My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
I will bring my usual cowboy baked beans, and the shoe-peg salad, + we will have ice from the bathhouse...and what ever else I decide on.
We are always short on meats and drinks, and always have an over abundance of desserts...there are several diabetics in the group so remember them.
Plan on a way to keep your food either cold or hot (there is no room in the fridge as it will be full of soft drinks and gatorade and bottled water...we can plug in a several slow cookers in on the porch...does anyone have a multi-plug strip they can bring?
The paper products and plastic sliverware and cups are already here so don't anyone worry about them.
As always I tell everyone, bring what you are comfortable with bringing...what is your specialty??? want to show off? The veggies and dips, fruit and other salads always go well...as do sandwiches of all kinds.
Have a question about the food? Don't hesitate...just ask.
I will bring a ham again, all sliced up and ready to eat. Either my sugar-free Orange crush desert, or something else without the sugar, and If I have the time my homemade chocolate silk pie, with a pecan shortbread crust. It simply melts in your mouth. Of course I can only have one bite of it, but oooh it's heavenly.
Anyone else want to chime in with what you are bringing?
If not, well here's what's on the menu so far: Chef Jeff's naner puddin' (Yeeaah...right.) Rhonda's smoked ribs KFC plus homemade slaw and deviled eggs (maybe) Jan's cowboy baked beans, and the shoe-peg salad Veggielover's ham (Ironic?) and sugar free deserts What else???? (Lots I'm sure!)
By the way, Norm, Cathy may fight you for some of the bones. I gurantee she isn't shy about asking for bones for our dogs.
Since we are traveling a distance and camping the night before, I think we are going to bring a couple of bags of chips and a dessert that will travel well.
I'm bringing frosted brownies and bottled water. My friend is bringing a couple of salads I think. I also have a couple of multi plug strips I can bring.
I'm bringing (or planning on bringing anyway - subject to change of course) General Tsao Chicken - Jan, there's a place where I could plug-in a heating thingie to keep this more than just warm? If so, that'd be great, if not, then it will be warm or cold ... I usually add in steamed Brocolli and "baby" Corn (on the cob) with the chicken in the sauce and I can do up some rice to go with it... Leaning also towards a "cool" dish like tuna or chicken salad stuffed manicotti - something no-bake, ya know?
Since looking at the list here I may hit my mom up and ask her if she's up to making something like turkey enchiladas or a shrimp/cheddar (kinda spicy) casserole, and if I have time I can whip up some Confetti Baked Beans.
If desirable, I thought about making up some "Sweet Tea" using Stevia instead of sugar or sugar-alternatives that are icky... And figured some "regular" (cane sugar) Sweet Tea.... (Luzianne of course! LOL My MIL would kill me if she knew I made iced tea with any other tea!)
The kids suggested sandwiches - so if there seems to be some lacking in the "main dish" or "meats" area, we can do up a variety of sandwiches too.
Tell ya what... looks like I will do some grocery shopping tomorrow anyway and then I'll get back to this thread say no later than Friday and give a concise list of what I am bringing.
Jan - think I will email you privately about the electricity/heating food limitations. Also, we MIGHT have a "power strip" not in use around here, will find out from hubby.
There is a place on the porch of the bathhouse for 2 power strips and we can plug in things there...my baked beans will be plugged in and anyone else can use it if you wish.
First time Ive actually sat down and read this string. Joe, is your reference to the four fried chickens and a loaf of bread from the movie the Blues Brothers? That is one of my all time favorites.
Actually, I think Jake wanted four fried chickens and a Coke. His brother Elwood wanted dry white toast at the diner.
Doug: I think it is in a round about way. I heard the way I said it long ago. Before the Blue Brothers. (Which IS a great movie.) Not sure where it comes from.
I wondered if anyone was going to bring an Earthquake cake this year. I made one last year and it was devoured!
I am going to bring some serving utensils, and Since I am only 17 miles away, I will check this board right before I leave in the morning, So Jan if there is anything you can think of that you need last minute, Just let me know, and I will do my best to get it for you.
Since I am always late, I have promised myself that I am going to be early this year.....
If anyone brings serving utensils...and I'm glad you are Veggielover...make sure you uput your initials on the back of t hem with a magic marker...it will eventually wash off.
For some reaseon...the earthquake cake has sort of become the official dessert for our swaps...they always disappear!
My ham is in the crock pot cooking right now. I went to the grocery store earlier, and ended up picking up stuff for a vegetable tray and dip, and the ingredients for tuna salad. So now all I have to do is put that together and finish making my dessert. It sounds so simple, I just need to find some more energy somewhere.
Surprise! I won't be bringing any 'naner pudding. All Kroger had was about 2 tons of green, and I mean REALLY GREEN, bananas. Oh well, off to Plan B.......
ok, so I didn't get on until after midnight Friday night/now Saturday morning. I suck, sue me. Seriously though, it wasn't long after my last post that hubby got a call - and he's leaving town for some work today (Saturday) :/ I'm still coming to the swap, but having to switch gears to get things ready for his departure put me "off" of what I did have planned so....
Jan, sorry, no power strips here "free" (meaning, I can't unplug the deep freezer, for instance, in order to borrow the strip it is on for the day).
I'm making up some tea - but I'll just bring the Stevia with for whoever to add to their own poured cup/glass of unsweetened tea (because I don't have the time or energy at this hour to tear open that many packets for a gallon of tea), but can handle sweeting with cane sugar since that doesn't mean tearing open a bunch of little packets.
"tuna salad" stuffed manicotti - check turkey/ranch/lettuce/amer.ch wraps - check ham/mustard/lettuce/amer. ch wraps - check Quasi-Jamaican x Italian grilled chicken whole wheat angel hair salad - check no-meat whole wheat rotini with veggies salad - check Gen. Tsao chicken w/ rice - will be the last thing made before hitting the road to transport hot/warm and keep in thingie to stay warm plugged into thingie in 'van - so I'll check that one off mentally now since I doubt I could forget it...
Someone posted about serving utensils - I knew I forgot something. :/ The wraps and stuffed manicotti can probably pass as finger foods, but the other three things will need some help getting onto plates...
Directions printed out, still haven't gotten Brug cuttings or even seeds put into packets... The Brug cuttings I can get on the way out the door - the seeds? I don't even know where to begin! At this late hour I'm beginning to think in terms of putting my different seed tins into one box with empty packets, a print out of my seed list, some scissors, paper, a pen, and then "packeting" once there? I don't have a clue what would be of most interest so I don't know what to focus on with the seeds... the box idea is starting to sound really good right about now...
Anyhoo, with hubby's departure scheduled for today too - I may be leaving out of here later than I originally thought since we will be leaving before him and trying to make sure he doesn't forget anything....
See you all in... well, a few hours now I guess...
ladybug37091
tngreenthumb
Related Professionals
Dalton Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Raleigh Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Leominster Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Jamestown Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Monroe Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Savannah Landscape Contractors · Wichita Landscape Contractors · Chattanooga Landscape Contractors · Killeen Landscape Contractors · Niles Landscape Contractors · Mission Viejo Landscape Contractors · Yuba City Landscape Contractors · Cumberland Home Additions · Sault Ste. Marie Home Additions · Carson City Home AdditionsJan_Hobbs
veggielover
bigorangevolOriginal Author
maternut
maternut
bigorangevolOriginal Author
tngreenthumb
Jan_Hobbs
cannahavana
lovehydrangeas
hermitonthehill
Jan_Hobbs
ladybug37091
intimidator_3
bigorangevolOriginal Author
sweetposey
Jan_Hobbs
tngreenthumb
veggielover
Jan_Hobbs
mari5us
veggielover
bigorangevolOriginal Author
hermitonthehill
bigorangevolOriginal Author