

  • 21 years ago

    I told you Memphis people not to worry about this. Memphis had never recorded a freeze ever past April 16th. And I said that that would not change. We fell to 43F last night, even above the forecasted low.

    I really try not to pay attention to those goofy forecasters. I look at the numbers then I make my own assessment. I have found that if I listen to everything they say, I end up being stressed out all the time over something that never materializes.

  • 21 years ago

    At 6:50 AM, the temp was reading 34 on the south side of Knoxville, thankfully. Tender perennials and annuals were protected along with tomato and bean plants. Vegetable garden looked like a makeshift city with numerous cardboard boxes, blankets, buckets, et al. Now if we can make it through tonight without a hard freeze.

    Almost made a huge picking of iris not knowing what a freeze would do to them. Glad that I didn't. Good luck to all.

  • 21 years ago

    I just got back from Lowes, and while they had moved a bunch of plants inside (they were everywhere!) - they still had lots of damage. So sad to see the limp coleus, fushias, and impatiens.

  • 21 years ago

    Recorded 33° in my itsy bitsy greenhouse on the deck this morning. Left all the brugs out and only brought in the tender tropicals. Will probably keep them in until tomorrow.

    I thought dogwood winter set the buds on the dogwoods? There are so many winters I can't keep them straight. I just call it aggrevation!

    Yay! Mel is crankin' up the pool!

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    We hit 29* here in Alpine. What a frost we had! Almost looked like a small snow...lol..The old people say...Thunder in February, frost in May. So we may still have a few more frosts. I sure hope not though, covering all this stuff up is hard work!...PC

  • 21 years ago

    Redbud winter, dogwood winter, blackberry winter ...when these plants are blooming, there is always a cold spell...you can count on it...every year it happens. Though we missed redbud winter this year for some reason....hope we aren't going to make it up later in the spring!

    Hope this helps...watch the balckberries...when they are in full bloom...that's the next cold spell.

    Hope this helps Jennbenn

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks Jan, that's a new one for me!!

  • 21 years ago

    Good explination, Jan! Your friend at church is the one to listen to. Only the older folks can tell for sure which winter we are having. This is a wisdom that only comes with age!

Sponsored