Software
Houzz Logo Print
kim31kim

Best hosta source in Tennessee?

21 years ago

Hi everybody!

A friend and I are interested in going on a hosta finding expedition and are trying to find the best places to purchase hostas here in Tennessee.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Kim

Comments (22)

  • 21 years ago

    Hands down, Hewitts has the best selection of hostas. Make sure you ask where they all are because sometimes they are spread out all over the nursery.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks Renee!

    Are you referring to this place:
    Hewitt Garden & Design Center
    (615) 661-6767
    2525 21st Ave S

    I've never been there... actually, the only nursery I've been to in Nashville is Bates. I need to get out and check out some new ones this summer.

  • 21 years ago

    This won't help you in Nashville -- but in Knoxville, the local hosta society is hosting a lecture by a well-known hosta hybridizer (sorry, I'm not a hosta expert -- can't remember his name!) next Saturday night on the UT campus. They're also having their annual sale within the next coupla weeks. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks for the tip amazondoc! It reminded me that we have a local hosta club or something like that and they have a sale each year. This is my first year being crazy over hostas, so I never went before, but I think this year I'll definitely look for it.

  • 21 years ago

    I was at the Moore & Moore West garden center yesterday, and they had a very nice selection IMO. I'm not that into hostas, so I can't say if they had rare or unusual varieties. But it seemed like there was some variety and the plants were healthy & large. Better than Lowe's a month ago, anyhow. Good luck! :)

  • 21 years ago

    Yes, Kim, that's the place, and next time you are at Bates on the weekend, say Hi to me! I'll probably be checking people out at the cash register.
    Renee

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks DurtGrrl! I'll check out Moore & Moore!

    Renee, that is so neat that you work at Bates! I've always thought that would be a really great place to work. Were you there last summer too? I made many many trips last summer.

    If I see a nametag that says Renee, I'll definitely say hi and introduce myself! :)

  • 21 years ago

    Yes, I was there a lot last summer. Look for the name tag that says 'Toni Renee'. It keeps the confusion down since Mrs. Bates' name is also Renee.

  • 21 years ago

    I would recommend looking at the Sunshine Hollow website, but I cant find a list of all of the cultivars that they sell on the website. I know the owners personally, and they sell probably a couple hundred varieties of Hosta as well as Daylilies.

    You could either email them or you could just call Dave and Vicki to see if they can get the information for you, Maybe im just website impaired.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine Hollow Gardens

  • 21 years ago

    I was just going to say that there are more Renee's at Bates that you can shake a stick at.
    Look for the blonde hottie or just ask for Dr. Renee. ;-)

    Hewitts Garden and Design Center is at 2525 Hillsboro Rd. in Franklin, 661-6767. I like John Deere Landscape at 1109 Hillsboro Rd in Franklin, 591-2550.

    Renee you and Eric need to come with us to the next meeting at Cheekwood on May 10th @ 6:30. There will be a plant swap and members panel: "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Daylilies but Were Afraid to Ask." It's only $10 to join!!!
    Ya'll come to Green Hills this Saturday and holler at us too. Come over to the crib afterwards and I'll even fix dinner. You can name the menu.

  • 21 years ago

    No offense to hosta fanciers, but I just can't get into them. There just doesn't seem to be much variation in the hosta world. Perhaps it is subtle, a refined taste, like one's wine palate becomes over time. As for me, I'm still into the big, bright flowers. But I would like to see a blue-flowering hosta. That is exotic, to me. I saw on the website you mentioned that they have three blue-flowering varieties.

  • 21 years ago

    Absolute best place might not be in business any longer. You could go to their little cozy cabin looking business/home in the woods , where they specialize in hostas and heucheras and literally walk through cleared out paths in the woods where hostas lined the ground by the hundreds. I was there last year, and she was thinking about going out of public business and just selling privately. It's in Friendsville, now if I can just find the name of it for you. I have pictures too, I was so astounded at the find.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Found a picture. Click on the link. All those plants are hostas...

    Cheryl

    Here is a link that might be useful: Hostas

  • 21 years ago

    The place Cheryl is referring to is (or was) called Cedar Creek Nursery located off of US 321 between Maryville and Lenoir City. It has been out of business for 2 years or so now. They were propagating patented plants.

    Someone mentioned Sunshine Hollow. They seem to charge an admission fee of $5 ($4 over 60 years) just to get in. This seems ridiculous to me. If this is not correct, I wish someone would advise this forum.

  • 21 years ago

    Oh, there's another one in Sevierville that I didn't think of. I can't think of the name -- it's a strange, long name -- off Wears Valley Rd. Whatintheheck is the name of that place? They have some interesting plants, also lots of hostas. Uhhhh.....wish I could think of it!

  • 21 years ago

    That place in Sevierville, Tn, behind the old Ogles Water park off of Wears Valley road is gone too. I can't remember the name either....Plant your Garden?....Friendly Plants?....something that was obviously stupid if we can't remember it. Anyway, it's been gone for a year.

  • 21 years ago

    Oh, too bad. I guess they needed a better name!

  • 21 years ago

    Michaela, it is out of public business, but she still sells privately. I purchased a ton of Heucheras from her last summer. If you just run by there and ask, she'll sell to you. Not to mention you get a wonderfully peaceful walk through her woods. The greenhouses are gone, all but his private one, but all the hostas and Heucheras and Tiarellas are still there in the woods.

  • 21 years ago

    Back to the original question on this thread, Hosta people need to check Oakwood Nursery & Landscaping. It is located at 4581 West Andrew Johnson Hwy (US 11E if you're not from around here). It is on the west side of Morristown on the south side of the highway - easily spotted. The other day I purchased
    Sagae, Aristocrat, Carnival, Twilight, Pilgrim, and Paradigm there. I also saw June, On Stage, Winfield Blue, Sum & Substance, Bressingham Blue, Great Expectations, Francee and many others too numerous to mention. All reasonably priced. The Hostas are in a greenhouse all the way in the back.

  • 21 years ago

    Geez and here I thought the original question was, where are the best hosta sources in Tennessee. I don't see where we ventured away from that :o)

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Michaela,

    Just read your question about Sunshine Hollow in Riceville charging admission. Yes, there is a small charge if you are just visiting the gardens, taking the tour, etc. But for those who are purchasing plants, the fee is deducted from the total plant bill. A lot of groups go there to spend a delightful day, with no interest in buying plants. It's a great nursery, and if you are there to shop for plants, do not worry about being charged admission. They also have delicious lunches!

  • 21 years ago

    In Memphis, I'm partial to Dabney Nursery on Hacks Cross Rd. with over 90 varieties for sale, but there are several others in the area with quite a selection. The MidSouth Hosta Society compiled a "Hosta Finder" that lists the local source to find particular varieties, and I plan to upload it to the Society website soon. In the meantime, here's a good list of Hosta nurseries and growers. Some of them may be close to you.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta links

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus