Software
Houzz Logo Print
tnn1313

Spring, Bees and Damage

21 years ago

These large, fuzzy, yellow and black bees have returned to our home to nest I suppose. I really wouldn't mind the nesting if it didn't mean more holes in the wood above our garage. They guard the house in two's and dive bomb anyone walking to the front door. Does anyone know if this is the action of Carpenter Bees? And if so, any magic to getting rid of them. The exterminator said he knew of nothing.

I did the spray thing on Saturday and now feel a bit bad after having read they could be harmless bumble bees.

thanks...Sheri

Comments (8)

  • 21 years ago

    If you can get a close look at one, you should be able to tell whether they are bumble bees or carpenter bees. I think this site will answer all of your above questions including methods of repellance and control.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Carpenter Bees

  • 21 years ago

    These things make my gardening a living H*** every summer. I work alot on my back deck in my succulents and seeds and I can 't walk out there unless I am constantly dive-bombed by them. I don't care what they are, I want them off my back deck ! They've drilled holes up in the house right where the back door slides open. Oh and I stepped on one last year too, stung me right in the middle of my foot !

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    If they are boring in the wood they are carpenter bees, bumbles don't do that. I haven't actually been stung by a carpenter bee, but they sure do dive at you when you are anywhere near their nest. I don't know any way to get rid of them other than regular spraying. The columns holding our front porch up are made of redwood which we thought was supposed to resist insects. We painted the wood, but didn't get a strip painted underneath the gutter downspout & that is where they bored so maybe they won't bore thru painted wood.

  • 21 years ago

    I haven't gotten close enough to tell for sure, but I do believe we have Carpenter bees. Thanks for the link Brandon.

    Looks like damage to the wood is already in progress this year. Although it sounds like a plan, I'm dang sure not getting out there at night, up on a ladder and attempt to apply insecticide. I'm wondering if we could take the end board off the eve, and later, when it get's dark, slip a bug bomb inside and replace the board. Maybe we could at least prevent them from coming back next year.

    Cheryl, sorry (ouch!) but thanks for confirming that they do sting. On the back porch, away from their nests, a can of Raid helps to keep them at bay...sheri

  • 21 years ago

    They don't like paint, but it's often not practical to paint instead of stain. Using a pyrethrin insecticide in the granular form such as EctibanWP, (WP for wettable powder) is a very safe way to control them. The granules stay on the surface instead of soaking into the wood like a liquid does. This product is also good for flies, and even will kill a few spiders. The drawback is that it will wash off in the rain. This is easiest found at the local farm store.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks to all. No farm stores close so I'm off to HD for their suggestions....Sheri

  • 21 years ago

    a badminton raquet is an effective method of IPM (they do splatter so wear old clothes) ~Ryan

  • 21 years ago

    We are also doing battle with the buggers... they are huge. The male cannot sting but the female which you will rarelyy see has a vicious sting. Wasp spray in the hole will kill her.. and a bat( baseball type) will kill him. Make sure to then fill the holes with caulk or Great stuff. I find it effective to set a bounty for each dead male CB.,. my kids get 10 cents a kill. and they are making TONS of money this year given that our old deck it like candy to the bees.

    maddiemom

Sponsored