Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annclark_gw

GE Cafe vs Samsung Refrigerator

annclark
14 years ago

My husband and I need to purchase a new refrigerator this week.

We are considering the GE Cafe and the Samsung. Does anyone have an opinion on either or both of these? Thank you.

Comments (11)

• valleyappliance
    14 years ago

Annclark,
    Which style are you looking at (french door or side by side)? Which models?

Look forward to helping you.

Valley Appliance

Here is a link that might be useful: Valley Appliance

• annclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are debating on either counter depth or standard size. The counter depth would look nicer, but we are worried about capacity being an issue.

Models we are considering are:
    GE Cafe counter depth - CSCP5UGXSS
    CE Cafe standard depth - CSHS5UGXSS
    Samsung counter depth - RSG257AARS
    Samsung regular depth - RF267AASH (I think)

Pros and Cons:
    The Cafe has stainless steel sides, so if we go with standard depth, the stainless sides would look better than the Samsung's gray plastic-like sides.
    If we go with counter depth, the side colors/materials aren't an issue.
    A plus for Samsung: the hinges are hidden, giving more of a build\t-in appearance (Cafe's hinges show.)
    The Samsung is less expensive than the Cafe.
    The Cafe's handles are a closer match to our Electrolux Icon appliances. I really don't like the Samsung's handles.

• geeny
    14 years ago

I already mentioned this in another thread; GE Cafe is loud. At least twice a day, it goes through a cycle that lasts about 1 hour and it makes a loud humming sound (I have the counter depth model).

• annclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Geeny: How long have you had your GE Cafe? Is it still under warranty? Can they fix it?

Ann

• wildboar
    14 years ago

I would save a bunch over either of those and go with the Fisher and Paykel RX256DT4X1. Or, step up to their french door model RF201ADUX.

• geeny
    14 years ago

We bought it 3 months ago, so it is under warranty. But I don't think the noise is because there is something wrong with it. It just works really loud through that cycle. I had considered F&P which was cheaper, but I read reviews on some other sites of people complaining that it was making a loud noise that I think is exactly what GE Cafe is making. (Also, F&P CD model is not deep enough which was an issue for me because we didn't have room to have cabinets built in around it). I can't find the thread now to doublecheck whether what I remember is accurate or not, but I think I read recently that Jenn-Air fridges have variable speed compressors and as a result they are quiet. You might want to check this out and see how Samsung compares.

• annclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We hadn't considered the Fisher & Paykel or the Jenn-Air counter-depth friges because they just don't have the cubic-foot capacity that we are looking for.
    Samsung CD has 24.1 cubic feet;
    GE Cafe CD has 24.6 cubic feet.
    They both are side-by-sides.

ann

• hilferty77
    14 years ago

If it were me, the new Jenn-Air JCD2591WES would be a lock:
    http://www.jennair.com/catalog/product.jsp?parentCat=10&cat=70&prod=1880

It's the same as the KitchenAid KSCS25 series with Jenn-Air handles... They have been my number one selling cabinet depth side by side refrigerator for the last 10 years. I believe you can purchase stainless side panels for either unit, although the KitchenAid version offers a fully wrapped stainless option as well [model KSCS25FVMK]. Jenn-Air is doing away with that sleek pole handle design in a few months so get it while you can...

• wildboar
    14 years ago

The F&P is 25.6 cubic feet. You are looking for less space?

• hilferty77
    14 years ago

The F&P looks nice but it's really just an inexpensive Amana 26 Cu Ft Side By Side... It's a decent unit but nowhere near as nice as the KitchenAid/Jenn-Air fridges I've recommended... At least on the inside anyhow...

• annclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. We had to bite the bullet and make a decision. And we decided to go with the GE Cafe counter-depth fridge, CSCP5UGXSS.
    Our cabinet maker needed the fridge specs before they could start building, and we needed to get the project going.
    I hope we made the right decision, but the project won't be done until August, so I guess we won't know until then.
    Thanks again for all your input!
    Ann