Software
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

what's blooming in your yard?

21 years ago

We seem to have lost that recurring "what's blooming in your yard" thread from earlier in the season. But this time of year always seems very transitional -- after the main spring/summer flushes, but before the fall flush -- so this may be a good time to revive it. It'll be nice to hear what's working especially well for other people!

I'm really enjoying my salvias just now. I've got several types in bloom -- two or three varieties of greggii, three varieities of guaranitica, uliginosa, melissodora, leucantha, and one or two others that aren't occurring to me at the moment. I've had resident hummers all summer for the first time, and I've had lots of fun watching them in the sages.

So -- what are you especially enjoying in your yards right now? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comments (16)

  • 21 years ago

    My Hedychiums are blooming and there is no better scent than white Butterfly Ginger! An unnamed Hoya is blooming for the first time, and my Moonvine is covered each evening in new blooms.

  • 21 years ago

    I bet that's wonderful. I don't know whether my little baby ginger will bloom this year or not! And that reminds me that we didn't plant moon vine at my parents' house this year -- drat, we almost always do that. Oh well!

  • 21 years ago

    Let me know if you need Moonvine seed for next year. I am sure I will have a ton!

    I'm going to feed the Brugs heavily this weekend to see if I can encourage big flushes before frost. I've noticed lots of tiny buds forming and hopefully, I'll have tons of blooms before long.

  • 21 years ago

    Well, my ALOCASIA X 'BLACK VELVET' is blooming. Not real attractive, I have to admit, but it does have a bloom on it. The leaves are gorgeous.
    The night blooming jasmine is about to burst into a frenzy of bloom. Tomorrow night it should be scenting the whole block.
    Impatients are going strong as is the lantana. The red geraniums I have in a hanging basket are perking up and attracing hummers. The Fuschia is coming back to life, too.
    I planted pots of asters and mums last weekend and the buds are opening up on those. The leaves are starting to fall off the oak in the back and I'm getting more sun.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks Cheryl!

    Laura, I was ecstatic when my Arum -- another aroid -- bloomed earlier this year. I hope your bloom is even more exciting. :-)

    And you're making me look forward to the day when my little jasmine from the swap is big enough to bloom. I can't wait!

  • 21 years ago

    Thought I posted this before, but it appears to be gone!

    Cleome
    Agastache
    Mints
    Perilla
    Basil
    Cardinal vine
    Trandescantia pallida
    Daylily "Stella d'oro"
    Ornamental purple pepper
    Castor bean
    Hardy begonia
    Pelargonium "geraniums"
    Canna lillies
    Zinnia
    Morning glories
    Bleeding heart vine (gorgeous!!)
    Touch-me-not impatiens
    Hosta
    Beauty berry (I think it's confused)
    Brugmansia
    Four-o-clocks (white; incredible fragrance!)
    Commelina
    Butterfly bush
    *yellow multiheaded compound flowers about 2 feet tall, annuals, light green foliage, very dense, good for bedding (I wish I knew the name!)
    *hot pink bloomer about 2 feet tall, foliage somewhat dark and inconspicuous, blossoms look like little butterflies (lost the tag)
    Grasses

  • 21 years ago

    I noticed that my corkscrew vines (vigna caracalla) have blooms on them. These are supposed to be very fragrant and will have to check that out this weekend!

    Regina,
    My bleeding heart vine has bloomed non-stop all summer long. In past years, it would just bloom in the spring and fall.

  • 21 years ago

    I don't think I've ever seen a bleeding heart vine in person. I think I remember seeing pics once or twice. I'll have to get one for next year!

  • 21 years ago

    Red Cypress vine
    Moon vine
    Black Eyed Susan vine
    Tropical Hibiscus
    Prince of Wales Feather
    Impatients
    Ginger
    House Leek
    5 varities of Canna
    Touch Me Nots
    7 different roses
    Morning Glories
    Four O'Clocks

    That's all I can think of right off the bat...PC

  • 21 years ago

    The yellow flower that I couldn't name appears to be Pelargonium:

    {{gwi:1290594}}

  • 21 years ago

    Nonono. Amongst other things, Pelargoniums (the common "geraniums") don't come in yellow!

    I'm gonna slap myself up the head when we figure out what it is. It's a common plant, and I'm supposed to know it! I hate it when that happens....

  • 21 years ago

    Hmmm...Not a lot right now...my flower gardening really slowed down this year in favor of vegetables and planting shrubs/trees.

    Moonflowers
    Petunia
    Echinachea/coneflower
    Lantana
    Globe amaranth
    Caryopteris
    Garden phlox
    Spiderflower
    Various sedums
    Still some zinnias
    Four o'clocks.

    Can't get the cannas to bloom! Drat.

  • 21 years ago

    rizzir, your plant with pretty yellow flowers is Melampodium.

    I need to do a walk-around and see what's blooming in my garden. From here I can see:
    'Knockout' &
    'Blushing Knockout'Roses
    Crepe Myrtle
    Rose-of-Sharon
    Hyacinth Bean Vine
    Sweet Autumn Clematis
    Butterfly Ginger
    A few straggly Black-eyed-Susans hanging on

    Out of sight, but not out of mind are:

    'Black & Blue' Salvia
    4-O'clocks
    Angelonia
    Spider Lilies
    Chenille Plant
    Globe Amaranth
    Celosia
    Cleome 'Linde Armstrong'
    Vinca
    Impatiens
    "Touch-me-Nots"
    Melampodium
    'Star White' Zinnia
    Heliptrope
    Verbena
    Agastache
    Gaillardia
    'Clara Curtis' Chrysanthemum
    a big, pretty, Rudbeckia (can't remember which one)
    Hardy Begonia
    Angelwing Begonia
    Spilanthes ("Peek-a-boo" or "Eyeball" Plant

    There are probably a few more that I'd find if I ventured into the heat to look!

  • 21 years ago

    TONS of sedums of course lol. Spider Lilies, my big Hibiscus, dahlias, too much to mention. But I can see the fast approach of Fall...and I'm ready.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Melampodium, Pelargonium... you can see how I got confused. They said Melampodium on Name That Plant, and I somehow got Pelargonium in my head... would you believe I woke up in the middle of the night last night and said "gee, did I type 'Pelargonium' as the name of that plant on the gardening site?" :-P

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    Yeah yeah yeah!

    I feel at least one atom less stupid now. I kept thinking it was "butter" something -- and a common name for Melampodium is butter daisy. But I shoulda known that!

Sponsored