silverspurtrust

garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)

SilverSpurTrust

We should all start a support group for Garrell house plan owner/builders. Lol They're beautiful, but complicated and expensive! We're going to be our own GC and are in the planning & budgeting stages (working on take off estimates, getting bids from subs, writing specs, etc.). We've had some sticker shock on the wood truss/posts/beams, but those really make the plan so we'll just have to see if there is somewhere else we can save some money (like leaving the basement unfinished to start). Always has to be some give and take. This is our third house we've literally built on our own together w/o killing each other...yet. ;)

We've purchased the Amicalola Cottage house plan from G&A and are waiting on to get the modifications back from them so we can really get rolling. We've been lucky enough to find and tour some similar G&A house plans, which has really helped us get a little better feel for the actual spaces.

We'd welcome any suggestions on ways to save money when building this house plan (still keeping the integrity) &/or a heads up for anything we should specifically watch out for on this house plan. We're all ears (or eyes in the this case)! :)

Thanks,

N

• Judy Weemes

What a difficult year! It’s difficult to get it all together after the build ,also . I am still trying to decide on area rugs for the office, piano room (dining room) and lodge room. I want to coordinate without being too Matchy. I look forward to seeing your pics,too.

• Vicky Shirey

We haven't completely moved out of our old place yet. We also didn't start packing until we got our c/o. Big Mistake! I will work on getting some pictures up soon. We are still working on those boxes and rugs, etc., too.

• ashbran613
    Love the color on your walls Judy ...whats it called?
  • Judy Weemes

Thank you!

The walls in the photos are Amazing Gray from Sherwin Williams.

• Judy Weemes

Lodge room

• Judy Weemes

Too bright outside to get a good ceiling photo

• Tina Jack

Judy Weemes - BEAUTIFUL, and LOVE the view of the lake. (So longing for our journey to be at that point - but it's just BEGINNING)! Thanks so much for sharing.

• Felecia W
    My husband and I are in the very early stages of picking out plans, but I keep coming back to the Amicalola and similar plans. I see there are a few people in here over the years that are in and around NC, SC and Va. If any of you are willing to let us come look and do a walkthrough I'd be very grateful. feleciawebb83@gmail.com
  • Sepp Perser

We are building a modified Amicalola with expanded custom 2nd floor, on Lake Douglas, between Dandridge and Newport, TN (80 miles from Asheville, NC). All the framing, electricals, HVAC, roofing and windows are in. You are fee to go see it if you wish. purserjl@verizon.net

• Sepp Perser

My first post has generated some interest, so I am giving a broader explanation here.

The
    Amicalola plans are available from Garrell with an optional expanded walkout basement
    area that is similar to the Tranquility House. We bought those plans, but worked
    with our custom builder to move most of the basement up to the 2nd floor, so the
    ground floor is basically the same as the plans and the 2nd floor is a graft of
    the original upstairs suite, now with the bar and billiard room adjoining. The only space we did not use for the 2nd floor was the area above the lodge room (ceiling too high) and above the master bedroom (although there is still a lot of attic space there). We also turned
    the third downstairs bedroom into a workshop that connects to the garage, and
    expanded the second bedroom by 20 ft^2.

We grafted a walkout upper deck to the exterior portion of the upstairs bar.
    We had to forgo the raised ceiling in the downstairs breakfast nook to
    accommodate the upstairs bar. We created another room above the keeping room on
    the second floor as an exercise room with opening skylights.

We made the faux
    window and dormer above the mud room in the front to be fully functional, which
    became a small sitting area at the end of the upstairs billiard room, and made
    the faux window above the dining room/entrance foyer functional to provide light
    for a 2nd floor craft room that looks down onto the lodge room from above. The windows were fabricated by Moss Supply in Charlotte, NC at 1/3 the costs quoted by Anderson and Pella. Our builder is fabricating the trusses in
    the lodge room and foyer himself at great cost savings for us.

We made small changes to the interior walls of the dining room area and added bow windows. We moved the lodge room fireplace to the opposite wall (check out the chimney location in the pic) and put in a see through fireplace common with the kitchen. the refrigerator was moved to the butler's pantry area. I will send pictures of these areas soon.

Needless
    to say, we have a very flexible and innovative builder! And these changes have met code requirements.

• Tina Jack

Wow Sepp Perser, some interesting and cool changes. You're very blessed to have an awesome builder! Sadly, I still don't have finalized plans.....

• barbaraandcarlton

Hello all!

My husband and I plan to build a version of the amicalola/nantahala in the mountains of Colorado. We live in St. Louis right now. You have all been a wealth of information, and the pictures help so much! We are still in the floor plan customization stage. Is there anyone out there who has built a version of this within 300 miles or so of St. Louis? We would so love to be able to walk through one. Thank you so much! My email is blsteets@hotmail.com. I posted on the other thread as well, but this one seems more active.

• ynottina

Sepp Perser, any updated pictures for us? I'm sure it's beautiful.

• Rachel Taylor

@tigerjackson

I saw that you live in Tiger! We live in Clarkesville, Ga and have been looking at a smaller version of this plan. What is the square footage of your house? ~Rachel

• Sepp Perser

Very soon!

• ashbran613
    We finally finished!(
  • Felecia W
    ashbran I love it! i cant wait to get a plan finalized and start building. i don't want to read back through 500 comments. where are y'all located? We would like to walk through one or two at some point and may plan a trip this fall to some of the ones in our or neighboring states. where are y'all located?
  • Felecia W
    sorry i asked twice I'm running on an hour of sleep
  • barbaraandcarlton

Ashbran, beautiful!!! Any more pics of the rest of your home? Inside? Love the stone!

• ashbran613
    Thank you! We are located in Ga. i have more pics to take and upload ...we are still in the moving in a decorating process.
  • ashbran613
    Taken right before we moved in
  • ynottina

WOW! Just breathtaking! Congrats!!

• Felecia W
    Ash- oh my! that is gorgeous and exactly the look we're thinking of! did you make changes to the plans anywhere? i will actually be traveling in ga next month. would you mind emailing me if you would allow a walk through and to discuss a few things about the process? i will be there during the weekend of the 9th-11th. my email is Feleciawebb83@gmail.com
    totally understand if you don't, but would be really appreciative if you'd consider it.
  • ashbran613
    ynottina ... thank you! Felicia ... yes we made changes... we eliminated some of the rooms on the kitchen side by the garage and expanded the room sizes by a few feet here and there. This was not out first house by any means but it has been our most challenging hands down. We are supposed to be in Tn that weekend for a wedding but if anything changes I will let you know. There are actually several versions of this home within 60 miles of us (we found that out during the process) although I would say some were modified in megative ways. The orignal is in N Ga. I will upload more pics and feel free to ask any questions.
  • Vicky Shirey

We have been in our house for a while and I have been remiss in sharing photos. I learned so much from those who shared, so I am posting some now. Our house is a custom version of the Tranquility. We removed the wall between the kitchen and Lodge room, for a more open concept. Stairs are behind the kitchen, instead of at the front door.

• Marchema

After years of planning, we are building our home in North Georgia. I liked Garrell's Nantahala plan but wanted the front door in line with the French door in the great room, the kitchen and great room open plan. Luck for me, my builder was able to make the changes and it did not cost that much. I cannot wait to move in, still some time to go.

• Sarah Terry

Hi there! love reading through this feed! We are a bit overwhelmed, but I think we are looking at building the Lakeview Cottage by Garrell and Associates. Has anyone build the story and a half version? (It’s similar to the Nantahala, Amicalola, Tranquility, etc). We are trying to keep it as budget friendly as possible-and just looking to pick anyones brain that’s built this version or something similar. Seems everything I see with an upstairs is 4000 sf or more. and advice, pics, feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, I’m new to Houzz and don’t know how to work it...feel free to email me sarahdemitroff@gmail.com

All if your homes are beautiful!!! I’m just having a difficult time deciphering which pic belongs to which plan since this is such a long thread :)

• Sarah Terry

• Donald Hess

A lot of these homes are customized to the home owners taste. That is the point of a customized boutique craftsman home. Expect about $150-$200/sq ft.

That said there are much smaller versions of this home which are similar but aimed at empty nesters with one or two bedrooms.

I suggest you visit Garrell Associates official webpage and view all their plans. They have many varieties.

• Tina Jack

After MANY delays, weeks of frustration and LOADS of prayer, we are FINALLY underway with our Tiger Creek version of the Nantahala/Amicalola etc, in Jasper, TN.

• Vicky Shirey

@Tina Jack - So happy for you! Hoping things run smoother from here on out!

• Sandy WEhmer

Hi Tina - Sandy Ehmer here. River Bluffs #12 & 13. Haven't built yet but looking at a couple Garrells. May I contact you? We met briefly - you sang God Bless America (beautifully!) at a Jasper Highlands event. Sandy Ehmer

• ynottina

Absolutely! I'm here at JH now, probably until Thurs. My email is ynottina@yahoo.com.

• Tina Jack

Sandy Ehmer, going back up to JH for the May event again this year. Will you by chance be there too? Sorry we never were able to connect last year.

• Gwen Gill

Looking for someone that has built the amicalola plan, in Nashville tn or around it. We would love to come a see it ,we are getting ready to build it and was wanting to see it in person first and talk to someone that has one and what would you change if anything.

• Jenny Hester

We built this home 3 years ago in Bowling Green, KY. We're about an hour up I-65. Around 3500 sq ft. Bonus upstairs with bathroom, no basement. You may be able to search posts from me on this site and see a few pics or if you want to send me your email I'd be happy to send you some pics to see if it's something you would like to come see.

• Gwen Gill

Thanks Jenny, We are still trying to get someone to talk to us sent three message but no one will reposed. I will search for pic. Let you know.

• ynottina

Gwen, we are mid build of a spinoff titled Tiger Creek. We are about 90 minutes south of you in Jasper, TN off I-24. I'll be in the area (I live in MD) the end of next week into Jun if you'd like to meet up and take a look. ynottina@aol.com is my email

• Sepp Perser

I promised to send some picture many months ago. Well we finally kicked the builder out, so here are some (we are still moving in).

• ynottina

It's beautiful Sepp, looking forward to seeing more pics! Thanks for sharing.

• Sepp Perser

I would send more, but the Houzz server won't let me upload any more.

• ljbatey

Gwen Gill, we built a version of the Amicacola about a year and a half ago in the Memphis, Tn. You are welcome to come see it and the changes we made. My email is ljbatey@att.net our house is about 5,000 sq ft.

Don’t know why the whole picture isn’t showing. Will try again

• ljbatey

Here are some other pictures

• Ross Thompson

Hey everyone! We are looking to build the Amicalola cottage 12068 plan. Does anyone have that layout? Any advice or pictures? Everyone's pictures of their homes I have seen are gorgeous!

• fordsmommy

We are in our late 50's so we made it as handicapped accessible in case one of us need a wheelchair in the future. We moved the refrigerator to the side and took the wall between kitchen and living area down. Makes the room so much easier, especially with parties and dinners. Also we merged the laundry and pantry together, placing the washer dryer side by side in a cabinet with a butcher block folding on top. They whole pantry is bigger that way and you have the laundry door from the kitchen and the pantry door from the mudroom as a great pass through. We put all outlets in baseboard which is great for easy access. Moved the tub to a wall since the plan called for it to take up a lot of space in the middle of the bath. Gas fireplaces are wayyy cheaper than fire burning. I have so many tips (experience) so anything else just ask. fordsmommy@gmail.com

• Angela Lewis

My husband and I plan to build The Amicalola Cottage Plan #05168. We LOVE this Plan and would like to see a built version. We live in Kentucky and are willing to travel. If any one is willing to give us a walk through or any advice during the building process we would really appreciated it. Please email us at alewis0422@gmail.com Thank you.