Software
Houzz Logo Print
little_red_hen

New to this clay...

20 years ago

Hi all. I just moved here from FL a few months ago...where I had rich black, composted dirt, heavily mulched with pine straw for weeds, and heirloom plants. Here, we've recently moved into a home with a generous back yard; it's temporary living until we can afford the next step to a SMALL fiber farm. I'm anxious to get back to the ground though....

What to do first? I have a patch of slightly sloping ground, 16 x 25 that will get good sun from about 9:30-3 and filtered sun before and beyond those times. It is currently under a heap of leaves. How much of those leaves should I till into the ground? Should I add manure and lime? I've seen this hard clay grow some beautiful gardens but I'm still amazed at how it happens...seemed as hard as concrete this summer! Not like FL's sandier soil at all...

Can I really put in garlic as late as New year's and hope to get a crop? What about asparagus and onions?

Should I raise the bed? I was thinking about a double-dig method after the initial tilling to break the ground up...is that good or overkill? And what about mulching? What to use? Should I do it at all? None of the gardens I saw this summer were mulched yet I wouldn't dream of skipping that in FL where the weeds and bugs are so rampant.

Any and all advise welcome!

Comment (1)

Sponsored