alb419_ny

mountain lions in upstate ny

alb419_ny

Has anyone seen a mountain lion in upstate ny?

• p_j_hagerstrom_gmail_com

My friends and I rented a house/farm about 20 min south of Roscoe late last summer. One night while driving back to the house we turned a corner and a mtn lion burst out from the left side of the road, crossed in front of the car and bound up the bank on the right and into the woods. It couldn't have been anything else. It was tan/golden, long tail, lanky body, HUGE, etc. It looked just like that photo someone linked to earlier.

I fish a lot in the Neversink Gorge and wonder if I should be concerned. I ran into a guy two weeks ago who was fishing but was also armed (small handgun on his side) and that got me thinking.... Thoughts?

• jeffco8475

I live in Clarence NY and have seen a few of these mountain lions, lynx or bobcat. Well, I am not very experienced in these matters, but the more I research this, the more I believe what I saw is a mountain lion. It was a large cat (40-60 lbs I would guess, long tail reachig the ground and then curling upward. On one occasion the one I saw was stark black, the other occasion it appeard to be a reddish brown, or just plain darker brown. I have photographs of its footprint on my deck. I had found that it knocked the grease trap off of my grill on the porch, ate the grease, stepped in it and left a perfect footprint on the deck stairs. Another strange occurence we have found on our property is large piles of feces high up in a very large willow tree in our yard. There were several different piles, all in the same tree, all in an area where a large branch will join with the trunk. The feces contained a large amount of hair like it had been eating quite a few rabbits. We generally see this animal a couple times a year, but it has been becoming more frequently as of yet. Probably due to our curiousity. Anyone that can offer any type of information on this topic and my encounters would be much appreciated. I am in the process of trying to get a photo of this animal on a trail cam, and if I do I will be sure to post it here. Either that or a good photo with the digital camera if luck allows. I can be reached at jcol8475@netzero.com Thanks, Jeff.

Pavers vs Stained Concrete or something else?

That area is phase I of our landscaping, which Triple Sixteen also designed and installed. In the curve of the arch will be bubbling basalt columns. Beyond is currently a base of 5/8th crushed gravel which will be Montana slate leading to the sunniest part of the back yard and will have a couple of steamer chairs for sunning and low curved stacked stone wall behind. We needed them to bring in the topsoil and rock and get the landscape design past the review board. We (husband and I) will plant (mostly native) this spring and fall. I am a landscape designer with my own small business since 1996, but because I am not an "architect" I could not design our own yard (per the restrictions of the Design Review Board). It's all good, now we get to do the fun part!

How old is your home?

This is our 1937 brick bungalow. We are the second owners and have lived in our home 35 years. Everything is original to the home and well built with quality materials and craftsmanship; solid cherry woodwork and doors, arched limestone fireplace, hardwood floors, coved ceilings, six inch plaster walls, marble windows sills and black steel fenestra windows. Maintenance is our top priority; new roof, gutters and an efficient furnace.

POLL: Do you have fireflies where you are?

Here's another vote for Midcoast Maine! They are abundant a little later in early to mid-summer and they are a dream! We love to lay in our bed at night and stair out our bay window and watch them. We crack the window and the babbling of the brook adds the perfect background music.

POLL: Have you turned on the heater yet?

Turned the heater on, then the A/C the next day, then then the heater again and then the A/C again, such is "winter" in Houston. Like the old joke says, "If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a day and it'll change"
  • jeffco8475

• artaq

Mtn. Lions are most def in parts of NY...and they no doubt roam through all of it into other States. the DEC knows this very well, though they aren't quick to admit it.

no need to be worried about Mtn Lions attacking humans. they have a TON of prey food to eat. this state is riddled with White Tail Deer. they will, and do, prefer those over us.

the "Black" cats ppl are seeing are either Black Panthers from someone letting them go (or they escaped from captivity), or they are Melanistic Mtn. Lions (i think that is the word...or is it Amelanistic??)

saw that story on the History Channel's "Monster Quest" last night...very interesting!!!!!!!!

tx --- art.

• morgan_wright

Look folks, it's real simple. In parts of the country where cougars REALLY DO live, such as Calfornia, there is solid proof found all the time. Lions killed by cars, old lions that died of old age (they all die sometime, and leave bodies), dens full of cubs, lion skeletons or bones, lion skins, dead animals killed by lions (they kill in identifiable ways) hunters who illegally shoot them and lots of wildlife camera get their pic, or security camera. There are even lion attacks on people, and LOTS AND LOTS of real, believable photographs. in New York, nothing like this is ever found. Why? Because they aren't here. I saw Elvis last week walking with the Loch Ness Monster. People who have sightings should get their eyes examines, I'm an eye doctor and lots of people come in my office with 20/400 vision and think they see just fine. These people would see a deer and think it's a lion. Get over it, there would be proof if they were here. No proof means they aren't here, but there sure are a lot of dumb who think they see them. I live in the Adirondacks. I don't understand why so many people claim they see things that aren't there just because somebody else saw it. It's like a human trait. How many people saw Champ in Lake Champlain but after 300 years of millions of people fishing nobody ever caught one? What the hell is wrong with people?????? -Morgan Wright

• roguehikersofwny

Folks,

We spotted a mountain lion in Hamlin, NY, right off Rt. 19 where the town just put in a new trail system.

We had a similar experience to others posted here. Two of saw the cat as were hiking today.

At first, when I spotted the cat as it ran across the main path, but I thought it was a VERY big fox, because of the red color. Not really thinking cougars here.

After we got deeper into the woods, on a side trail, we came across it dead on about 100 feet ahead, but thinking at first it was a deer -- until I saw the cat's head, and thought geez, that looks like tiger. Then, I realized OMG -- that is, it's a mountain lion!

We both saw it at the same time, and I never turned, tucked tail, and ran so fast! We hauled out of there scared skinny that cat saw us.

We made a narrow escape, when I saw that head my animal instinct kicked in, I knew we were in big danger.
    I felt like we were back on the steppes of Africa suddenly exposed, like in a dream, where you are suddenly confronted with an attacker.

So there you have it, sighting of cougar along Lake Ontario, western NY, about 30 miles northwest of Rochester. Anyone else care to verify?

• skipkyle

I just spoke to a woman today who claims she seen one in Sullivan County last year. I was pretty shocked to overhear her conversation. I questioned her about it and she told me the story. She said she was positive it was a mountain lion. It was no bob cat. She said it was huge and she didn't know why she wasn't attacked. It was only about three or four feet infront of her. It just left.

• craiggrnt_yahoo_com

Mountain lions \ cougars are not black panthers. There are no black cougars and never were. Black panthers are Leopards. Leopards are south\ central America. Few Black panthers exist in the wild anywhere. They have been produced through genetics in zoos in limited numbers. I believe there are cougars in NY but find it hard to believe after 10s of thousands of years we all the sudden have black ones

• in ny zone5

That would be black panthers escaped from illegal private zoos possibly, such as the one cougar killed years ago in the Adirondacks was genetically found not be a wild one. Black panthers are also being seen in Great Britain, probably also escaped.

• gunhunter420_aol_com

Hunting season 2010 I persoonally ecountered a mountain lion or cougar in Camden N.Y.Thought i had seen this cat in the 2009 season but wasnt 100pct. sure.But within 20 yards 2010 season i was absolutly sure this was a mountain lion or cougar.

• gruvfunk

We are new residents in the Catskills, living on the southern foothills of Mombaccus and High Point - Tabasco, NY to be exact. We've been here not even 5 months and marvel at the bountiful wildlife. Some sightings are unbelievable.

Late last fall we were both shocked to see a large light brown feline of massive proportion walk past our house (within 20 yards in our backyard). There was no question this thing was not a regular house cat and far from domesticated. We did not have time to grab a camera.

Today, March 2nd, 2011 just before dusk we just sighted a large jet black feline, again massive (within 25 yards, same location as last). About 6 feet in length without the tail, which was enormous on its own and very bulky at the end. Again, no time for a camera.

Both cats had the same qualities: sleek movers, slick coats, concave arch in their back, huge shoulder blades sticking up, long tail barely grazing the ground.

Both cats presented us a profile view and walked away diagonally. We never see faces. Both sightings lasted about 20 seconds.

I'll be going out tomorrow morning to try and find tracks in the frozen snow.

If you live in this area, you have likely seen Black Bear, Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, Bald Eagle, Pileated Woodpecker, etc - I know I have. If you have sighted a large feline in our area, please chime in!

For reference, last 30 seconds of this video depict what we just saw 2 hours ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUhGnInNRXo

Whether here naturally or escaped from a zoo, I cannot speculate. But this does substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in my humble opinion.

Gruv.

• nascar2joe_yahoo_com

There are mountain lions, lynx, bobcat, wolf, coyote, coy dogs, black bear, moose, red and gray fox plus many other animals in the area that are seen regularly.

• NYCpinklady

I lived in Southern California for 12 years. I was amazed to see the lack of concern for mountain lions that roamed in the hills. It finally changed when people started getting attacked on the regular.

Much like the earth quakes there, there was a time that it just was not really talked about in an informative manner.

As cats of any size are extremely elusive. My daughter and I were burying my cat, which died after 20 years, In Fryeman Park above Studio City, Ca.
    As we stood up to leave, I got a very heavy stench in the air(like fifty dirty, cat litter boxes together, or a visit to the zoo). The hair stood up on the back of my neck! I knew it had to be a mountain lion. We looked above and around never seeing it. But the stench followed us to the entrance of the park. Two days later there was a sighting of a mountain lion watching the children in a school yard, below from the same section.
    I believe the sightings! Upstate is a perfect environment for such an animal to thrive. I admire you fellow New Yorkers up there and how you live. Wish I had the B****!

• LFM12_aol_com

Last year at this time in May 2010 my neighbor spotted a large cat that looked like a mountain lion in his front yard, at around 3am. This past Saturday nite around 4am there was a bone chilling screem (not a roar) and woke both my husband and I.
    We turned on the outside lights to see if we could see anything, but everything was quiet. We were going to call 911 but the screems seemed to be getting further away. My neighbor thinks, that whatever it is, it takes this route for migration. By the way, four of our neighbors heared this bone chilling screem, so we are not imagining it!!!
    We live in Sodus NY between Rochester and Syracuse.

• ninemilehydropower

In the late 60's a friend's pony was found dead in the blood stained snow on West Hill in Camillus, NY. Local police, Sheriff and State Police were on scene.
    There were large cat's paw prints in the snow and on a vehicle. Photos were taken by authorities of the scene and the prints.

• tucker_freestone_gmail_com

I was working in Bradford county PA close to the NY state border cutting lines (paths). One afternoon in between a couple of large fields i followed two sets of prints (both were quite recent and very clearly mountain lion) along a somewhat muddy two track for at least 30 feet. One set of what appeared to be baby prints right along side a huge set that joined in, they were next to some deer and coyote prints and the adult cat tracks were a good bit larger than either. I cant imagine escaped pets managed to find each other and breed, i am convinced they have always been here in hiding. After all we are the reason that they were "driven" out of the area in the first place, why wouldn't they be hiding from us?

• belle1952_gmail_com

It was the summer of 1969. Nothing I have ever heard before or since compared to the screaming I heard in the middle of the night. In the middle of nowhere - town of Ohio. I was sure someone was being killed. I was 16 yo. I am amazed at how NY says there are no mountain lions and passes it off as a lynx - what about that tail or a fisher - come on. And now, a mountain lion was killed in Connecticut in a road accident. I think that's proof enough.

• DaCows4040

In response to gruvfunk, I think you saw what is known as a Fisher. They can have dark fur, almost black and are a very large type of animal from the weasel family.

I have read this forum numerous times because I thought I saw a mountain lion in Rockland County NY, at the very Southern most part of Harriman state park, off on the other side of the fence from interstate 87. I no longer believe that I did see a mountain lion. Living in Westchester just 8 miles from the I have seen numerous foxes and coyotes.

Last year (2010) on route 17 driving south I almost hit a black bear crossing the highway near Hancock, NY.

Anyways what finally brought me to post was the fact that there recently was a Mountain Lion in NY. As many of the other who have posted against Mt. Lions being here many of the reasons you gave of why mountain lions are not in the state were true. First off there was multiple sightings of this animal in the same area on the same day. It became a huge news story down here. Wildlife experts were able to find tracks and scat from this lion. Lastly, very sadly as many have said would happen, this mountain lion was killed by a car. If you check out this link http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/hc-milford-car-vs-mountain-lion-0612-20110611,0,2357918.story

or just google mountain lion, greenwich ct you can find multiple stories. They believe this lion was released or escaped from its owner/handler. I would not be surprised if a rich person in CT owned a mountain lion illegally.

Hope this helps!

• hotrodcorvette72_aol_com

Recently , a mountain lion was killed by a car in Connecticut.
    Do you ever think the Connecticut DEP will release any info
    regarding whether or not it was de-clawed or the contents of it's stomach to see what it was feeding on ?

• sled05

I found this site while researching for what I saw on the hill where I have land in Richford NY in Tioga Co. I was driving down a seasonal road when I saw two black cats about 12-14" at the shoulder, short hair, and long tail that dropped down and turned back up. It appeared as if they were playing. As I rode toward them they walked slowly into the tall grass off the road. I got off my 4wheeler and walked in after them. I caught a few glimpses as they cheeped through the underbrush and watched them till they disappeared, about 10 seconds. I walked back to the road, maybe 15' I got back on my 4wheeler and another one about 200' down the road came out of the brush and ran down the road 100' more. I looked for that one but no luck. My first thought was that I saw three black feral cats. But the long drooped tail and arched back said that they must have been juvenile mountain lions. I told my friend who spends most of the hunting season in the woods the story and he said for sure they were mountain lions, and that the mother was most likely near by or in a tree above. So after reading all the above posts I see no need to call the DEC to report the incident.

• LBrown8349

I just want to say that I SAW a Black Panther today!! That's why I did the search. I told the Forest Ranger and he said others have sited them too, but the DEC officially says None in NY. I first thought it was a black bear, until it turned around and ran in the woods. It was definately a black mountain lion, with the long tail. It was bigger than a German Shepard too. So to say they don't exist is BULL. This was in Jersey Hill State Forest, near Birdsall, NY (Allegany County)!

• riz27_aol_com

I live in hornell I moved there a year ago from the city .no one ever told me about the lions i saw it on the back road on webb crossing I was about 10th yards away and it was tan and had a white marking down it face so I called the DEC and they told me I was nuts I told them fine I will kill it and bring it to them they said no they can't be killed and they hung up I knew rite there they were hiding something e

• puma1

Cougars are migrating east from the western US. Sightings have been confirmed in Michagan... one was killed on a Missouri or Indiana freeway. Why wouldn't they continue on NY, with its vast state parks and overpopulation of deer? I'm a believer.

• catskillhunter

Hello all. I am new to the forum and joined today so I could share my input. I have read about 3/4 of the posts today and still reading. I am an avid deer hunter, been hunting very hard and a lot for 20+ years now. I hunt deer mostly then coyotes, turkeys and small game on occassions. I spend every free minute from 10/1 till 1/30 in the woods in all different parts of NY, southern mostly like the Catskills, Long Island and west in Chenango County. I have seen a bobcat up close and personal, it actually stalked me so quietly I didn't even know. I was sitting on the ground and looking in every direction deer hunting, and within minutes, I turned around to look behind me again and it was literally 4-5 feet from me in a stalking position and it jumped and took off faster than I ever seen an animal run.

Once while hunting a huge hill towards dark I had something come down the hill in a cat like posture and walk but it was too far to tell what it was and get a good look at it's tail but it was big, bigger than the bobcat I saw. I'm not going to call it a mountain lion though cause it was too dark and too far to tell. I do have an uncle that swears he saw a mountain lion standing on the side of the Taconic State Parkway on his way home from the country one weekend. Do I believe him? Not sure LOL. I have also heard the farmer story shooting ones with collars but the version I heard numerous times was different (depends on where you live what version you get)

The version I heard was

• catskillhunter

Sorry, my message got cut off. Here's the rest.

The version I heard was that a farmer shot one in his field with a radio collar on and within minutes the DEC was at knocking at his door and confiscated it before he could show anybody. I have also attended DEC meetings for different hunting topics and the mountain lion debate has come up at every meeting and shot right down by DEC only to be told "Show us proof".

What I really wanted to say is my input and give everybody a link to a fisher video. My input on mountain lions is that I have not heard or seen any real proof myself, and I think given that most of NY is forest and mountains, especially the Adirondacks (I never been except Lake George for vacation lol) I think it�s possible that mountain lions could exist and I�d love to see proof. For years now my entire family and friends have been putting out trail cameras and have got some cool pictures and videos, coyotes, deer, bear, raccoons, foxes, hawks, crows, you name it, we have never gotten a bobcat or mountain lion. I just started really getting into coyote hunting last year so maybe this winter I will see something cool since I will be doing it more often now. Anyway, I love the forum and will continue reading now till I read them all. Also, below is a link to a youtube video, owned by me, that was taken on my trail camera of a large fisher around Feb of last year. Enjoy!

• catskillhunter

Ok, you want proof, here's proof. This is directly on the NYS DEC website. So tell me, if one can come through NY, why wouldn't there be others that have done the same and stayed after finding plenty of food and a nice cozy home?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/74534.html

• LionsandTigers

Hello. I have posted this places hoping to hear from others who saw what I did. In November I was driving from Syracuse to Binghamton, NY. It was around 10:30 am. Soon after I passed the Whitney Point exit, but well before Castle Creek, I saw a dead cat on the left shoulder of the road. This was a huge red cat. It was obviously dead but its face and body were intact. The face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and a domestic cat.-sweet and round. It had a very long tail that had fur that was straight (not fuzzy or curly) and the tail was rope-like. The legs were long. The color was very close to the red you would see on a domestic red cat-solid color not spotted and not merely tan with redish tint-clearly orange red. I would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it been standing. It was thin and the fur on it was not fuzzy but short. I was traveling at 65mph and by the time I had processed what I saw it was too late to easily pull over. I was late too. I called the police (I think Castle Creek but can't recall-maybe Broome county sheriff- not sure.) and the dispatcher showed interest. She said she would have someone check it out. I called her later that day. She said she was so curious about it that she went herself during her lunch hour but by then it was gone. She said someone probably took it for the fur. Then she started listing the kind of animal it could have been.

Now, I know nothing about wild animals but was surprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal I assumed existed only in places like africa (I've got the suburban NY-view of the world) or the zoo. I began to google the various animals she suggested to compare to what I saw. What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion. But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the pictures show. So, I think it was probably young-although the pictures of the young mountain lions suggest that they are not solid in color. Maybe there is an adolescent period when the body becomes solid color and the face is still round?

It was only after I looked at pictures of all kinds of animals that I started to read about Mountain lions in NY. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. (I add this because I have no vested interested in proving that they do or do not exist) I did not know they ever existed in NY. In fact, I would have been quite surprised to hear that they existed in this country at all..anywhere. So, when the dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions and panthers I was very surprised. I posted a description of what I had seen on Topix in the hope someone else had seen it and could let me know what it was. All I got was a few snide comments. Then I started to google more seriously because it began to bother me that I could not figure this out. At that point I found this post
    "05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1
    Crokit
    Posts: 158
    Mountain lion sighting
    First, let me state that I have all my faculties, excellent eye sight, and am not given to exaggerations.

Today, while traveling south on Interstate 81, between Syracuse and Binghamton, I saw a Mountain Lion / Cougar/Panther, pick your noun. !! 100% positive, absolutely no doubt. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. The only other thing it could have possibly been ( other than a live mountain lion/cougar/panther ) is a full body mount of a mountain lion/cougar/panther and someone pulling a prank. It was less than 100yds off the West side of the road, sitting on top of a section of rock/cliff that the highway had been cut through. It was sitting on it's haunches, leaning forward, ears forward, looking down onto/across the highway. It was about 30-40 feet above the highway. Just before the " Castle creek 1 mile " highway sign.
    When I screamed " holy F%^K, a mountain lion, scaring the S#$T out my buddy who was driving almost lost control at 75 mph.

An absolutely beautiful animal, well muscled, excellent specimen. Up until now, when ever I've seen reports of sightings, I've taken them with a grain of salt. No more!

Anyone know of any other recent reported sightings in that area?

Wldnerness: Can you put me in touch with any of the state Dec/Rangers/etc from that area?"

And my post on Topix was as follows:

"Justwondering
    East Syracuse, NY
    huge red fox, moutain lion or lynx on I-81 (S) near Castle Creek
    Nov 9, 2011
    Did any one see a dead huge cat like animal on the southbound side of I-81 about a mile closer to Syracuse then the exit for Castle Creek. It was on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge. If you did see it, or heard someone else talking about it, what was it? It looked like it had a body like a mountain lion, a long tail with long fur-not bushy and a face that was rounder like a lynx.Its color was pretty uniformly red-not mixed or strips or anything like that. I was moving too fast and, once I had processed what I saw, I had gone too far to see it. Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. If you did not see it but are familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? Any information would be appreciated.

What do you think? These two sightings are at identical places. I do not believe that they are both mirages. Also, if the one I saw was young, it would not have been as visible to a driver on I-81 6 months earlier. The one I saw was not so big that it would have been very visible to drivers if it were on the top of a hill. That means that the one I saw could have been the adolescent offspring of the one seen by the earlier poster. If so, maybe there is a den nearby. I know exactly where I saw the dead animal so a wildlife person or ranger could easily investigate. If the other poster saw the parent in May and I saw a dead adolescent one in November I bet that there is one that has set up a resident in the area.

• ferris

My mom lives in Rome new york. She was driving to work during the early morning 2 days ago and she absolutely most definitely saw a mountain lion. It leaped across the road right in front of her. She said she's never seen an animal move like that. Or a tail so long and distinct!!!
    Scares me to think how I used to ride my bike with my brother through those country roadS!! Yikes!!!

• sreich754

There is no doubt there are Mountain Lions in Otsego County. My wife and I saw one between Milford and Mt. Vision after the tornado cleared the hill of trees. We were driving in broad daylight and a juvenile ML crossed 5 feet in front of us. It had a long tail and was yellow. It was defiantly a young one because of the size.

• LionsandTigers

This is a follow up to my post above. Well I have not seen another mountain lion since the dead one I saw on i-81. I was just reading the start of this thread and read the one from Marathon. Well, Marathon is only 8.9 miles from Whitney Point, NY. The description sounds so similar to what I wrote and to what the other guy (see my post above) wrote (and said). Wish someone would explore the woods off I-17. I keep doing google searches looking for evidence that others saw what I did on the side of the road that day. This compare this post to mine a few posts above:
    " Posted by Mark (orthoboy2@hotmail.com) on Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 17:55
    99.9% sure I saw a mountain lion while hunting near Marathon NY on Sun. It was 40-50 pounds, catlike round face, round tail that swept up at the end, very smooth fur, and very muscular. I could see the rear quarter muscles from 100 yards away. My only question was it was the color of a yellow lab. Not the color I thought a mountain lion to be. When I first saw it sneaking along a field edge thats what I thought it was, a lab. When it got closer I realized it was not a dog. I checked for tracks but couldn't find anything other than deer tracks. " And no, John Mer, what I saw and what this guy and what the Crokit saw, all within 8 miles of each other over a span of 4 years was not a Coyote with a swollen face. Come on. No, lots of people don't mistake one for the other. The animal I saw had beautiful think very dense or heavy fur.

• LionsandTigers

Correction to post above . That should read I-81 not 17!

• FarmerBen

My uncle saw a mountain lion in East Chatham late at night, crossing the road in front of him, in 2010. He spent some time out West where they're more common and had seen many of them there; no mistaking it, from his point of view. He had the same experience talking with the DEC that others on this thread had - they denied they existed here.

I have also heard that mountain lions were released in the mountains around here by DEC, in very limited numbers, for deer population control. Can't say how true it is but I do hear that from a lot of folks.

Viva la revolution

@fuckingdickhead

Hello. I have posted these places hoping to
    hear from others who saw what I did. In November I was driving from Syracuse to
    Binghamton, NY. It was around 10:30 am. Soon after I passed the Whitney Point
    exit, but well before Castle Creek, I saw a dead cat on the left shoulder of
    the road. This was a huge red cat. It was obviously dead but its face and body
    were intact. The face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and a
    domestic cat. -Sweet and round. It had a very long tail that had fur that was
    straight (not fuzzy or curly) and the tail was rope-like. The legs were long.
    The color was very close to the red you would see on a domestic red cat-solid
    color not spotted and not merely tan with reddish tint-clearly orange red. I
    would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it been
    standing. It was thin and the fur on it was not fuzzy but short. I was
    traveling at 65mph and by the time I had processed what I saw it was too late
    to easily pull over. I was late too. I called the police (I think Castle Creek
    but can't recall-maybe Broome county sheriff- not sure.) and the dispatcher
    showed interest. She said she would have someone check it out. I called her
    later that day. She said she was so curious about it that she went herself during
    her lunch hour but by then it was gone. She said someone probably took it for
    the fur. Then she started listing the kind of animal it could have been.

Now, I know nothing about wild animals but was
    surprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal I
    assumed existed only in places like Africa (I've got the suburban NY-view of
    the world) or the zoo. I began to Google the various animals she suggested to
    compare to what I saw. What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion.
    But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the pictures
    show. So, I think it was probably young-although the pictures of the young mountain
    lions suggest that they are not solid in color. Maybe there is an adolescent
    period when the body becomes solid color and the face is still round?

Viva la revolution

@fuckingdickhead (cont)

It was only after I looked at pictures of all kinds of animals that I started to read about Mountain lions in NY. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. (I add this because I have no vested interested in proving that they do or do not exist) I did not know they ever existed in NY. In fact, I would have been quite surprised to hear that they existed in this country at all. Anywhere. So, when the dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions and panthers I was very surprised. I posted a description of what I had seen on Topic in the hope someone else had seen it and could let me know what it was. All I got was a few snide comments. Then I started to Google more seriously because it began to bother me that I could not figure this out. At that point I found this post
    "05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1
    Crochet
    Posts: 158
    Mountain lion sighting

Today, while traveling south on Interstate 81, between Syracuse and Binghamton, I saw a Mountain Lion / Cougar/Panther, pick your noun. !! 100% positive, absolutely no doubt. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. The only other thing it could have possibly been (other than a live mountain lion/cougar/panther) is a full body mount of a mountain lion/cougar/panther and someone pulling a prank. It was less than 100yds off the West side of the road, sitting on top of a section of rock/cliff that the highway had been cut through. It was sitting on its haunches, leaning forward, and ears forward, looking down onto/across the highway. It was about 30-40 feet above the highway. Just before the " Castle creek 1 mile " highway sign.

An absolutely beautiful animal, well-muscled, excellent specimen. Up until now, whenever I've seen reports of sightings, I've taken them with a grain of salt. No more!

Wilderness: Can you put me in touch with any of the state Dec/Rangers/etc. from that area?"

And my post on Topic was as follows:

"Just wondering
    East Syracuse, NY
    huge red fox, mountain lion or lynx on I-81 (S) near Castle Creek
    Nov 9, 2011
    Did any one see a dead huge cat like animal on the southbound side of I-81 about a mile closer to Syracuse then the exit for Castle Creek. It was on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge. If you did see it, or heard someone else talking about it, what was it? It looked like it had a body like a mountain lion, a long tail with long fur-not bushy and a face that was rounder like a lynx. Its color was pretty uniformly red-not mixed or strips or anything like that. I was moving too fast and, once I had processed what I saw, I had gone too far to see it. Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. If you did not see it but is familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? Any information would be appreciated.

• htuckey

I've heard reports of a FisherCat in the area, and several reports of them in the region. What you're describing sounds more like one of those than anything else. They're a vicious critter, and will clean out a henhouse in a night. Not afraid of dogs, coyotes, or much else, either. Years ago I saw what I believed then, and still do, to be a cougar, but nothing like that in years.

• tracywag

Definitely FisherCats here near Binghamton. We have watched them at my dad's in Conklin.

• Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)

A friend told me recently that a mountain lion was captured on a 'wildlife camera' in Kingston. They've also been seen in Saugerties. I've seen a wolverine in Saugerties & they are reputed to live in Shokan also.

• April Moyer

I was born an raised in Orleans County NY near Lake Ontario. My dad was an avid hunter an spent many days and nights in the woods back in the 70 an 80's. He coon hunted extensively. One night his dogs treed something but it defiantly wasn't a coon. He could tell by the way they were barking and growling. He heard a huge ruckus of the dogs barking suddenly the one female screamed in pain and came running to him but the male took off after something and didn't return home till the next morning. He had some injuries deep gnashing but nothing life threatening. My dad was also followed during the day while out squirrel hunting he could hear the crashing of sticks but only slight flashes of a brownish color fur, ,when he stopped walking it stopped,he was in a heavy thicket so couldn't get a clear look. Then one spring standing in his front yard he saw what he thought was a cougar crossing the hay field and then across the road. It left a foot print in the mud. He called DEC they came took plaster of it but refused to confirm it was a cougar. This was early 1983 or 84. My father was born an raised in WV so he's seen panthers/Cougars while growing up. I wish he was still with us to finally see others are now confirming what he had said for yrs.

• nck2lehigh

Just saying but some of you encountered Bigfoot. The screams like a woman being murdered the story above about being followed and the sound stopping when you do. I totally believe you have seen or heard Mountain Lions PA gas them too but some of the experiences are Bigfoot.

• doug249

I saw a black panther in the Catskills Mts. over 40 years ago while returning for a annual hunting trip. It bounded across the road, only touching the center of the road once.

Amazing and beautiful. On Cooley road next to Fir Brook, Long Pond/ Blue Hill area.

I will never forget what i saw and yes people dismiss it for proof. I talked to and old timer who grew up in that area and he confirmed his own sightings over the years. Believe! They Live!

• mdmastriano

Last week my neighbor was in my backyard trying to get some pesky messy geese to fly away when he spotted a large animal walking along the grass line next to the woods behind his house. Our properties back up to the Hamlin Marsh in the Town of Clay NY. He was stunned by the size of the animal as it was only 60 yards away from him. He noted the animal had a large rounded head with rounded ears and was bigger than a large dog. He also noted the catlike gate of the animal. The animal appeared focused on a trail of a possible prey. At 40 yards away from his position the animal turned into the woods onto a deer trail. When the animal turned into the woods he noticed the elongated body and an extremely long tail on the animal. The animal was camel colored. I would also like to add my observation of the disappearance of morning and evening sightings of multiple deer crossing my property along with the lack of signs of coyotes in the last month. I also took a picture of a large scat that was found on my neighbors back yard. It is probably coyote or possibly a mountain lion.

• spatsrosen

In 1969 I went to a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY. One day some of the counselors reported that a townie claimed that he had seen a mountain lion locally.

I don't think people have ever stopped claiming to see them. I don't think they've ever been completely gone and new ones migrate in to add to the population.

One day, even the government will admit they are here.

• doug249
    last year

I had a mountain lion cross the road while driving from hunting camp, location was on pole road, next to fir brook and blue hill near willowemac. New York. Cat crossed the road from the brook on right bounded across with one leap in the center and clearing the road into the left ditch. Amazing sight and never will forget this beautiful creature. My only sighting in 51 years of hunting. Beautiful thing, but surprising! lots of na sayers out there but they are here.

last year

I live in Rochester, N.H. Last year in 2018, I saw a (black)Mountain Lion in my back yard. I have homing pigeons, It was laying in the grass staring at the homing pigeons, it rose up from the grass as I walked towards it, when I relealized what it was, I walked backwards away from it, it slowly sank back it the grass( it was tall we had not cut it yet). I went into the house called my dad on the phone(and said Dad there is a monster in the backyard).

last year

Around July 10, 2019, my wife and I were driving west on I-90 near Syracuse. i thought I saw a deer in the ditch, but as I went by, the figure looked back at me and it was definitely a mountain lion. Beautiful animal!

• Brad Cooper
    last year

They may be (or have been) rare, but my friend and I 100 percent saw a black panther in Windsor, NY in the early eighties. I know other residents in the Windsor area who saw them and have video (I wish they'd share it online somewhere). It was not a large house cat, it was unmistakable.

• kitasei
    last year

I am in northern WESTCHESTER COUNTY and took this picture of a bobcat sauntering past my bedroom window at 11 am.

My Son use to come up to a Farm that my ex husband had ..him and his friends would do paint guns wars and ride their ATV on top of the hill behind our house...one evening he went out on the trails when he came back...he and his friend told of seeing a very large cougar as they rounded the corner, bolting off into the brush....that was the end of them coming to the farm to play...and being a hunter back then i noticed a 5-6

' around birch tree that was being shredded.by something with claws ..i just figured it was a bear, then i started watching and found large paw prints CAT prints..I went right home and got on the cougar rescue site....They were from a Cougar....Kirkwood, New York...WHICH IS 7 Miles from village of Windsor, off rt 17....and 2 miles to Binghamton,New York..