Software
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Plant Swap Ethics

20 years ago

Ryan's debates got me to thinking about other topics for discussion. One I have been wondering about is how to keep plant swaps fun, exciting, and uncomplicated but at the same time prevent or decrease theft (Believe it or not, it happens every time), greediness (I've actually had people go to extremes), and other unfair or unethical practices.

I wonder if the solutions are worth the problems the solutions might cause. How can some of these things be diminished while keeping things simple and spontaneous?

I was going to ask whether you would sneak a plant at a plantswap or try to trade 1 common plant for 8 or 10 good ones, but I don't think anyone would admit to doing that or wanting to do that.

Comments (4)

  • 20 years ago

    Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT advertise it in the Ms. Cheap column...

    The fun goes right out of it when you have over 400 people in attendance.

  • 20 years ago

    The only thing I can think of is that if people have told you that they are swapping something with you, that they should make a point of finding you or should hold it for you until they are sure you are not there. There were several things that I was supposed to get, that weren't there when I got to the table. I was disappointed but I ended up with plenty of other nice things. :-)

  • 20 years ago

    Did anyone else run into that problem? At the last Knoxville swap, I kept the already-spoken-for stuff seperate and checked it off my list as people picked up what they had asked for. One person came pretty late. I had figured they weren't going to make it and gave away one of the things I was going to give them, but when they did show up I gave them something else instead, and I think they were satisfied with the replacement just as much.

    Did anyone encounter people who seemed like they wanted something but were afraid to ask for it or take it without a trade? I always hope to leave with far less than I bring, but I saw people that were shocked that I was willing to give things up so easy. Unfortunately, I also experienced the opposite. Did anyone have someone that was much more interested in what they were getting than in what they could trade or give to others? I wasn't sure of how to handle that either.

  • 20 years ago

    It's a tricky balancing act. It's easy to feel guilty about turning somebody down -- and it's easy for people to get confused about what they can or can not justifiably ask for, especially newbies.

    Here's my current thoughts:

    1. be clear about whether you are giving away plants or looking for trades. As many of you already know, I use two tables -- one for free plants, and one for trade plants.

    2. always approach people as though they are trading plants, not giving them away. It's always proper to say something like " you know, I'd really love to have that plant. Do I have anything that would interest you for a trade?" That way you are giving the other person all the options. They can pick one of your plants, or give you the plant, or turn you down.

    3. If somebody turns you down, don't feel bad -- and DON'T try to pressure them. It's their plant, and their choice!

    4. If you have a valuable plant, don't feel bad about turning other people down!

    5. please please please, HONOR your prior trade arrangements. Don't tell people that you are going to bring something and then fail to bring it at the last second. Sometimes plants die, which is perfectly understandable -- but TELL people what has happened BEFORE the swap. If you're not sure you'll be able to bring something, make that clear BEFORE the swap.

    My two cents!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting