Software
Houzz Logo Print
raney10

First Hummer on Cagle Mtn. today

21 years ago

The Ruby Throat Hummingbirds are back to our area of TN and saw the first one today.

Of course they take longer to visit the mountains just as the dogwoods and redbud trees

take about two weeks longer to bloom here than in the valley.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know they are here and certainly are a welcome sight.

Raney

Comments (10)

  • 21 years ago

    A neighbor has reported one here northeast of Knoxville, as well.
    (At first read, I thought that you might be reporting that your area was getting yuppified with a neighbor buying a Hummer, with a Minnie Pearl type pricetag hanging from the back window. Our area was examined by a Hummer, but it found a home elsewhere, thank heavens as our roads aren't wide enough for a Hummer and an anything else.)

  • 21 years ago

    The hummers return to our area, just west of Nashville, between April 1st and 15th. Last year we had five that frequented the feeder on the deck. So far, two have returned. If you stay on the deck five minutes, you'll see a hummer. I love the way we can see them most anytime. So do our guests. We enjoyed them so much last year.
    Life is good.

  • 21 years ago

    Has anyone seen hummers in the Memphis area? Just wondering when they come, this year I wanted to put up a feeder.. I always have a few(hummers) but seems like I don't see them til July, but I could be way off on that.. I really don't know when they come! thanks!

  • 21 years ago

    I know Mom had her first in Nashville last week some time. Dunno about Memphis!

  • 21 years ago

    Well, I haven't seen any here yet in Knoxville, but someone sure is drinking the sugar water!

    jennbenn, here is the hummingbird migration map. Look like they were first spotted in your area about 2 weeks ago. This time of year they sort of come and go as they migrate north. Then they settle down for the summer.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Our first two arrived today. The Ruby Throat perched on the clothes line next to the place where we put one of the feeders. He kept looking at us as we ate breakfast. This was too much for my DH. He put down his fork...mid-meal, and went to the stove to prepare the syrup. They're late. So are we.

  • 21 years ago

    My neighbor said she saw one in our North Knoxville neighborhood yesterday. She came over to borrow my bird book because the bird had a totally black head. Anyone ever heard of that?

  • 21 years ago

    The only good thing to come with tax time every year.

  • 21 years ago

    Got my feeder up today! Hoping for a sighting very soon!

  • 21 years ago

    They were a day late at our place this year showed up on
    the 16th.
    Norm

0
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner