Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_gw

Gardens in Peru

Paula
24 years ago

I will be in Cuzco in the later part of this month. Are there any gardens I can or should see? I am particularly fond of roses, but love gardens of all kinds.

Paula

Comments (5)

• Newt
    22 years ago

I am planning on going to Peru in the spring and have started to dream about gardens there. I found your post from 1999 by doing a search on Peru. I noticed that no one had answered. Did you ever find any gardens to visit? I will also be going to Equador and would love to visit any gardens there as well.

Thanks,
    Newt

• Bettina
    22 years ago

I would also love to hear about gardens in Peru. Has anybody out there been to some great Peruvian gardens?

• Paula_sfbay
    22 years ago

We had a wonderful trip to Peru, but I didn't see any public gardens. There were some planted areas in Lima (where we spent very little time) and I occasionally glimpsed a rose in someone's garden, but it doesn't seem to be big rose country.

However, we saw wonderful plants growing wild! If you do any hiking near Macchu Pichu, keep your eyes open. I saw fuschias, dahlias, and begonias growing wild. I don't know if they are native or escaped exotics, but it was a discovery each time I came across them. I also understand that there are lots of wild orchids, though I did not see them myself. Perhaps I was there at the wrong time, or perhaps I was too busy not falling off the mountain to be as observant as I would like.

The scenery is astonishingly beautiful. Cuzco was great. I did not care at all for Lima. Enjoy your trip.

Paula

• John_D
    22 years ago

Sounds utterly fascinating!

• Newt
    22 years ago

Thanks, Paula.

My son has been living in Lima for about 18 months now and has been to Macchu Pichu, Cuzco and travelled around the country. He has been kind enough to video tape most of his travels and send me the tapes. It really is a beautiful country. I too have been unable to find any public gardens there. I do hope to see the Amazon jungle when I'm there. I think the orchids you mentioned will be found there. Also, the plants that you saw growing in the wild are natives of Peru. I've seen them on his videos and they are lovely.

Thanks so much for your response.
    Newt

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County