Software
Houzz Logo Print
madgardener_etn

Variegated Arum leaves are UP!!

20 years ago

My variegated Arum leaves are UP!

madgardener

Comments (3)

  • 20 years ago

    Those are gorgeous ! Mine look tiny compared to those . Nice to see green in December.

  • 20 years ago

    My tending bulb fairies thank you for the compliment. But these are about......(sounds of me thinking)six or seven years old, planted in raised beds that consists of compost, leaf mold and night crawler worm castings that is about nine or ten inches thick, the bed being too wide at five feet, and eight feet on one section, with a point I added a few years ago adding another three foot to THAT, (it's a wierd looking bed when you see it from the kitchen deck. But the side yard sloping down as steeply as it does, the bed actually works.......somehow in my madness for gardening, I listened to the lay of the hillside when I started all this. But the Arum plants were I think from Dutch Gardens, I have them in three places, one place where I'll never be able to retrieve them, which is in the crotch of a fig tree, which I bet given time the Arum's lose on that location.

    I have a smaller patch in the front and I wonder if it's because the soil isn't as rich there as the western bed. These last three years I've actually had the blessing to have seen those incredible orange corncob looking seeds left on the spathe after a quiet fertilization. It was almost like the picture that Dutch Garden uses when they picture the bare root plants in their spring catalog. I was thrilled. They aren't long lived unless the weather takes a turn for the cooler, and then the orange seedpods hold for three weeks. (One year was almost perfect). It's neat to see the cycle of this plant. The leaves are georgous in winter when there isn't much to see in green but evergreen trees. There are many wild cedars where I am, and a massive white pine across the driveway that will be the end of my east end of the house if it ever gets tired and falls. And you know if it falls, it will be northwards on the down slope of the ridge top.

    But after the leaves bulk up and shine for me during winter, they quietly set flower spaths and I don't always catch those when they're perfect. There are other distractions blooming at the time. And summer they just hunker down and look inobtrusive. But I consider them one of my bones in my garden. It's almost a four season plant. Which is high in my book on plants to have in another garden.

    Great chatting about Arums. This made me think about all the other plants I have that are just as neat now and thru the winter as the spring and summer show stealers.

    the list might be longer than I would have thought.

    madgardener

  • 20 years ago

    Pretty pretty. This is my first winter with Arum Italicum in my garden and all that fresh healthy green seems so strange. I can't wait until they look as thick and beautiful as yours.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative Custom Closet Designer Servicing Franklin County