Software
Houzz Logo Print
sweetposey

Trying to get a new swap started

20 years ago

My name is Tina. I am a shiny newcomer to this forum. I attended the plant swap in Hohenwald after having read about it in the Tennessean. I was amazed at the crowd myself, since I really had no idea what to expect. My mother, who is handicapped, also wanted to go. We didn't get to stay very long as she gets tired very quickly. But we met some very nice people and enjoyed the fellowship. I live near White House and one of my coworkers and I were talking about trying to get a swap going in this area. I'm sure there are many people who would attend a local event who can't or won't drive to all the way to Hohenwald. We had proposed either the White House city park or the J. Travis park in Springfield. We would be glad to have everyone interested attend, whether you're local or not. Please respond with any ideas, advice, etc. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

  • 20 years ago

    Tina feel free to email me with any questions.

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you so much! I have read a lot of the posts on
    this forum. We had initially thought we might try to
    advertise, but that seems to be a questionable idea.
    Peggy (my coworker) and I are spreading word of mouth
    to people we already know who are interested in
    gardening. The only public information we have posted
    has been on this forum. Do you have any other
    recommendations? We obviously don't want to recreate
    a lot of the problems I read that were experienced
    during the recent swap. I had mentioned to her about
    the possibility of pre-registering participants. Do
    you think that will be necessary or beneficial for our
    first outing? We know we obviously need a place, and
    to try to find the best method of reaching people who
    are seriously interested in gardening. I thought that
    maybe a small notice in a local paper would be ok. I
    work part time at WHIN radio in Gallatin, and we could
    run public service announcements free on the station.
    We will need a few office supplies, (name tags, pen,
    paper, etc.). Other than these things, unfortunately,
    I really haven't a clue. Thank you so much for
    letting me pick your brain. LOL. I don't wanna take
    up too much of your time, but your input is greatly
    appreciated. Please advise whatever you feel is
    appropriate. I'm sure there are quite a few things we
    haven't even taken into consideration. We may not be
    able to get sufficiently organized for our first swap
    till the fall, but I'd like to get started asap.

    Thanks again!

    Tina

  • 20 years ago

    I got some great advice in an email from big_orange_vol. I've talked to the other people that we have involved at my workplace and we've decided that we'd like to start small. We're aiming for a swap in the fall. We are going to have a swap only at first and omit the guest speaker and potluck for now. If anybody would like to participate, please email me at swtposey@yahoo.com or use my work email, Tina_L_Perdue@irco.com. We will post more follow ups as we have information to share. Thanks!