Software
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

'Sheffield Pink' CORRECTION

20 years ago

In my earlier message about 'Sheffield Pink' mum, I neglected to give you the password to view the pictures of the original mum and its seedlings. The password is "view".

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Sheffield Pink' Mum

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    WOW - those are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

  • 20 years ago

    Those are stunnung....Where did you find those? I love mums & I'd like to find some of those.

    Also, Would you mind if I use a couple of your pictures for background wallpaper?

  • 20 years ago

    I bought the original 'Sheffield Pink' mum and the others are seedlings that came up close to the mother plant, but with the variations you see in the the pictures. I get free plants every year, but different each time, although all have daisy-like flowers. The original is a single blossom, but some of the seedlings are more double. Hosta Mom, where do you live? If you live near Franklin, I can give you cuttings next spring. Most nurseries today seem to only carry cushion mums and the 'Sheffield Pink' is more of an old-fashioned mum. Feel free to use the pictures for your project. I am glad that you enjoyed the pictures.

  • 20 years ago

    Those are beautiful. I also have 'Sheffield Pink' Mums, but this only their second year and I haven't seen any seedlings. I hope mine produce some as pretty as yours! The original plants and runners are in full bloom right now and are gorgeous. The color is a light salmon-pink. Unless disaster strikes, I should have divisions and/or cuttings at the spring swap. If it does, I know where to get more now!

    Virginia

  • 20 years ago

    Wild Rose, just let mem know if you need any cuttings. Believe me, I have plenty. Who knows, I will more than likely have more seedlings come up in the path close to the mother plant. There is one there right now that came up this year and has a beautiful YELLOW blossom.

  • 20 years ago

    Oh, thanks! I'd love either some of your seedlings, or cuttings from those that have either a different form or color. I measured my clumps the otherday, and each is about 4 feet in diameter.

    Here's what mine looked like yesterday.

  • 20 years ago

    Gorgeous, Wild Rose! I just love these showy carefree mums. How many clumps do you have in that one bed? I have several clumps around my yard but the only one that has reseeded is the original one close to a pathway and the seedlings always come up in the pathway.

  • 20 years ago

    Acutally, that is only three clumps. The one nearest the front door, in the center of the photo, is four feet wide, and the other two have grown together to form one large clump eight ft. wide mostly behind the tree. This huge mass of mums started last spring (2004) as three small mail-order plants!

  • 20 years ago

    I'd love to sign up for one or two starts of the Sheffield pink next year. :-)

    Great pic, Virginia. But I see waaaaaay too much grass there! LOL.

  • 20 years ago

    You'd better believe I'll have some at the swap unless we have a really hard winter and they don't make it. Don't even want to think about that.

    Hey, thanks Ione. I agree with you about the grass, but DH had a hissy when I tried to enlarge that bed. We have to have some compromises so I just keep adding more in the back. There's so little grass there, it only takes a weedeater to cut it!

  • 20 years ago

    i can't wait to see what (if?) i get for seedlings. the photos you posted are wonderful as well as very interesting in the variety of seedlings produced. i bought my sheffield pink mum from greenhouse gallery in lebanon this summer primarily because i thought it was mislabeled and was looking for feverfew (tanacetum parthenum) and the foliage looked a lot like what i remembered when i had it in another garden in iowa. i read about the sheffield pink online after i bought it and decided tho it wasn't what i had hoped, it might be even better. i was stunned when it first started blooming-i called the flower color orangish pink tho now they've faded a bit to pink or even nearly white. i LOVE it! now to find out i may have all sorts of new cultivars next year is an added bonus. good thing i've planted it where it can spread to a bigger area-it's nicely in among some purple oxalis that have managed to return for 4 years now so it looks really nice there.

  • 20 years ago

    Some years the color of the blossom is indeed a coral pink. For some reason this year the color on all of mine has been basically pink and fading to almost off-white over time. Today I passed one clump and hundreds of small bees of some sort were enjoying them and making quite a buzz. I am afraid tomorrow they will not be so pretty since most of Middle TN is supposed to get a freeze tonight. I dug elephant ears and dahlias today and will spend the day tomorrow getting the garden ready for winter. It is SO depressing.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County