Software
Houzz Logo Print
amazondoc

Hedychium in TN?

21 years ago

Heyall --

A very kind trader snuck in a piece of Hedychium x 'Luna Moth' into a trade box for me. I'm very happy to have it, since I'm a sucker for fragrance -- but I'm pretty clueless with gingers, and I've never kept a Hedychium at all.

Now, I know the basics from looking stuff up on the web. But does anyone here have personal experience with Hedychiums in TN? Has anyone here kept em outside over winter? Any input would be appreciated!

Comments (6)

  • 21 years ago

    Yep! The Hedychium family are one of the most cold hardy for our zone. I have a couple of varieties that come back here just fine. Raised bed as always and a few inches a mulch and your set! Full to part sun. That particular one, Luna Moth, is a new one for me this year just planted earlier this spring.

    Here is one of ours from last year. Eastern exposure in front of the house.

    Hedychium gardnerianum 'Compactum'
    {{gwi:1284488}}

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 21 years ago

    I've had good results with Luna Moth in Jackson. Make sure you have good drainage for wet winters. I have 2 types of ginger which come back reliably for me.

  • 21 years ago

    Ooooooooh Rebecca that's seriously cool! Bring some to the Fall Swap.

  • 21 years ago

    If you like the tropical look and fragrance, they are easy to get hooked on. I planted my first hedy about 4 years ago and I've been adding ever since. I think I am up to about 10 kinds. I just added Luna moth last fall so I haven't seen it bloom yet. I try to keep backups inside over the winter, but I haven't lost one yet.

    I remember checking someones g.w. swap list in Knox. a year or two ago and was surprised to find 15 or 20 so I doubt I am the only one who grows lots of them in zone 6.

    They generally will not bloom the first year if planted after early spring. I plant mine deep(>6" deep) in the hopes they won't be killed by an unusually cold winter, but the new growth goes right to the top of the ground and doesn't seem to be damaged.

    Each year some get taller and from the looks of the diameter of the stalks they are going to be 6 feet plus this year.

    I disagree with the commonly given conditions such as the caution against too much water. In my experience they do extremly well with just less than full sun and plenty of water. I have seen them sold at an Oriental nursery as a water plant submerged in water and clay like lotus. A friend of mine set one in water with some bog plants to get it out of her way and forgot about it. Not only did it survive, but it seems to have thrived. That might not be a wise choice for winter, but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt it.

    In Hawaii and various tropical sites they are considered an invasive nuisance plant, but for me they have spread very manageably.

    Another downside, is that many bloom just weeks ahead of frost------but that tropical fragrance and look in the fall with little else blooming is just wonderful. Over time I have found they continue to bloom a little earlier each year.

    Some of the taller varieties will bend and lean, so I plant them in the back of beds so they will lean over to the edge of the bed.

    If you were given a hedychium, consider yourself very fortunate.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks guys!

    I definitely do NOT have good winter drainage. I may keep this guy in a pot, so I can at least move him to my sheltered/drier winter area when needed. I appreciate all the input!

0
Sponsored