A beautiful ivy has appeared next to my pond in Central Texas. It's a great ground cover, that seems to be tolerant of this harsh environment. This is an area in which I have had no success growing things in the past (including some rather expensive native Texas grass seed). I would like to propagate this further, and have even collected several ounces of seeds. However, before I proceed, I want to make sure I will not be creating more problems for myself by spreading an invasive species. Can someone help me to identify it?
The plant does not appear to be English ivy, as its leaves are much narrower. In addition, the flowers and seeds of this plant are nothing like English ivy. For the last few weeks this plant has been producing small, yellow flowers that lead to the production of a seed pod that looks exactly like a string bean. The pods darken and eventually burst open when dry.
Here are some additional photos:
http://s8.postimage.org/5g0r13nv9/ivy1.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/jnqfpr0k5/ivy2.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/7adliuavp/ivy3.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/o1yx1lb4l/ivy4.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/xcfmivb85/ivy5.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/shlxklcwl/ivy6.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/pc1buduad/ivy7.jpg
Any guesses?
H
flora_uk
Related Professionals
Tyler Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Fredericksburg Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Bloomington Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · South Bend Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Muskegon Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Niles Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Cleveland Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Manhattan Landscape Contractors · Spartanburg Landscape Contractors · Washington Architects & Building Designers · Lafayette Architects & Building Designers · Cincinnati Architects & Building Designers · McAlester Architects & Building Designers · Allentown Architects & Building Designers · Sanford Architects & Building Designers