Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Removed Ivy...how to keep it out

homersgarden
16 years ago

I have been in the process of removing IVY ugggh. While I would love to be more natural, we had blackberries too and ended up spraying a large section of it last fall with Crossbow. It did not completely kill it, but it did make it yellow and "wimpy". Today after three hours we were able to clear the section that had been sprayed with Crossbow. We determined that the areas that have not been sprayed take three times as long to remove so we will most likely spray those area to help this process. It is also begining to die on the trees that it had overtaken so maybe one day we will be ivy free. Anyway, here is my actual question. Now that we have removed it from these areas how do we keep it out? I know to pick up the seedlings, etc. However, I also have another weed that seems to be popping up this spring in place of the ivy. It is easy to remove. Since I want to plant this area with natives and make it a "manicured" woodland garden is there something you would all suggest we put down on the newly ivy free ground to keep weeds etc. from growing? We had leftover hay from our autumn decorations back here and I spread it over a hill this winter and so far nothing is growing here. This area is has very limited access and goes from flat to a fairly steep hillside. I want to lay something down to keep the weeds, etc. from growing so I can begin to plant next spring. I will most likely plant a few things this spring and summer, but not too much because I am still planning this area. Thanks and sorry so lengthy...love to talk garden talk!

Comments (2)

Sponsored