Software
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

Winter Blues--What do You Do?

20 years ago

I am wondering what you TN gardeners do in the winter to pass the time or fulfill your need to be outside digging in the dirt. I love to read gardening magazines and books. I have read nearly every gardening book in the local library. I also love to grow plants from seeds. I have a plant stand with grow lights set up in the guest bedroom closet. Hope I don't have many visitors this winter who want to spend the night!

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    I get quite a few plant catalogs. I look through them until I can picture what's on each next page before turning the page. Kinda pitiful huh?

  • 20 years ago

    Farmerbell, I am with you on reading every plant related book in the local library system! Sometimes twice.

    I have a ton of plants that I drag inside the house, so I still get to 'garden' during the winter. I like to start seeds around Feb. if I still have the space. I make a list of what I would like to try next summer. Catch up on reading, knit, crochet, sew, and attempting to do a little quilting this winter...the list goes on. About a year ago, I discovered that I enjoy painting with acrylics on various rocks that are left over from outdoor projects. I am always stumbling on some new crafty thing that I hadn't tried. I will go through all the pictures that I have taken this season and cull some. I have a web design business I started this summer that I will be working hard to get going. Learning new software.

    Plus, I keep up with two kids and their activities and school.

    Can you tell I don't watch a lot of TV? LOL!

    Rebecca

  • 20 years ago

    Like Brandon I wear my plant cataogs out, then I spend a
    lot of time in the greenhouse, starting plants for the
    next spring swap. Wife has a sun room and I have the green
    house. Then there is all the bird feeders to keep filled.
    Norm

  • 20 years ago

    Winter Sowing!

  • 20 years ago

    I think I am going to try some winter sowing this year too.

    I also wear out the catalogs, look at magazines & spend too much time on the net looking at websites. :-)

    Another thing I do is hit the bookstores at the end of season for clearanced gardening books. I spend alot of time reading in the winter months & I love to get $30 - $40 books clearanced for usually around $5.

  • 20 years ago

    Oh Yea,

    forgot to mention, I just got some software that I'm sure I can kill some time with. It is landesigner for landscaping, bundled with a plant/tree encyclopedia of over 10,000 plants. The encyclopedia has pictures of many different stages of growth on each plant/tree.

    With the design part I can play with sketches & pictures of my place to see what plants/trees can look like as they mature.

    I can forsee these things eating alot of my free time too.... lol

  • 20 years ago

    I have too many hobbies to mention, but gardening overshadows most of them in spring, summer, and fall. Once it gets too cold to do much gardening, my knitting needles and the sewing machine come out, the TV stays on longer, gardening catalogs get tattered, I make garden art with mosaics and paint, and I'm on the computer more. Like Joe, one of my main interests is photography and I also play with the photos in PhotoShop. In fact, just today, I took six framed prints that had been converted into watercolor-looking images and printed on watercolor paper to a gallery where they'll hang for a week and hopefully one or more will sell! Oh, and last winter I discovered Polymer Clay, jewelry making, and painted three rooms in the house.

  • 20 years ago

    I left out WinterSowing!!!

  • 20 years ago

    Reading...reading...reading....and winter sowing ! Trading seeds back and forth to get ready for that. I learn a bit every year I winter sow on what does well for me and what doesn't.

    Cheryl

  • 20 years ago

    As much as I love gardening, I am ready for a change of activities in sync with the change of seasons. Now I have time to search the web for new gardening places to visit, to browse on line catalogs to see what's new. I can spend more time on other forums at Garden web---like the one on tips. Over the year when I run across an interesting site that I didn't have time to look at, I bookmark it. I spend a good month going through bookmarked sites developing my next year's wish list of 10 or 20 things I will be searching for next spring.....

    Then I go through books and websites for inspiration for the two or three new projects I will do next year. By spring, I will know precisely what I want to do and where I will find the things with which to do them.

    I research public/private gardens and nurseries in places that I might visit next year and pick up a few more ideas.

    By the end of January, I'm out watching for my first iris reticulata to break ground----a sure sign that spring is on the way. Having plants that bloom extremely late and extremely early, seems to have a great psychological boost for me.

    .....and I think you have to have something completely different that holds your interest in the winter. Mine happens to be genealogy. I love doing it----but only for brief periods.

  • 20 years ago

    This winter will conclude my first full year as a true "gardener". It would never have come to be without all of you! I am truly grateful for all of the time you all spend here, and for all the wisdom you have so freely imparted. I only hope I will get so good at this that I will become like peri_n_eal and be able to plant out my gardening adventures and enjoy working on other projects to pass the dark months. It sounds freeing. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am driven to distraction by about February with the desire to get things growing NOW. Last winter I drove my co-workers crazy with my flats of seedlings on boxes shoved up under their desk lights. This year I will winter sow to scratch that itch - and I wouldn't have known about it without all of you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting