Software
Houzz Logo Print
clou13

brugmansia cuttings

21 years ago

where is the best/cheepest source for the brug... Has anyone ever tried this one? Cut the whole tree off at the ground and over wintered it in a bucket of water??

Comments (10)

  • 21 years ago

    I don't know how that would work. I've overwintered a brug by bringing it into the garage and letting it go dormant.

  • 21 years ago

    I've been doing the whole-trunk in a bucket thing the past two years. (In fact I *think* I 'invented' that technique, LOL!)

    E-mail me, and I can fix you up with LOTS of brug cuttings. Not whole trunks--I'm keeping those!---but plenty of good above-the-Y cutings.

    If you haven't already, go to the brug forum and read the FAQs.

  • 21 years ago

    Judith, I got a big "Y" from someone as we were leaving the swap (was that you?). It still has a few roots, can I do the bucket thing with that? I did look at the Brug forum FAQ and I wasn't sure if I just needed to put it in a bucket with water, or if it should have soil instead.

    Our garage is attached to the house but unheated. Will that be warm enough or should I actually bring it inside?
    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    Virginia: That was probably mine. It has been in a bucket all summer. Put it back in one and put a couple of inches of water in it and it should be fine. But check it regularly. All those roots can really suck up the water.

    clou13, MemphisLilli: Man does it ever work. The pics below are from a trunk I cut and rooted this way last year. I had the first blooms about a month after putting this in the ground. It had 7 or 8 flushes over the summer and was full of buds again when I cut it down.

    {{gwi:583125}}

    {{gwi:583127}}

  • 21 years ago

    Wow, and I've got a head start since mine already has roots and it is still alive even though it's been out of water since the swap. I grow a lot of white flowered plants near our patio since we sit out there a lot in the late afternoon/evening. I can't wait until next summer - that white Brug is going to be gorgeous. I can't believe it was a leftover and you just gave it to me!
    Thanks!
    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    TnGreenThumb I potted mine ( that I got from you) and have
    them in the green house, they are really growing nice. Will
    they bloom this winter or just have a nice start next spring? They had your sister's name on them.
    Norm

  • 21 years ago

    hi there i just got my my brug cuttings today in the mail, i'm wondering, seeing that it took them 21 days to get here will they be ok ? they just are a little soggy where maybe the leaves were, other than that there solid, they all have good roots except 2 cuttings now what should i do , plant them up in pots or what, iv'e never grown brugs before so i need some good advice and thanks. oh the stems are solid not mushy at all , nice and green . elma

  • 21 years ago

    I'd put them in somewater in a clear glass in a sunny window. (but not direct sun) They should perk up and start putting on more roots. Then you can pot them up.

  • 21 years ago

    Ok, well I already know what NOT to do. I have a couple of dead ones that I left in the ground if anyone wants them. I left the Confederate Roses out too and they look like they're dead as well.

  • 21 years ago

    My dear Jeff,
    They come back from the root stock. I'm just now beginning to see a little bit of green on 2 of my 5, so be patient. You should see the new growth sticking their heads up in a few weeks. Love to you both, Mona

Sponsored