Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Topnotch nursery?

mudlady_gw
18 years ago

I live closer to Syracuse than Rochester, but do go to Rochester almost weekly. I would appreciate members' advice regarding really fabulous greenhouses, landscapers, nurseries, etc. Specifically, I want to buy good sized pots of Miscanthus, other tall grasses, and shrubs, especially dwarf burning bushes. So far, my favorite is Ontario Orchards on Rt. 104.

Thanks,

Mudlady

Comments (10)

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I love Ontario Orchards and go there often. I've also just discovered Oliver Paine Greenhouses in Fulton. They have a website at www.oliverpainegreenhouses.com. My other favorite is Chuck Hafner's in Liverpool. They are going to be opening a huge new nursery later this year as well. They also have a website at www.chuckhafner.com. I get most of my annuals and smaller perennials at the Regional Market on Saturday. If you've never been I highly recommend it, especially starting Memorial Day weekend.

• booberry85
    18 years ago

Try Harris Seeds in Rochester. They're on Paul Road. I believe it's more on the west side of Rochester.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris Seed

• pat_w
    18 years ago

Also, on Rt 3 in Fulton there is Sunshine Produce. Not nearly as big as Ontario Orchards but very nice folks. I shop at Sunshine quite often.

• flowerlady411
    18 years ago

Our Harris Garden Centers in Rochester are all closing. The one I like, on Buffalo Rd, is already gone. It looks like the mail order end is still up and running. I was able to get on their site and sign up for a catalog... but the stores here seem to be vanishing fast. I like the Garden Factory, also on Buffalo Rd and Sara's in Brockport.

• kcook969
    17 years ago

Gallea's Tropical Greenhouse
    2832 Clover St, Pittsford, NY

Spring Valley Greenhouse
    3242 Daansen Rd, Walworth, NY
    (315) 597-9816

Harvest Hill 5&20 Geneva (closing next season) *

Lehigh Farms
    2739 Arcadia Zurich Norris Rd, Newark, NY

Hillcrest Horticultural Ctr *
    2472 Havens Corners Rd, Penn Yan

Moon Valley Plant Co *
    5664 State Route 14, Dundee, NY

If its starred (*) I've been there personally. The rest I have heard of, and are supposed to be good.

• ruthny1
    17 years ago

My daughter went to Oswego Univ, so I stopped at Ontario Orchards many times! I LOVE that place but I haven't been up in that neck of the woods in probably close to 5 years now.

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Thanks, folks, for the suggestions.
    Mudlady

• tj_savidge_gmail_com
    13 years ago

if u like burning bush check out red chokeberry orgrey dogwood shrub the reds/maroons and purples are awesome.

• ridgetop01 (zone 5b)
    13 years ago

I am very fond of Ballantyne Gardens, on Hopkins Rd., not too far from Chuck Hafner's in Syracuse. They are a small nursery run by a nice young couple who are very active in the local gardening community, and they have interesting oddities, and lots of wonderful things packed into a small, lovely little place that's worth a visit in the summer just to smell the flowers and see the bees and butterflies flit around. They have chickens onsite, ponds, and are just a wonderful place to visit if you are in the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballantyne Gardens website

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Well since this old thread has been resurrected....

I work near Ballantyne Gardens and keep forgetting to stop in. This spring for sure!

Phoenix Flower Farm in Phoenix(surprise!) is worth a drive. Nice grounds and nice people. Their website has lots of information. Unfortunately they haven't been maintaining the site.