Software
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Important announcement

18 years ago

We are going to need everyone that is interested in continuing the MTPS to show up Saturday! We have an important announcement that will affect everyone so we need all of you guys there. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic just to bump attendance. There are going to be some major changes made so if you want this then it's time to step up to the plate folks.

Comments (16)

  • 18 years ago

    Sounds like your trying to be overly dramatic just to bump attendance. (-:

  • 18 years ago

    Actually this is going to be the last MTPS at our current location with Jan & Jim.

    We need everyone possible to show Saturday!

    Details to come....

  • 18 years ago

    Well, it is a lovely location -- but if we could find a new spot that isn't quite so far away, I wouldn't be all that upset about it!

    Jeff, we have the East TN/Knoxville swap in a local park. I'm sure we could arrange something similar with one of the many parks in the Nashville area. Edwin or Percy Warner, for instance.

  • 18 years ago

    I hate to give it all away but I've already struck a deal with Henry Horton State Park. I'm working out the logistics with the park manager now and she is very, very excited to be getting us! They are only 13 miles off of I-65 and Exit-46 and 30 miles off of 840. Only four turns off of 65 and the signs are already there. They want us badly!

    The location is great!!! They are on the Duck River; there are cabins, campsites and a motel at the park; a golf course; canoe rentals; fishing; Frisbee golf; playground; bathrooms; shelters; grills; heated/AC indoor facilities in case of inclement weather; a restaurant; Rangers to help with parking and more. Plus the directions and access are just stupid easy. The real kicker is that it is all FREE except for the lodging/camping/canoe rental and golf!

    1 hour from Nashville
    1.5 hours from Huntsville
    1.75 hours from Clarksville
    2 hours from Bowling Green
    2.25 hours from Birmingham
    2.5 hours from Chattanooga
    3.5 hours from Knoxville
    4 hours from Memphis

    IÂll fill everyone in on Saturday.

  • 18 years ago

    Sounds great!

  • 18 years ago

    Jeff, This is so bittersweet. I love Jan and Jim and will miss the beautiful place they have generously shared for years. I will have to make a trip during the summer months there to visit them. Of course Jan will have to come see us too! Henry Horton is like right in my back yard! How cool to be so close. You got your set up help handy. Rhonda

  • 18 years ago

    Jeff,

    I am sooo...... excited. Yes, the canoe ground is beautiful and I will miss it but I am about 14 miles from Henry Horton so I sure hope this works out!

    Rhonda, where do you live? I'm near the I-65 on ramp off of Bear Creek.

    Evelyn

  • 18 years ago

    Hey Evelyn, I am two miles off 65, exit 36. We are neighbors!

  • 18 years ago

    First of all, I want to express my deepest thanks to Jan and Jim for allowing us to use their campground. They have always been so gracious and kind. Secondly, a big thanks to Jeff for already finding a new spot. Big Guy, you are rockin'. The good news about the new location is that I can probably drive that distance without someone having to bring me. I am excited about that, but will miss the great location on the Buffalo.

    Ann

  • 18 years ago

    We have imposed on Jan and Jim as well as their business long enough. It's time for the birds to leave the nest.

    We owe them sooooooooooooooooooo much for all that they have done for us and in truth; we can never repay their generosity and the sacrifices that they have made FOR US!
    I seriously doubt that any of us know what an emotional strain and financial drain this has caused them over the years.
    Just stop and think about how you would handle all of us goobers invading your home or your workplace two weekends every year for the last six or seven years!
    I love you guys but I don't want you all showing up at our house at one time especially if I'm trying to work that day and make my living!!!

    So we need to really kiss their behinds this weekend and show them as much love as possible.

    So, hey Jan & Jim:
    [***Big pucker - Smooch, smooch, smooch!!!***]

    Lavonne and I love you two more than you'll ever know!

  • 18 years ago

    Very well said, Jeff. I have enormous respect for Jan and Jim. I have often wondered through the years how they could deal with our invasion while running their business at the same time. Thanks to their generousity, I not only have brought home lots of plants but I have a heartful of memories that are very dear to me. I am glad that you found us another place to meet. Jan and Jim can take a load off their shoulders and enjoy now. Rhonda

  • 18 years ago

    Jim and I have enjoyed everyone that has come to the swaps so very much. We have made some great friends, and will miss having the swaps here. Jim's health is deterioting quite a bit and we may even have to quit the canoeing. We'll have to just wait and see.

    I'm so glad that Jeff was able to find someplace that will accomodate all the swap friends so well. I know you will thoroughly enjoy the new place you are going.

    Looking forward to seeing everyone 1 last time this Sat.

    Jan

  • 18 years ago

    This is so sad, this has been one of the best things in my life. Wish I was close by so I could help Jim out. Will sure miss all of the friends I have found there. Never met a gardener that I did not like. Will still be on the internet to read and chat. Thanks so much Jan and Jim.
    Love you folks Norm and Barb

  • 18 years ago

    Dang Norm this isn't a funeral! We're just moving the location to get us out of Jim's hair. It will be less than a half hour longer of a drive for the Mempho crowd but it will be interstate almost the entire way. Don't even act like this is your last swap to attend! And donÂt make me come down there and jerk you out of the house either; thatÂs not good for my ribs!

    I know it won't be exactly the same but give the folks at Henry Horton a chance. IÂm old enough that I hate any kind of change too but it isnÂt always a bad thing. I despised having to learn about computers when they installed these monstrosities at Aetna in the mid-80Âs but I donÂt how IÂd function without them now. If my server goes down IÂm in a panic until it comes back up.

    I promise everyone is going to like the new digs! This is a fantastic opportunity!!! HHSP is on the Duck River so weÂll have all the stuff that we have now but considerably more amenities and options available to us. These people REALLY want us to come and are VERY excited about the prospect of helping us host the MTPS. The Park Manager, Karen Moore, is bending over backwards to cater to us. You will be pleasantly surprised come May 17th!!!

    Plus, it will be our 5th wedding anniversary so ya'll don't want to ruin it for us. If we're willing to spend our 5th anniversary hosting the MTPS then you guys better show up and make a good impression. :-)

    "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind.
    To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse.
    To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better.
    To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."

    King Whitney Jr.

    I'm confident that this is the correct thing to do for the sake of Jan & Jim and that we are going to meet this challenge by growing and getting better with the move.

  • 18 years ago

    OMG. It can't POSSIBLY be your fifth anniversary. I remember you here on the forum before you got married. Surely just last year??

  • 18 years ago

    Dang Doc I was on here before Lavonne and I even met! We dated for two years before we got hitched. I bet it was '98 or '99 when I found GW. Geez, I was still in my 30's!!! Ok, very late 30's.

Sponsored