Software
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

Hydroponics

21 years ago

Does anyone in the Knoxville or surrounding area know where I could find hydroponic supplies? Specifically looking for clay aggregate pellets (LECA) and net pots. I can find it online, but the shipping costs are outrageous!

Thanks,

Rebecca

Comments (14)

  • 21 years ago

    The closest hydroponic store that I know of is:
    Advanced Hydroponic
    783 French Mill Rd
    Dandridge, Tennessee 37725
    Toll Free: 1-800-521-1643
    Phone: 865-397-6299

  • 21 years ago

    how much do you need? i live in knoxville and work a lot with hobby level hydroponics. i generally get mine from All-Seasons Gardens in Nashville. i may have a little bit laying around the house someplace? email me @ handsomeryan@caraudio.com if you want. i'd love to see your 'ponics sometime and of course i love to show off mine :)

    Here is a link that might be useful: a few pics of my hydroponics

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Cheryl, thanks for the info. I did find them in the phone book after I posted this. May need to do a little road trip for a visit.

    Ryan, I am dabbling in S/H with orchids. I have a few that I have transferred so far and would like to do the rest. I've had a large pot with the LECA clay pellets in it for many years and have grown different plants during that time and wasn't even aware I was doing something S/H, LOL!

    I also want to use the LECA pellets with a project my son and I want to do. We are going to build a plaudarium and I would like to do the land area in the clay pellets and low light tropical plants.

    We were given a setup that consists of a 5 gallon bucket, 6 net pots, and lava rock with a pump down inside, and I don't have the slightest idea how to set it up, nutrients to use, etc. Would like to grow some veggies this year in it.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Did you make a road trip, Rebecca??? Do tell!!!!
    Mel

  • 21 years ago

    I responded to Mel privately, but here is what I found in case anyone is interested.

    It is about a 30 minute drive, about 10 miles past the Sevierville exit on I 40. It is a small place, kind of a road side market/hydroponics supply store. Get your rock wool and toilet paper in the same place! LOL! There was a little old lady running the place and she was so knowlegable and answered all my neophyte questions. There was a growing room where she was growing huge tomato plants and the nicest looking maters I ever saw. Not a split or blemish on them. There must have been about 20 plants in a 5 X 3 area. There was a whole room full of the nutrients used in hydroponics. So many that I would not know which to use. She gave me a magazine to read and a catalog with products and descriptions. There was a greenhouse out back but was not being used at the moment.

    I bought 10 liters of hydroton clay pellets for $10 and some rock wool cubes. That amount of hydroton would have cost about $20 online and then $10 in shipping.

    Here is our little setup that I just finished. I have both woody and green cuttings of variegated Weigela. I put an aquarium heater inside set at 70°. It is very similar to the RainForest 36 by General Hydroponics. I found info on how it works and how to set it up here.

    {{gwi:1278392}}

    Ryan, Hydroponics Online was a great read! Lots of info and pics. Thanks a bunch.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    no problem. you can build that rainforest36 for like $30 (i think they are about $90 to buy?) i know they have several sizes of net pots (and some other stuff we can use in hydroponics) @ "The Aquarium Store" off papermill rd. in west knoxville. and pumps and buckets are available everyplace.good luck w/ your cuttings we wanna see root pics soon. ~Ryan

  • 21 years ago

    I don't know how much was spend on this setup, but yes it does look like it would be cheap and easy to replicate.

    Oh yes, love the aquarium store. I recently bought a 750 gph pump for less than $15 a couple of weeks ago to use in my pond. Cheap entertainment for the kids too, LOL!

    How long do you think it would take until roots show? I will probably pot them up as soon as I see roots. Have two plant swaps coming up! :)

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    I can't believe you came my way and didn't take me with you Rebecca , shame on you !! LOL . Looks like another road trip to me lol. O.k. you guys where is this Aquarium store ? Ryan I still want your help when the time comes !

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Cheryl, if you take I-40 to Papermill rd exit, snake your way through the construction over to Weisgarber rd. Take a left onto Weisgarber and you will come to the light at Papermill. Take a right and be looking for a banner-type sign on your left. Follow the drive beside the building (I think there is a dance studio there) up the hill and Aquarium will be at the very top on the right. You will like it! A great fish room. They also carry pond plants and koi out back. The prices are a tad steep, but a nice selection. Most plants I believe are 8.99 and up. I have been a customer there since 1998 when I started keeping fish. Super nice folks! I believe they advertise as the largest supply store in the south.

    Heck, come on over and I'll take ya! I love going over there.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Next week, it's a date, only you know i'll have the kids with me...heck we can fit yours and mine in my van can't we ? lol

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Sounds great Cheryl! Give me a holler when you wanna go. If it is during school hours, I will just have Maleah :). Your right, I doubt I could fit two teenagers in my back seat with a car seat too, LOL! Dang I need a Suburban!

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    I want to go too!!! Can you imagine the trouble the 3 of us could get into? Thelma and Louise, look out!!! We can hit the mini Popes on Northshore. I also spied a neat looking nursery across the street!

    You can come pick up your Pink Princess when you come this way Cheryl!

    I love your set up, Rebecca. I'll have to see that close up and personal. Keep us posted on how they do! Plus, we have to take Maleah. She gets us brownie points every where we go!!!

    Mel

  • 21 years ago

    Ok if you two can figure out how we can fit everyone in a van, we can all go lol. My van seats 7 , hey that would be me and my kids, you and your kids and Mel, just right. Whoo whoo. Ok ya'll just pick a date!!

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Road Trip!!!!

    I am open to any day.

Sponsored