0

Not a bug, maybe a gall?

MarcPerr

The first time I saw one of these, I didn't have my glasses on and thought it was a bug. When I got back and zoomed in on it, I thought it was just debris that had fallen from a tree. But I keep seeing them on areas of leaves where it's not likely they would have landed. They are also stuck on each leaf so I'm sure an insect of some sort built them. They look like little twig nests. Does anyone know what they might be?

• jean001a

I don't have a clue.

But if I had a number of them on my leaves, I would investigate by deconstructing the twiggy pile.

If you do so, please let us know what you find. A picture would be nice, too. :)

• MarcPerr

jean001a, I will do that. Since I posted this, I discovered something called bagworms. If you Google Bagworm larva you will see several images that are quite similar.
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/310751/bgimage

This post was edited by MarcPerr on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 7:27

• jean001a

What do you mean "quite similar?"
    It's a match! The critter still uses twigs but not exact same sizes.

Still curious about who is home. Why don't you peek?

• larry_gene

Does remind me of a Lincoln Log set, the ones with the green cardboard roofs.

• woollybear69

A Bagworm moth lives inside the sticks.