roselee_gw

Pipevine Swallowtail Sighting Today ...

Was I ever surprised to look out and see what looked like butterflies all over the large winter honeysuckle bush. I thought, "No, it must be some kind of small black birds that are migrating through." Whatever it was, birds or butterflies, I wanted a picture so I grabbed my camera and rushed out there.

Here's what I found ...

{{gwi:453840}}

{{gwi:453843}}

{{gwi:453841}}

{{gwi:453842}}

They look fresh, like they just recently eclosed, two males and a female, I think. Isn't this a little early, or shall we hope it is a sign for an early spring this year?

The winter honeysuckle is the only thing blooming for them to eat and they are certainly taking advantage of it. Two hours later they are still out there.

• rock_oak_deer

Those are beautiful butterflies and great pictures of a usually difficult subject.

I haven't seen them here yet, but will keep looking. Today while I was out I even checked the area where I found the pipevine last year hoping it will return again.

• pjtexgirl

I may find some room for Winter Honeysuckle. I have no flowers except hybrid pansy and violets. Those are very pretty pictures. You caught the butterflies' coloring just right.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have seen yellow sulfurs all winter this year. Where do they go when it gets so cold.

• linda_tx8

That's great, Roselee! I've seen sulfurs lately, but don't have anything blooming except for rosemary.

• carrie751

How exciting............could we actually have an early Spring this year? That would suit me just fine.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

There's only two Pipevine butterflies out there today along with a few bees. Yea for the bees! Last year I didn't see any until midsummer. Guess the third butterfly is checking out the woods, or whatever.

BTW, I buried some low branches of the Winter honeysuckle bush last year in hopes that they would root and I could pass starts plant around. Well, I just potted up 13 good size plants with lots of roots in 1 gal. and 2 gal pots so I'll have enough for just about anybody who attends the San Antonio Plant Swap, otherwise known as the SAPS (for Plants :-)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas

Those are so gorgeous! The winter honeysuckles look pretty. I wonder if I could convince DH to take a trip to San Antonio......

• bossyvossy

Planted That honeysuckle 2 yrs ago and so many people on DG discouraged me b/c rampant, unattractive, etc. That I yanked it out. Roselee, would like to know if you still love it and if butterflies still visit

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Yes, I still have it and love it. Maybe it's rampant in some localities, but it certainly has not been for me. It's a large, beautiful, evergreen, arching shrub, shiny leaves, very easy to grow and drought tolerant. The leaves are a little more sparse in a cold winter, but it never looses them all. It's not the kind of shrub you prune, but let grow natural. And then there are those wafting fragrant flowers in mid-winter. I don't see a lot of butterflies around it in winter, but there's always a few bees that visit.