Software
Houzz Logo Print
suzprince

Windows with bullnose corners instead of trim - yes or no?

14 years ago

Well our build is under way - the framers are on the interior walls now - yeah!!!! And we need to order the windows asap.

Now here's the problem ... we want soft lines in our house - with arches and bull nose corners. My husband also wants bull nose corners on the windows .. so no trim. We are building with 2x6 exterior walls.

Our builder/architect is not so keen - he says this will cost more as the labor is higher, but my husband says the jamb extensions will cost us $800 (Marvin Integrity windows).

Me: I want the window installation to be done right and I can't imagine the look.

So any thoughts one way or the other? On either the building aspects, or looks?

Does anyone have pictures of windows without trim - maybe that will help??

Thank you so much !!!!

Sue

Comments (9)

  • 14 years ago

    Not sure if this is what you mean. We are currently under construction, but I found these pictures that show our windows. We have no trim around the windows, just window sills. Our corners are all micro bullnose.

  • 14 years ago

    Well in our part of the country doing bull-nose etc. is very common and the cheaper way than trim. Trim is more expensive. It was one of the things we cut and I'll do it myself when I get around to it. I did this when remodeling my old house after replacing the windows and it really is fairly simple to do so wasn't worth paying extra for.

    Standard around here is no window trim.

  • 14 years ago

    I put in the sheetrock returns as well, bullnose as this is how the sheetrock was finished in the rest of the house. It was a little tricky getting the window sills in right to fit perfectly, but a little router work by the finish carpenter and voila.

    This is pretty untraditional around here (window trim is standard). My house is definitely modern, trim wouldn't work nearly as well. Even though it isn't standard, the sheetrockers didn't blink twice when I told them what I wanted, and ultimately it was a cost savings. It is a nice bonus when you "add" a feature and save money doing it.

    dekeoboe, that looks really good. I like the way the trim works with the window sill => definitely a clean and well thought-out installation here.

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks kcmo_ken, we are pretty happy with the way it turned out.

  • 14 years ago

    Here is a photo gallery for a local builder. There are numerous examples of bull nose windows in that gallery (I am not affiliated, I just had the link saved.) Bull nose window trim is standard here (read: less money.) Trim would be an upgrade.

    Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tqc-homes.com/tqc/photo-gallery

  • 10 years ago

    What window manufacturer are the windows?

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I've been to several show homes and model homes around the US in the past several years. Most areas of the country that I have visited are going with no window trim in new builds, similar to what dekeoboe posted (@dekeoboe, LOVE your windows). I can't imagine why having no trim would cost more. You might consider getting a couple estimates on your own from independent finish/trim carpenters and sheetrockers.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here is a picture of what I believe the OP was referring to as "bullnose" corners.

    This is rounding drywall/plaster. No wood trim. Though wood trim can also be done as a bullnose.

    dekoeboe's pics show wood sills, just no casings.

  • 4 years ago

    Another example