Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

Neighbor's Garbage Stinks!

Haname
12 years ago

This is really becoming a problem. My neighbor's back gate is close to my front door, and as the week progresses, the stench of his garbage is noticeable on my porch. That's where I have guests come over, and leave. This isn't pleasant for them or us to experience whenever we want to go in or out. Is there something I can do? My neighbor doesn't seem interested in preventing the odors. I did speak to the HOA and they said I could register a complaint but I'm not sure I want it to go there.

Comments (5)

• jannie
    12 years ago

If you're not friendly with him, I'd suggest a pleasantly worded note asking them to move their cans for a few weeks. Explain the smell interferes with having guests on your porch. Don't threaten or say anything about filing a complaint. That's what I would do.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Is it in an enclosed container with a lid and the lid closed? Might it be as simple as the lid being closed? I'm guessing that by his back gate is the most convenient or out of the way place for him/her to put it.

If not in a container, I'd address the issue with the neighbor and ask that they get a container with a lid and use it...maybe go halves on it?

• papanda
    12 years ago

I have a similar problem. My neighbor has a huge compost pile close to my property line. He and two other neighbors dump all of their yard debris on it. It is about 30' wide and 2' high. The bugs and the stench prevent me from sitting on the patio and on warm days, I can't even open the windows B/C of the odor. What can I do?

• HU-364390525
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am suffering from the same issue but in a way ... when I moved into my house, my neighbor's trash bins were far behind their house like every1 else..n just after less than a month, they moved the bins on their property but sharply on the edge of my lawn next to my room window which I could not open for more than months now. The neighbors are troublemakers and officially crazy. No1 deals w them. Plz tell me wt to do?

• Kimberly Aguilar
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We live in an apartment and neighbors pile up cans and who knows what else. They own a recycling can as you can see on the right and yet they pile bags of smelly cans and who knows what else on the left side. I spoke to my bf on why they haven't thrown away the mattress yet since that's the only thing he owns that's outside our room window. He said he can throw it away because he knows that the neighbors will slowly pile stuff up "again". Personally, I am tired of their mess and they seem a little on the messy side of living. I'm tempted to hint to the homeless people to steal their shit on the low-key, but I'm better than that. Talking won't work, because they won't care. My boyfriend isn't fully stressed about it as me, but it's annoying to see.

List of things I see that's pilled up,

-cans!(smelly af)

-old furniture

-baskets(laundry, trash with a bag inside)

-old toy (looks broken) even when they don't have kids

-more bags with stuff inside it.

It is raining and the buckets and cans smell way worse when they fill up with water. The last time it rain I moved all the nasty cans filled with water more to the left side where our kitchen window is because I couldn't sleep with the ugly oder which was two of them. Keep in mind I have bad asthma and I keep the window open for "fresh" air. The landlord has no issue with it because he doesn't deal with the smell and he doesn't care about us leaving things outside the apartment patio/trash location for everyone. The trash and recycling are suppost to be placed on the far left side outside of this small pathway which I recorded. I don't even know why they moved the recycling shit there instead of near where all the trash and recycling is suppost to be placed at.

Some bull.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations