Software
Houzz Logo Print
debwk_gw

Knoxville, TN Hens

21 years ago

Hi there,

Does anybody know if it's allright to keep hens in Knoxville? Also, I recently visited Knoxville and was struck by the land there. It's very pretty - but what's it like to live there? I lived for a short time as a child in Hendersonville, NC (my relatives (kin) go way back there, but as I was born in the North, I have some awful memories of the kids yelling "Yankee Go Home" at me as I was walking home from school. Is it still the same? Gosh, I hope not. I do, however, have some very wonderful and "exotic" memories, though - snapping green beans on the back porch with my Aunt, eating the best biscuits and gravy ever made, shooting a rifle with my Granddad, and gutting possum with him! Currently, I'm back in CT after spending years in Oregon, but don't like it at all here. I'm just looking for a nice place to raise our family, garden and keep a few hens in the backyard without all the political rhetoric I found in Oregon. Any thoughtful responses would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

  • 21 years ago

    Oh my goodness! Really, they said "Yankee go home!"? How bizarre. Rest assured, that doesn't happen these days. A college town like Knoxville is pretty diverse. Up in the hills, on the other hand.....

    As for the hen question, here is the Knox County Code.

    The city codes are, of course, more restrictive, and you can search them here. You'll want to read more carefully than I did, but it looks like the hens would have to be 500 feet away from any human dwellings in the city. Pretty silly.

  • 21 years ago

    I love living in TN. But it isn't for everyone! I lived in Salt Lake City for five years, but I couldn't stand being away so I came back. Of course, the most gorgeous country on earth IMHO is East TN/West NC. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    Lots of folks here chose to live in the county and not within the city limits. If you are wanting a place to garden and keep a few chickens, there are plenty of developed areas within the county.

    I live in a subdivision in the county and am frequently lucky enough to hear cows mooing, roosters crowing or peacocks screaming.

  • 21 years ago

    Debwk, we just moved from Sevier County to New Market in Jefferson County. We are 10 minutes away from Knoxville - but such a world of difference. We have three acres, beautiful garden, and getting ready to order our hens. We've been here since February and can't think why we didn't do this sooner.

    Sevier County is getting a little crowded and our subdivision did not allow poultry; hence the move.

    We are transplants from the North and have been living here in East TN now for about 15 years. All our neighbors who were born and raised here in the South (both in this neighborhood and our old neighborhood) are absolutely wonderful, friendly, very helpful, and can't wait for you to join their church. You couldn't ask for better.

    I don't know what it would be like living in Knoxville, but personally it would be a little too busy for us, we're more laid back and relaxed which is why we left the big city up North.

    You might want to consider the outskirts of Knox County or even one of the surrounding counties. Everything around here is beautiful.

    Just food for thought...

    Christine

  • 21 years ago

    People and Knoxville and the surrounding areas are some of the nicest you'll meet anywhere. It makes living here very pleasant. Cost of living is very low.
    You can find what you want around Knoxville or in any of the small towns on the hills and in the valleys nearby and still be 10-15 minutes from shopping, schools and medical care.

  • 21 years ago

    Your lucky you like Knoxville. You would not believe what they holler at the yanks, here in Memphis!!
    ~~grin~~~

  • 21 years ago

    So sorry this is a bit off subject, but speaking of Memphis, can anyone compare Memphis to Knoxville--I have really never been, but have lived here in Memphis since 79- I think its worlds away but..?? I love the south and its my home for sure, been here since I was 9.. but how is it really over there compared to here anyone know??

  • 21 years ago

    Memphis is much bigger, of course....also hotter and muggier. Oh, and a lot flatter! LOL. I haven't been there in a loooong time, but I remember it seeming more "big city"ish.

  • 21 years ago

    I was born and raised in Connecticut and recently moved from Milford to 30 miles south of Nashville almost two years ago. I do not know Knoxville, but all the TN areas I checked to move to had city codes and most subdivisions will not allow any poultry or livestock - all lots of restrictions on fencing, cars, etc.

    Make the move, especially if you have a young family. It is beautiful out here, the people are very friendly and welcoming, and you will feel free - there is so much open space. My biggest challenge is learning the local lingo and getting used to driving 15 miles to anything. But I would not live in a rat race again.

    I don't know about Knoxville, but we only saw snow flurries, with no snow sticking to the ground all last winter. John and I were joking that we should have brought the snowblower with us and charged 25 cents admission to see it!!!

    Sharon

Sponsored