Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Chrome or brushed nickel ?

eks6426
12 years ago

Thinking about faucets. I have always had chrome in the bathroom. It has spotted with water and gets a film on it. As I plan the new bathroom, I am considering the brushed nickel. Does it spot and get films more or less than chrome? Do the surfaces of certain manufacturers look better or are easier to maintain ..ie Kohler vs delta vs grohe etc.? Any major advantages between chrome vs brushed nickel?

Comments (10)

• rufinorox
    12 years ago

We went with brushed nickel. I prefer the look and cleaning of brushed nickel.

These are Kohler fixtures.

• try-it
    12 years ago

Hi, I had oil rubbed bronze and the finish wore off in about 3 years. I'm going to try the brushed nickel in my remodel that I'm doing now. Hope it will last better,. Good luck to you,

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

We have had Kohler Bancroft satin nickel in our reno-ed front bath for four years and it looks like new. All it needs is an occasional wipe with a damp cloth. If the shower fixture gets a bit of film I just gently rub on a small bit of Bar Keeper's Friend and it's fine. We are also putting it in our master bath.

Our satin nickel looks a lot like Rufinorox's brushed nickel. Both finishes have a warm glow that IMO is nicer than chrome.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. What about polished nickel? I kind of like the sparkle of chrome but also like the warmth of nickel. Thoughts?

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

I love chrome and went with Kohler in my shower and Hansgrohe for the sinks.

I will tell you that the chrome in the shower wipes clean with no spotting and the Hansgrohe does not wipe clean as easily.

For my second bathroom I'm doing Hansgrohe in the shower (I love the valve that they have...it's a 3-in-one and is already installed) and will have to deal with any cleaning issues. I'm not sure which faucet I will go with for that sink.

I think that no matter what the finish, or the manufacturer...they all clean up (and last) differently.

Having said all this...I love the look of the choices that I made for my MB.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I myself prefer chrome. It's never hyper trendy, but it never becomes embarrassingly dated fifteen years later, either, the way most other finishes eventually do.

I love the look of polished nickel, but it's often what is called a "living" finish, meaning it needs more upkeep than your grandmother's sterling does. Ask marcolo.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i LOVE our polished nickel!! and, ours requires NO additional upkeep than chrome does... and i have several different brands of PN in our bath!! a simple wipe down and it's beautiful!
    [i couldn't imagine buying any finish that required care similar to sterling---that would be crazy!!]

• compumom
    12 years ago

I had 3 baths to redo and used polished nickel or chrome in this phase of the remodel. I have satin nickel in the kitchen (done in 03). We preferred the crispness of polished metal. Nickel's our favorite (warmer tone), but if price is an object and this specific bathroom is a non important room, then I'd save the money and go for chrome (we used Kohler). My powder room is polished nickel from Restoration and the master is Rohl. All good choices. In our shower we have Newport Brass valves and Grohe shower heads. After showering, we wipe them down with our towels to avoid water spots.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

In my master bath I have polished nickel, kohler faucets. The PN really is lovely; it has a warmth that goes lovely with the crema marfil marble.

upstairs, I had existing white ceramic tile that I wanted to keep, and so I went with chrome because I felt that compimented the crisp white tile a little better.

Both are nice; it just depends on the look you are going for.

I've never worked with satin nicke.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

There's also brushed chrome or matte chrome to consider.
    Casey