Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

What's blooming in your yard?

laurelin
16 years ago

I'd love to see what's blooming in your gardens Upstate. Here are a few of my favorite flowers from this week:

My white dogwood, which was rather sparse on blooms this year.

Lilac 'Wonderblue' (also called 'Little Boy Blue,' a dwarf).

{{gwi:345533}}
The garden by the end of our driveway (a terribly tough place for plants, since it's intermittently covered with piles of snow, slush, and grit all winter, and baked all summer).

{{gwi:633195}}
An unknown heirloom dwarf bearded (or intermediate bearded) iris, from a good friend.

Laurel

Comments (11)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

No pics yet but all I have in bloom right now is the following:
    Coral honeysuckle (newly added since old one isn't quite ready
    Native columbine
    Bleeding hearts
    and two Salvia praeclara

my irises aren't blooming yet nor are my azaleas or rhody.

Penny

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

Violets, sweet woodruff, white and pink bleeding hearts, periwinkle, lunaria, sweet cicely, ground ivy, jack-in-the-pulpit, lungwort, celandine, forget-me-nots, apple tree, cherry tree, pasque flower (fading now), dwarf comfrey, last of the daffodils.

• hammerl
    16 years ago

pansies, tulips, pulmonaria (lungwort), trillium, bleeding heart, sweet woodruff, forget-me-nots, tree peony, azalea, dwarf columbine, wood hyacinth, primrose, drumstick primrose, muscari (grape hyacinth), icelandic poppy, lilacs, and honesty (money plant).

Budded and blooming soon include bearded iris, jacob's ladder, peonies, globeflower, and rhododendron.

Great pictures, I love that dwarf bearded iris!

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, hammerl! I'm having too much fun with my digital camera. Here's what's blooming today:

Dogwood, lilacs, Tulips, fernleaf bleeding hearts, Sweet Woodruff, violets, pansies, lobelia, late daffodils, variegated Solomon's seal, and that little purple iris is still going strong. My tall irises and columbine are budding. The peony buds are like big marbles now, and some are showing a bit of color.

This white heliotrope is from a nursery; it smells powerfully of vanilla. (For some reason, even though I resized the photo in Photobucket, it's showing up very large here - my apologies to those on dial-up!)

I love these tiny daffodils.

Laurel

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Right now it iris and euphorbia polychroma:

{{gwi:230683}}

Late tulips and allium:

I have those same lovely dwarf daffodils!

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

One more of the shady area: bleeding heart, pulmonaria "Mrs. Moon, Jack Frost brunnera, white fringed bleeding heart, drumstick allium

• waplummer
    16 years ago

A better question might be, what is NOT blooming. Most of my bulbs have finished blooming. Most of my spring wildflowers are in bloom except those like Sanguinaria and Jeffersonia that are reapidly developing their seed pods. Asimina, Cornus, Viburnum, Cercis, Calycanthus. A dozen or more Rhododendrons with lots more whose buds are swelling, Kalmia is getting ready to bloom. Meconopsis cambrica is popping up all over the place, including a crack in the flagstone patio.

• garden_frog
    16 years ago

Wow, that lilac is gorgeous!! I need to look for that one!

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very nice, gottagarden! Everything is blooming now, it seems - the peonies are starting, the irises are in full swing, various annuals are getting some good growth and bloom. It's been fun seeing new things every day now.

Geranium 'Brookside' and hosta 'Minuteman'

Siberian iris, nectaroscordum, chives, asters, more.

{{gwi:361852}}
    Yellow columbine

Laurel

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Sorry no pictures. My 3 Fringe trees/bushes are filling the bacyard with their heavenly scent. Dracuculus vulgaris is getting ready to unfurl their large stinky flowers. 2 Red buckeyes along with my Ruby Red Horse Chestnut are blooming.

• green_panther
    16 years ago

I've been taking pictures right along this year, but this time seems to be a bit of a lull in most of my garden. I do have my clematis starting to open
    {{gwi:1325479}}
    And I LOVE my columbine, they are so delicate!
    {{gwi:1325481}}
    Also, a new seedling had taken right off - Painted Lady vine
    {{gwi:1325485}}

Thanks for sharing all the pics - I love to see them. Guess I had better get some giant allium to fill in my bloom lull.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH