Software
Houzz Logo Print
mlwgardener

How is everyone?

21 years ago

We are all safe and have no known damage this morning other than the million or so twigs and leaves blown everywhere. I'm so very thankful to our faithful Lord for allowing this storm to deminish in size before it hit land. He alone knows just how bad it could have been. I pray that the people in New Orleans have had a reminder of how powerful his love is.

May each of you have a day blessed with his loving Grace, Mona

Comments (9)

  • 21 years ago

    We got about 5" of rain, and a little wind. Jim said there are a lot of branches down in the campground, but so far the river hasn't flooded...that will come later today...if at all. We were prepared and had taken everything out of the bathhouse...better to have it out, then have to go in and clean it all up.

    Like Mona, I thank the Lord for His mercy.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Up here in South Knoxville we were missed by the storm completely except for a few gusts which caused power outages. About 10,000 homes with no power at the moment. Interestingly, we received no real rain, only sprinkles. We have all been glued to the TV out of concern for everyone south of us.

    My company has several sites south of here - McCalla, AL, Atlanta, GA, Newnan, GA, W. Memphis, AR... all were inundated. We provide heat and air services to truckers, and we're hearing stories of how devastating this is going to be to the trucking industry. I-10 is a major East-West truck route... and it's gone in places. Mobile and New Orleans are important ports, and many loads were lost to the storm. Between these and the skyrocketing of gas prices, we should all expect the cost of living to rise as a result. Everything is going to cost more.

  • 21 years ago

    We're fine. Better now that we know that Mona and David are ok.

  • 21 years ago

    Had the power out for a couple of hours in West Knoxville. Lots of branches and leaves blown around. Sparrow was out griping that the bird bath was leaf-covered. I cleaned it out for him. One of my better customers!
    Photos I've been seeing of the devastation are hard to believe and it's going to get worse. Certainly praying for them.
    Does anyone know of a relief effort that's taking clothes and household stuff down? I've got a bunch of appropriate stuff I'd be happy to donate.

  • 21 years ago

    The Red Cross has said that cash donations are preferred, rather than "in kind" (food/clothing/etc.).

    I have internet friends in New Orleans and Mississippi that were in the direct path of the storm. I know at least one of them evacuated, and at least one was planning to ride out the storm with her dogs in her high rise office. I'm thinking of them tonight!

  • 21 years ago

    I'm so relieved to hear that Mona and our other southern friends are OK.

    My in-laws in Mobile were blessed to find their home unharmed when they returned on Monday. 100 yr old trees were down in the front and back yard and on MIL's car, a few shingles were off the roof, but no serious damage was done to the house. Power lines were hard hit in their neighborhood and will take a week or two to repair, so we haven't been able to talk to them since their cell phone batteries ran down on Monday. We've been keeping abreast of the local situation through other's posts on the Mobile forum of al.com. Our main concern is the aggravation of FIL's severe emphysema by lack of air conditioning. I wish he had some oxygen, but he has refused that treatment thus far - a pride thing.

    In addition to the utter devastation and flooding of areas close to the bay, there were many homes and power lines downed further inland by the hurricane and tornado damage to the ancient trees, which are top heavy and full of dead wood due to the Mobile historical society's limitations on normal trimming practices. Though the Mobile folks feel blessed to have gotten off light compared to MS and LA, the shortages of water, food, gas and power are starting to shorten tempers.

    Things are getting worse by the minute in LA and MS. Babies are dying from dehydration and the sick and elderly are just giving up hope of being rescued. I just heard on the news that desperate people have been firing guns and trying to hijack rescue helicopters. Its horrific.

  • 21 years ago

    We lived in New Orleans for fourteen years and know well every location in the news media.
    One friend has already come up (Arrived late last night running on adrenalin and coffee) and we are worried about another who doesn't want to leave the Victorian he's spent thirty years of his life restoring.
    This hurts real bad for all our friends who lived there last week.

  • 21 years ago

    Mona, it's good to know that you are ok. Up in Nashville, we got some rain from the storm, but mostly just got a ton of hurricane victims.

    I was particularly glad for the rain, even though it came with the hurricane, because of the horrible rainless summer we had been having.

    Looking forward to seeing everyone at the fall swap.

    Regards,
    Emily and Clark Spoden

  • 21 years ago

    We made it through all right in northwest Mississippi -- our only damage was that our flag was pulled out of the wall on the front of the house and the figurine in the front lawn was overturned.

    I think it is wonderful how many across the country and the world have been helping those in need. I am so sorry that the response wasn't sooner and still can't figure that out.

    I've been very busy at work and traveling to our daughter's wedding and to check on his Mom in Chicago that I haven't even been able to get online. It is nice to hear from the ones who are all okay.

    Katie (formerly DirtDiggingLady)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting