Software
Houzz Logo Print
simmonsbearhugs

Storing Bulbs

21 years ago

Help....Mother & I found a lot of different bulbs on sale at Walmart yesterday. They were 50 cents a bag. I really don't expect them all to live. Could someone tell me the best way to store them until it's time to plant in Jan. or Feb? I got:

Lily of the Valley

Cannas

Clematis

Holly Hocks

Caladiums

Gladiolus

Freesias

I am starting a new flower bed at my new place. The grown is clay and I've got to amend the soil. Any hints on that?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Billie

Byhalia, MS.

Comments (10)

  • 21 years ago

    I don't see why you can't just plant them now....they will get in a good 3 mo. worth of growth, and then be already established for next year.

    I didn't know hollyhocks were a bulb...I start mine from seed, and they are pernnials.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Jan,
    Thanks for your reply. I got 2 holly houks. It has Alcea Holly Hock Rosea Blue/Purle on the package. They look like they will be a dark purple.
    Thanks again for your answer and keep your fingers crossed.
    Billie
    Byhalia, MS

  • 21 years ago

    Unfortunately, most of these are likely to be dead by now. But if you want to try them, plant them NOW. Personally, I would soak the canna, clematis, hollyhocks, and caladiums in water for at least several hours before planting.

    If you've got serious clay, consider raised beds. Good luck!

    Lily of the Valley
    Cannas
    Clematis
    Holly Hocks
    Caladiums
    Gladiolus
    Freesias
    I am starting a new flower bed at my new place. The grown is clay and I've got to amend the soil. Any hints on that?
    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Billie
    Byhalia, MS.

  • 21 years ago

    Billie,

    There is really good information on Gardenweb regarding doing "lasagna beds". Do a search on "lasagna" for the whole Gardenweb site. I started one in February and it's ready to plant in now! The only difficulty with doing a lasagna bed at this time of year would be getting your hands on enough organic material... For the moment, I'd recommend just digging a wide hole for each bulb and amending the clay that's in the hole with a mixture of mulched leaves, peat, a little ash, aged manure, compost, and coffee grounds. If you have your clay tested you may find it might need a little lime. Bulbs also like bone meal so you might put that in, too. Make the hole several times bigger than the bulb, scoop the amended soil back into the hole, then dig the hole for the bulb. Make sure to place the bulb at the correct depth for the species, and be sure to pick a location that drains well - the easiest way to see how it drains is to dig the hole (don't amend yet!) and fill with water. See if it drains or if it does not. If it does not, you may have to dig the whole bed and amend the whole thing or your bulbs will just rot in the ground...

  • 21 years ago

    Gosh!!! Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. I didn't realize it would be so much trouble. LOL
    I had thought that I might plant the Clematis & Holly Hocks in a pot on the back porch until it came up. Then transplant them to the flower bed. Would that work? I guess the Clematis that I already have were grown in a green house. I bought them in pots and their doing real good now.
    Thanks for all your help. Guess I better get busy working on the ground.
    Thanks again,
    Billie
    Byhalia, MS

  • 21 years ago

    Yes, you can plant the clems and hollyhocks in pots first. You can also do that for the cannas and caladiums. But I'd still soak em -- they are bound to be very dehydrated by now, if they're still alive at all.

    When you plant the clems, be sure to plant them very deep. If they've got stems, even planting the base of the stems three or four inches deep is a good thing.

    Good luck!

  • 21 years ago

    I got 10 clematis at this time last year. They were pretty puney looking and I really didn't think they'd do well. I potted them up and let them stay outside, brought them into the garage for the winter and they all survived. Then I had to find what the heck I was going to do with all of them!
    Bev

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks for all your help. I planted the Cannas, Caladiums & Holly Hocks other day. Going to give it a try with the Clematis in a pot first. I already have 2 growing real good on the fense. I have so many Gladiolus that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I think the raised beds are a good way to plant.

  • 21 years ago

    Bev where have you been?

  • 21 years ago

    If these didn't have sprouts already starting in the bags, then they're probably dead. The clematis for sure should have sent out a spindly light challenged thin vine if it's still alive. Same with the hollyhocks and cannas. If you didn't see green anywhere on them from them sprouting in the bags, they're probably dead. Same with the caladium, but if they do have some growth, plant them in pots around a shady spot, because they're not hardy and won't winter over and will need to be dug and stored. The gladiolas might not bloom this year, but if you get them in the ground long enough to get some green growth on them htis year, they should bloom next year. The freesias hate our heat and humidity and the voles love to eat them. Not a really good choice for here, but if the price was right, worth a chance. They might bloom this fall.

    Bagged plants aren't a good bet for a gardening newbie. They're hard even for experienced gardeners. So, don't be upset if most kick the bucket on you. DO be upset if they're dead to begin with. Get your money back from WallyWOrld for sure if that's the case.

Sponsored