Software
Houzz Logo Print
smokymist

My cannas..oh Rebecca

21 years ago

You'd be proud !!! Well come to think of it so would Mel lol. I left half my cannas in the ground for the winter and brought half in. These aren't your common type cannas but the ones I ordered from Horns, remember ? Guess which ones made it ? You got it, the ones in the ground are all coming up !!!! Maybe I'll be adventurous and leave a ginger in the ground this coming winter :o)

Cheryl

Comments (9)

  • 21 years ago

    I didn't know anyone dug cannas in the fall. I guess I didn't know you were supposed to. I have never lost any of mine. In fact, they propgate like mad.

  • 21 years ago

    But we're not in the same zones Ladybug, I'm in zone 6, it gets colder here. I'm also not talking about your everyday cannas, these are
    # Australia
    # Cleopatra
    # Dawn Pink
    # Journeys End
    # Madame Butterfly
    # Maudie Malcolm
    # Miss Oklahoma
    # Pink Beauty
    # Rosemond Cole
    # Striped Species
    # Stuggart
    # Tropical Rose
    # Tropical Sunrise

    I also have the old fashioned kind that came with my house and come back year after year and spread like crazy. This was an "experiment" of sorts with more tropical varieties.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Gee, how many of those do you need to split? ;-)

  • 21 years ago

    Yay Cheryl! See, see, see!!!! I told ya so :).

    Jeff, I will be splitting some of mine for the swap.

  • 21 years ago

    I can see you practically jumping up and down lol . Jeff I'll have some too, we'll take care of ya.
    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Good thing I was right out there with the fact that I was ignorant. I only knew of a couple of varieties.

  • 21 years ago

    You're not ignorant at all !!! You just need some more cannas lol. When my get a bit bigger I'd be more than happy to get you addicted lol.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    I'm so glad to know that yours overwintered. I just planted a bunch from Horn & this is gonna be way to many to dig every fall. My yellow and red common canna & a couple of others have overwintered before but I was wondering about these too.
    Oops, forgot I'm not supposed to be on TN board-but I'm not too awful far from TN line :)

  • 21 years ago

    I dug my canna for YEARS before I discoverd they would come back if left in the ground. Ginger too, Cheryl! I have even had the kahili ginger return and was told it was about as tropical as you can get!
    I left most of my alocasia collection in the ground and am crossing my fingers that I will see a shoot soon.
    Cheryl, save some of those canna divisions for me!!! I am pretty sure I can find something to trade you!!
    Mel

Sponsored