Software
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_mom

I have an idea what do you guys think???

20 years ago

I have access to lots of bubble wrap where I work both the big bubble & little bubble types. I use it for lots of things, but while packing something to ship today a thought occurred to me.

Could this be used to help insulate plants? I was thinking, put some sort of support ( big cylinder of some sort ) over the plant, then wrap in layers of the bubble wrap. for the support, maybe a big can with the ends cut out.

What do y'all think? Expand on this idea.....

Comments (3)

  • 20 years ago

    Yup.. I've heard of people using it on tropicals like bananas. I've never tried it myself. I think the big risk would be rot due to lack of air circulation. Perhaps wrap in burlap or something else first to provide an air layer, then bubble wrap?

  • 20 years ago

    It should work as long as you allow for air circulation like Ione said. I did an experiment one time when I still had access to little thermometers that could be buried in soil then read out on the computer. I used two of the same size containers with the same volume of soil in each. The only difference was one was wrapped in bubble wrap and the other was not. The wrapped one did turn out to hold the heat longer than the uninsulated one. Sometimes small differences lead to big results.

    Actually, I was thinking about trying to insulate some very large containers in which I'm growing Colocasias. I don't have room for the containers inside the house, and I no longer have use of the garage for over-winter-plant-storing. DH has just finished sheetrocking it and has taken it over. :-(

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Virginia,
    I grow several varites of Colocasias. I have left the Red Stem ones in a raised bed for a couple of years and they come back. I always pour a load of mulched leaves on them every fall. I dug up my babies this fall and potted them up in the unheated GH so I'm hoping to have some to trade in the Spring. I've got "Black Magic" and the "Red stems" and am going to get the burgandy and green leaf one soon. I also put a pot of "Frydek" in the GH that I will get to divide next year. I'm going to take atleast one of each and put them in one of my beds and mulch heavy to see what will happen to them. I really don't like having to take them in.

    I did learn something a few years ago with non-hardy amaryllis. I planted a few around a big old oak and several in one of my garden beds. The ones around the oak still come up and bloom each year. The ones in the bed, froze into a big glob of mush. So, the soil definetly stays warmer when there is a structer or tree close to the plant you want to plant. I had no idea it could make that much difference. My neighbor has one of the huge red and white Amaryllis that she planted 4 years ago in the corner where her house meets the sidewalk and this thing is huge!It had about 20 big blooms this year. I'm going to try to convience her she needs to divide it! This plant came from the florist and it is not supposed to be hardy. We've had many nights in the teens and that thing just keeps on growing in her mini tropical area close to her house. I guess all the concrete and brick act like heaters in the winter.

    S0, even if it's not supposed to live, if you pick the right, protected spot and add your bubble wrap, you should have some nice plants next year.

    OH yes, do not completely cover the plants with this like every0ne said. It will act like a stem bath on bright sunny days and you will have soup!

    Love to you all, Mona

Sponsored