Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug1_gw

Is it dry as a bone where you are?

20 years ago

Who all is dry as a bone? It is so dry here I have not had to mow the lawn since sometime in May. We haven't had any rain in more than 20 days. I had some potted plants that I put in the ground over the last two mornings because I just don't want to have to keep watering potted plants. I am not having to water plants in the ground as often. I know they got some rain about 20 minutes north of us yesterday, but we just can't seem to get any over us.

Comments (25)

  • 20 years ago

    Yards in the Knoxville area are brown. Only some yards have patches of a little green. I have seen some yards that look so dead I don't think they will come back without being reseeded.

    I sure hope it rains soon because it isn't going to be long until a lot of trees start really suffering. Often when a tree is suffering from lack of water, it doesn't show up until it's too late. I hope that isn't the case with a lot of my stuff around here.

  • 20 years ago

    We are getting on and off rain here. As a matter of fact the weather guesser just said we are in store for storms again tomorrow. Our grass is growing to fast for me.

  • 20 years ago

    We got a couple of tenths tonight in Franklin. Gee, that doesn't even get through the mulch. We could use a slow soaking rain all day and all night. Maybe tomorrow.

  • 20 years ago

    Atokadawn, what part of TN are you in? I am so jealous!

    I noticed today that some of the leaves on the sycamores were yellow. Those are some pretty tough trees it seems to me. Others, like some maples, were looking pretty limp in our 98* weather this afternoon. Couldn't believe it was still 90* at 8:00, but it was. I was going to go out and bushhog the pasture, but too hot for my taste so I came back in with my clothes clinging to me. Ugh. I hate that.

  • 20 years ago

    I've got the WVLT desktop weather that gives me the current temp and it's showing 95 degrees at 1:30 a.m. Yikes! That's South Georgia, not Knoxville! I thought it couldn't be right so I checked my outside thermometer. Unfortunately, the 95 degrees is correct.
    My birdbaths are getting a lot of action. I've had chipmunks and squirrels coming down for drinks which I hadn't seen before. Seeings lots of birds, too. My clay saucers seem to be the most popular. They return the favor by eating up all the bugs and snails.

  • 20 years ago

    I am outside of Memphis. We catch all the Ark,Miss storms. The last one came up from Texas tho. It is 70* out there right now at 2:36 a.m.. It got up to 94 with a heat index of 103 today.

  • 20 years ago

    Bone? Yeah, close to it.

    I planted two chaste trees last night and it nearly killed me. The ground has a fair amount of clay and I had to use the chisel end of my tamping bar to bust out a good sized hole.

    Looks like rain now though...

  • 20 years ago

    LOL Good ole Memphis humidity...how well I remember...of course, we have it here in Mid-TN also...just southeast of Nashville here...rain almost every day for a while there...and now nothing...:(

    PJ

  • 20 years ago

    Here of the Buffalo River, other than the 1 1/2" we got last Sunday...we haven't had any rain in weeks. But weather.com is giving us a 60% chance of afternoon showers...hope it comes and goes...we have a lot of campers and canoers scheduled for tonight and tomorrow.

    Jan

  • 20 years ago

    We've been brown and crunchy here on the eastern highland rim up by the KY border. We got an inch of rain last night though along with thunder and lightning, the likes of which I've never seen before. More expected tonight.

  • 20 years ago

    knoxville is all dry. good for me when i want to ride my motorcycle to work, but bad for the lawn/gardens.

  • 20 years ago

    It stormed good again last night.It was still wet this afternoon out there.

  • 20 years ago

    Finally got some rain, at least in West Knoxville. Wonderful, wonderful rain!

  • 20 years ago

    We finally got some rain this afternoon, and it feels so much better out there for the moment. Not sure how much we got. Seemed to me to be a really good time to take a nap. I noticed though that parts of the pavement are already dry so it must not have been much, and far from as much as we need.

    It has been so dry that in the mornings there hasn't even been much dew on the ground. It has been eons since I have seen it that dry.

    Greenthumb, I had the same experience putting some potted plants in the ground. My solution was the same as yours. I found some huge old rocks in the process so I went ahead and dug them out of the ground too. Might just as well since I had already done that much work. It sure was good of my dad to introduce me to the good old tamping bar. I've used it for lots of different things.

  • 20 years ago

    I finally got a rain yesterday (Friday), it has been so dry down here we could use a couple of days of a slow steady rain.

  • 20 years ago

    It has been aweful here east of Knoxville...I was getting worried that my well would go dry with me watering the flower beds every day....plus having horse's to water.
    Weird though as my yard continued to grow....LOL

    We finally got some rain that started Sunday night and continued into Monday for most of the day...:))

  • 20 years ago

    Had I answered June 22, bone dry would have been the description. June 23-June 26, we got 4 inchs. I have weeds five feet tall that I thought only grew to two feet tall in their better years.
    But the fruit trees are happy.

  • 20 years ago

    I hear it's been hot and dry of late again. I'm very interested to come back in August after two years away and see what has happened to the garden without any additional water. It will be a good trial/lesson in what is truly suited for mid TN. Last summer I was home for a couple of weeks and everything was ok, even on the dry ridge where the garden is situated. Plants are amazing.

  • 20 years ago

    It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring....

    It's finally raining!!!!

  • 20 years ago

    I am north of Chattanooga and we had not seen a drop til about dark last night (Friday night). It blew so hard I thought the big hardwood trees were going to fall over or break off and it poured down hard. Luckily it also rained slow and steady all night. Now if the temperatures can stay a bit lower. By the way, it was over 100 here, according to my thermometer, 2 days this week. I had to ask myself as I worked in my gardens.... do SANE people actually garden in this weather??? ;-)

  • 20 years ago

    "do SANE people actually garden in this weather??? ;-)"

    If by "garden" you mean walking around looking at things with something cool to drink, I suppose I garden in that kind of weather. But then my sanity is always in question anyway. :-)

  • 20 years ago

    Here, around Cosby, it's been pretty dry, but the grass mowing still goes on. We've had some evening showers, enough to keep the road dust down, but not good soaking rain.
    The Backberries are drying up faster than I can pick them !!!

  • 20 years ago

    Rain in in our forcast today (middle Tn). Coming in from the west...at least that's what the radar images show. I'm not holding my breath, but it seems to be the best chance we've had in several weeks. I won't water this morning even tho everything is really drooping! Hope everyone who needs rain, will get a good soaking out of this system!

  • 20 years ago

    Garden Grace, I keep watching the radar and see everyone north of Chatt getting rain and people south of Chatt getting rain, but it seems to miss us more often than it is hitting us. I am only doing necessary watering. I am watering the veges, four flower beds (not very big ones either), and the horses. I had a feeling that it was going to be a hot, dry summer so I didn't do any containers this year. While I miss the extra color, I don't miss the extra work they would have entailed.

  • 20 years ago

    RAIN...finally about 2" here on the Buffalo River..what a blessing...even though all our canoes cancelled.

Sponsored