My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
By the way thanks for the glad info, esp Marty I think thrips may be my problem. Now for another plant question. Iris foilage, can I shorten the foilage now with no harm to next years bloom?? I read that in the fall you cut the foilage all the way to the ground and some in the "Old Days" used to burn the area as a way of eliminating the pest. thanks to all who post answers
My mom cuts her Iris foliage back now, in fact I was there yesterday while she was doing it. I cut mine back to, it's on my list of "to do" for the week .
It never occurred to me to cut the foilage on my Irises so I went over to the Iris forum and this is what I found:
"You can cut the stalks if you find them objectionable, but don't cut the leaves unless they are dead, diseased, or dying. Healthy, green leaves will continue to feed the plant for next year's blooms."
I cut mine back every year because I have summer perennials that grow up and around them. I have yet to see a decrease in blooms in 7 years. I have, however, found that cutting the leaves back causes them to multiply, i.e. lots of little plantlets.
I never cut mine back, just clean up the dead/dying older leaves. They're green and growing for a reason -- to store energy and form buds for next year. When they go dormant here in late July/August then you could trim them back if you must.
I always trim my back and I find it does increase their blooms. Maybe this is just a flower where there is no wrong or right way, that's good to know :o)
I don't cut mine back either. If I did, we'd have a naked bed. I just got some varigared iris to put in with the regular ones. I LOVE the look of the foliage!
SmokyMist
Powellgardener
Related Professionals
Birmingham Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Louisville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Hagerstown Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Boston Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Lewiston Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Sioux Falls Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Spanish Fork Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Macon Landscape Contractors · Longview Landscape Contractors · Medford Landscape Contractors · Olympia Landscape Contractors · Rocky Mount Home Additions · Lawrenceburg Home Additions · Gary Home Additions · Kirksville Home Additionsleighmac
thurston
SmokyMist
Gardener972