Software
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol

Gardenia or Jasmine?

21 years ago

Guys I got an email from a Dr. Wen Qu who works at UT in Memphis and he's having a hard time locating some Gardenia or Jasmine. Any thoughts on the matter as to where he could get some. I'm sure that West TN bretheren have the scoop?

Is anyone bringing any to the Swap?

Jeff

Comments (15)

  • 21 years ago

    Heck, Lowes in Knoxville had two or three types of gardenia just a coupla weeks ago, and they almost always have Confederate jasmine. Surely he can find some.

    I do plan on bringing a coupla rooted cuttings of Sambac jasmine, and I have a large Confederate jasmine that I could make cuttings of. Is he coming to the swap? Do you know exactly what he's looking for?

  • 21 years ago

    I have this jasmine (don't know which kind) that blooms at night and has a smell like candy from 100 yards away.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Rebecca, that's the appropriately named Night Blooming Jasmine, Cestrum nocturnum. I love those plants.

    Jeff, it's odd that the doctor didn't specify which kind of jasmine. There are many species and cultivars, including some hardy types. Did he give a botanical name?

    Marty

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks, Marty! I figured that what it was.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    He's a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the College of Pharmacy, not a botanist. I reckon he isn't quite sure what varieties he wants. I just thought that someone in Mempho could give him a hand.

  • 21 years ago

    I'll have a few Gardenias at the swap. I believe the cuttings were from "August Beauty". These are little guys, but they will get pretty tall - 5 to 6 feet (maybe even taller).

  • 21 years ago

    Jeff, I found Dr. Qu's phone number and e-mail address on the utmem.edu website. I'll contact him today and try to help.

    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    Jeff,

    I don't know where he is looking, because I have seen both jasmine and gardenias at Home Depot & Lowe's in the area this week. There was a really pretty jasmine at a local place in Olive Branch (near Memphis), but it has to be brought in during the winter -- I forgot the name, but was told it has lavender colored blooms.

    Katie

  • 21 years ago

    As usual you guys are the bomb!

  • 21 years ago

    Well, I sent Dr. Qu an e-mail and haven't heard back from him. When/if I do, I'll know more about what he wants. I kinda had the idea that he may be doing research on medicinal or some other chemical property of Gardenia or Jasmine since he gave the information about being a PostDoc in UT's Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. When I was in grad school one of my fellow graduate student buddies was specializing in Phytochemistry and looking at antiviral properties of Pokeweed of all things. She was using tissue culture (growing plant cells in petri dishes etc. on artificial nutrient medium). If that's what Dr. Qu is doing, he'd only need a few leaves to get started, not whole plants unless he wanted to start his cultures from roots or other plant parts.

  • 21 years ago

    Hi,

    Thanks to all of you, Jeff, Amazindirt, Rebecca, Marty, Virginia and Katie. Sorry for the delay, I was very busy this week.

    My grandpa used to have very lovely Gardenia and Jasmine when I was very young, but I didn't know exactly what they were. Any Gardenia and Jasmine are fine with me, I will try to go to Fall Swap if I can.

    Virginia, I missed your call. As a flower fan, I am not doing research with those lovely flowers. :)

    Talk to you later and thanks.

    Nice weekend

    Wen

  • 21 years ago

    Wen, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the swap. It takes a little over three hours to drive to the swap site from my house near the University of Memphis if you travel on Hwy. 64. That may seem a bit far, but consider that the travel time for those coming from the Knoxville area is a lot longer. Don't start any experiments that will make you have to go in to the lab on Saturday, Oct. 15! You'll enjoy the day so much. Please try to come.

    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    Virginia, thanks for your email and detailed information. Yesterday I sent you an email to info@absolutewonder.com.

    Looks like you are very familiar with the work in lab. I am not sure I can meet all of you on Oct 15, I will be out of town on vacation next week, when I come back, tons of experiments should be waiting for me in lab. I will try to let you know whether I can go as soon as I am back to Memphis.

    Rebecca, I found the picture you posted wasn't what I was looking for. The one my grandpa planted should be sambac jasmine.

    Thanks to all of you.

    Wen

  • 21 years ago

    If Wen can't make it to the swap, will one of you wonderful Memphians volunteer to carry a pot of my jasmine back to him? I'd appreciate it!

  • 20 years ago

    Amazindirt,

    Thanks for your kindness.

    I got 2 pots of Gardenia and Jasmine on my vacation last week, so please keep your jasmine, no need to ask others to bring it to me. I really appreciate that.

    I won't be able to meet you on Oct 15, sorry for that.

    Thanks and have a nice trip.

    Wen

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting