Software
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

Clematis viginiensis

21 years ago

I would like to know yall's opinions of Clematis virginiana.

Do you think of it as a vine to be cultivated in your garden, or as an invasive weed?

If you were to plant it, what light and water conditions would you choose?

Have you ever seen it done like wisteria, as a tree? Do you think it would work this way?

-Regina

Comments (7)

  • 21 years ago

    I like the vine myself. Its a nice species version of the more widely grown hybrids. I have seen it grown around lamp posts and trellises locally. It seems like I have always seen it grown in at least light shade and doing well. It grows in light shade in its natural habitat as well I believe. Its never struck me as being invasive, but others may know better.

    Doug,
    I3

  • 21 years ago

    Could I have spelled the title of this post more incorrectly? Geez. At least I got it right in the body of the post.

    I should also mention that I believe this is a native species to Tennessee, hence my interest. It also smells great, and does several flushes of blooms throughout the summer. I first became curious about it when I discovered my sister in Maryland had purchased one on PURPOSE to grow on her side fence! I said "geez, that's a weed that grows in my backyard." She was rather put out...

  • 21 years ago

    I know this as "Sweet Autum Clematis", and it can be invasive and hard to get rid of if you decide you don't want it. It seeds itself because I find it coming up in other places (shade, sun it's not picky). But I do love the little blooms and the scent it has, but mine only blooms in Aug. But if you have a good location for it by itself and something for it to climb on it can be a great vine.

  • 21 years ago

    Would anyone be interested in this plant at the E TN Plant Swap? I have several cuttings I have potted up that I expect to grow quickly. If anyone would consent to having one, we could all practice creating "trees" out of vines. I think this would make a very pretty "tree", plus it would make it easier to control, as it seems to do to wisteria.

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    I would love to trade for some Regina.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Hey, never thought of trying to may a tree with it, we do westeria and trumpit vine, but their vines are a thicker, but might be an idea.

  • 21 years ago

    The biggest specimens I have dug from the back yard grew main vines that are over 1" thick and very woody. Would that tree, or would you have to braid them around a rod?

    -Regina

0
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio