Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Basket/Santa Carving in progress...

party_music50
13 years ago

Hi all --

I'm sorry I haven't been able to hang out, look, and post, but I've had to mostly stay off the computer for MONTHS due to herniated discs in my neck and back. Actually, I've had to mostly do NOTHING for months, and it's really getting to me. :(

For those who remember the "artist's swap": I custom-wove two miniature baskets for my friend -- who was then going to carve two santas holding the baskets, one for each of us. He just sent me some photos of one of the works in progress, and I just HAD to show you! OMG, I can't believe how awesome these are going to be when they're finished!

I just wanted to show you all! (I think the santa is approx. 6" high):

PM (my real name is Audrey, BTW. lol!)

Comments (17)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Oh, Audrey. That's the most wonderful Santa, holding the most beautiful basket, that I have ever seen in my whole life. You are one lucky woman.

I can't believe it's "in progress". It looks finished to me. I guess he is making it more detailed, but I have to say, I'm in love with it just the way it is right now.

How did he ever get the basket handle in his hand????? Magic? Looks like all the fingers are closed around the handle.

So great that you two found each other and have your special talents that compliment each other.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I'm missing something...I don't see a picture or a link to see your pics! Jeanne S. (sorry for your health issues...that is bad news...even tho progress is slow, hope you are getting some relief)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

I also don't see a picture. I am not very good with the computer so I thought I just didn't know what to do. I was glad to see Jeanne S. wrote in. I also hope that you are feeling better. I am anxious to see your santa and basket. - Marylee

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Audrey, sounds like you have had a rough six months with your herniated discs. I'm not able to see any pictures in your post either. I think OA has a wonderful VISION.lol

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I think OA liked it so much, she STOLE it! LOL! Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes!

I don't know why OA can see the photo but nobody else can. Maybe you can see this?
    {{gwi:1402714}}

And, OA, I think he explained that it was magic. lol!

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Audrey - He is awesome. So glad to see him now. He is worth waiting for. Your basket is beautiful and looks just right with him. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Marylee said it perfectly. So happy you two have each other to combine your talent and share. Beautiful carving and basket.

Punk

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh my...he is OUTSTANDING...& your basket just is the PERFECT finish for him! OH MY! I am in awe! You both are so talented! TFS, party! Jeanne S.

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

That is just outstanding talent on both your parts. Who is doing the painting? No matter what season, show us when it is done, please.

Pat

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Awesome Santa and basket.
    I also couldn't see the picture til the second post. I'm sure he will look amazing when it is all finished as he is pretty darn cute now!!
    Yes, please show us the finished product.

TFS,
    Candy

• dreamgoddess
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous! I hope you'll come back and share the finished project with us.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Ditto on what all the others have said. I'm always in awe of wood carvers, what a great talent to have. I love your mini basket with this Old World Santa.

And I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems you've had.
    Did you have to get surgery? I'm sure you must be feeling stir crazy from all the things you couldn't do for so long.
    I hope you aren't in a lot of pain and are able to do more soon. I have 2 friends with herniated discs and the misery is unbelievable. Take care of yourself.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I'm glad Jeanne spoke up--I kept looking for something to click on and couldn't find anything! Very nice santa and I can't believe you made that tiny basket. Can't wait to see it when it's all painted. So sorry to hear you've had such a painful time of it--sure hope you are better soon.

Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

What an awesome job on the Santa. Your little basket fits him perfectly. You are Both so talented and lucky to be able to share in each other's talents. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.
    Hope you're on the mend soon and can get back to doing all the things you enjoy.

jane

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! What talent!

• party_music50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all and I'll be sure to pass on the kudos to Mike for his awesome carving talent!

Thanks for all the good health wishes too! I canceled my appt with neurosurgeon -- surgery will be my absolute LAST resort. Unfortunately, I've over-done everything this week... it seems like EVERYTHING went wrong... but as of this afternoon all of the crisis situations are handled or under control. lol!

I will be sure and post the photo when the carving is finished. We'll see which of the two basket/santas he gives me. :O)