Software
Houzz Logo Print
computerklutz

Are GE Monogram Refrigerators dependable?

15 years ago

I'm considering a 36" wide, 72" tall GE Monogram side by side. I'm having trouble finding any opinions on it. Does anyone have any info on Monograms in general or should I just go with a different brand. I found several brand new ones that are overstock at Texas Appliance for about $1700 which is a fantastic price for a built in, but wondering if maybe I should reconsider. Opinions?

Thanks

Comments (9)

  • 15 years ago

    I have a 42" built-in GE Monogram side by side and love it. I haven't had anything to complain about so far and been using it since July.

    I do like the freezer door storage as well as the freezer itself. I also like the shelving in the fridge - lots of space and I like the glass shelving instead of plastic. Again, also plenty of door storage. I don't know why or how my family tends to collect so many open condiment bottles of this or that.

    The storage doors are very neatly organized, and the vegetable keeper in particular is nice with the humidity able to be regulated.

  • 15 years ago

    I have had a 42" built-in GE Monogram side by side for over three years and am extremely satisfied with it. It is quiet, keeps temperatures constant and has never required a service call. At the price you mentioned I would run and pick one up!

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks! the price is really great. They just opened this location (it is the company's third) and I saw them taking about 6 of them out of the box, brand new, no scratches. It is kind of a grand opening special. They also have some nice SubZero but my kitchen is tooo small!

  • 15 years ago

    We just moved and the house has GE Monogram appliances. Unknown to us, even after inspection, the compressor on the fridge was out. Temps way upwards os 47-48 degrees. I called the warranty folks ( fridge is 6 years old, under warranty for this) and, since they don't have a tech here, I would have to wait for THREE months or more for one from Dallas. Wow. And she told me immediately that it was NOT under warranty!!! My problem is with the warranty dept. They will NOT cover this in any way...I have zero use for them. They are not standing by this warranty and it has cost me over $2000 so far. I'm sure in principle they are fine, but I won't ever deal with them again...even the paperwork says a compressor is covered. For more years than this; builder said so, too.

  • 15 years ago

    I have the 48" side by side GE Monogram built in. I've had it about a year now. I have really liked everything, except the icemaker. We decided not to get the through the door ice/water dispenser. The problem is there is not any simple way to remove the ice bin for dumping ice. And also, the bin is fairly deep and so it's not the easiest to reach over the lip and down into the bin to get ice as the opening is rather small. The other problem is that the ice spills over the sides of the bin in the back and so I end up with several ice cubes on various freezer shelves, depending on where they fall through to.

    I suspect that not many people opt for this ice maker set up (not through the door) and the company probably just sticks the same ice maker in for both models. I don't know, but these things make it highly annoying!

  • 15 years ago

    Regarding the ice bin - As I posted earlier, mine is a 3 year old 42" with ice and water through the door so I don't know if the icemaker is the same. However, the icemaker/bin pulls straight out and then can easily be dumped into a sink. Just as easy as the old Whirlpool side by side it replaced.

  • 15 years ago

    Nunmobile, that is good news. I don't know why ours seems so unwieldly. Does the ice spill over the back of your icemaker, like ours seems to do?

  • 15 years ago

    No, The only time a cube or two will spill over the back is if I'm emptying a full bin of ice due to age. Yours could be slightly different since it does not expel ice through the door.

  • 5 years ago

    DO NOT BUY MONOGRAM, their refrigerators are horrible, waste of money, my fridge has been freezing up every 2 weeks since I bought it, $500 + parts every time a service comes out, just not worth the hassle!