Software
Houzz Logo Print
nchome143

Metal roof color for new "old" farmhouse

11 years ago

Hi, all. Trying to decide between Slate Gray, Silver, or Pre-Weathered Galvalume for roof color on a new house that is trying to look like an old farmhouse. The exterior is smooth Hardiplank - all white (even windows and trim). We're concerned that the Silver and pre-weathered galvalume will look too "shiny." Any thoughts on these colors - or ideas for other colors? (We are using CooLR by Sheffield Metals.)

Comments (28)

  • 11 years ago

    Our house is white Hardie with Pre-weathered Galvalume roof -- I think it is Sheffield Metals too but would need to check. It is not shiny, we do have a lot of trees but right now it is covered with a fine layer of dust since it hasn't started raining here :-)

    Do you have the large metal color chips? Your builder should be able to get those for you, or maybe direct you to some homes with installed products where you could do a drive by?

    Good luck.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks so much for your post! Great suggestion on obtaining the metal color chips. Would you be willing to send a pic of your house? (I'm not sure how you do this through the back channels, but I think there is a way.)

  • 11 years ago

    I will have to look for instructions to post a photo from a mobile device later, then I can load up a photo showing siding and roof.

  • 11 years ago

    Dark green? Very authentic, at least around here :)

  • 11 years ago

    Ok let's see if this works

  • 11 years ago

    Here's galvalume.

  • 11 years ago

    Oaktown - that is a beautiful roof. And the photo is really helpful. You're right - it's not shiny. Just has a nice glow.

    Jdez - is your pic the pre-weathered galvalume or one of the other metallic colors? I can't quite tell.

    Thanks to you both for posting pics. Two things that we will also have to consider are (1) is the pre weathered galvalume too dark and (2) can we afford it (I know it's more but I don't know how much more.)

    Also, thanks to lavender_lass for the suggestion of green. We considered green but decided we didn't want the roof to fight with the other greens on the site. (It's surrounded by trees.)

    The scary thing is that we have a lot of roof (14/12 pitch) so we will really know it if we make a bad decision. ðÂÂÂ

  • 11 years ago

    The paperwork just says it is galvalume. It is just shiny silver color. I've never found it to be too shiny.

  • 11 years ago

    DH and I were just discussing what color of metal roof we"d like for the farmhouse we're planning to build. He likes the lighter gray and thought it might be better to deflect heat (I'm not sure?).

    I like the lighter gray too but love even more the contrast of white siding against a darker roof (with a dark green or black front door, of course!), so I'm leaning towards the slate color.

  • 11 years ago

    We have regular Galvalume. It isn't really shiny, but it is pretty bright. It's surprising how much the 'color' changes depending upon the weather and lighting conditions. Sometimes it is silver, sometimes blue, sometimes a warmer pewter color.

    I was surprised how much heat our roof reflects. I was looking into a solar water heating system that mounts right under metal roofing, but ours doesn't get hot enough. Dark colors are going to be a lot hotter, of course, but I also believe a dull weathered finish will get pretty hot, too.

    I used 5V tin, which is what all of the older houses here in SC have. I wish now I had looked into the weathered finish- our supplier didn't offer it, and I didn't know that there was such a thing. Galvalume won't weather like the old tin roofs did.

  • 11 years ago

    Lighter metals deflect heat better.

    That may be an issue

  • 11 years ago

    Most of the metal roofs in my area of NC seem to be either a sort of terra cotta red or medium green. I think I like the reddish color better than the green from what I have seen here.

    The gray/silver posted by Oaktown is very nice also.

    Teresa

  • 11 years ago

    We're in the process of building our farmhouse and went with a combo of shingles on our 2 story and tin roof for a front porch and a shed roof out back. We choose the a standard galvanized over galvalume because the galvanized will dull and start to weather over time (similar to an old barn), the galvalume on the other hand will retain that shine. Some complain that over time the galvanized will eventually rust and fail before the galvalum and it will, but it will be 25-30 years before that point. We love the roof and like a similar thread the sun shining of it gives it an array of colors and effects.

  • 11 years ago

    NChome- we went with SIlver, and it is pretty, but it isn't as bright as we thought it would be. A couple of factors going into that, though. 1- the Hardie isn't painted yet 2- the trees on our wooded light seem to make is cast the slightest greenish cast. I'm not UNhappy with our choice, just probably would go galvlume if making the decision again.

  • 11 years ago

    nchome143, try to take samples to your site and see what you think looks best. I checked and we ended up using Pacific Metals rather than Sheffield so our "Pre-Weathered Galvalume" could very well be a different color.

    Lazygardens has a good point about reflectance. In addition to the aesthetics maybe you already have considered what function you want to get out of your roof. We did not want a high reflectance because we are in a drought area and do not want to take a chance of "frying" our trees -- perhaps a silly worry but we're happy with our color choice. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago

    I vote for a silver color. Maybe look on houzz at different metal roof colors on white houses?
    We redid out 1897 farm house with hardi with my parents, and we all decided on silver, until my dad changed his mind at order time and ordered blue. It works but I think silver would have been better

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks to all for your input and pics. Some beautiful homes and very helpful information. Went to the house site today with color card (no metal samples yet). Leaning strongly toward slate gray, with the hope that it will "disappear" among the tree trunks. I'm going to try to load a pic of the house. The slate gray would be about a shade darker than the roof sheathing. Any additional thoughts would be welcome!

  • 11 years ago

    I think slate gray would look perfect.

  • 11 years ago

    Jdez, thanks so much for your input!

    It's really great to see such a nice variety of "farmhouses" out there.

    Zookeeper93, as you can tell by all of our sharp gables, your house is the one we are hoping our house grows up to be. ðÂÂÂ

  • 11 years ago

    We want with light gray and have been very happy.

  • 11 years ago

    nchome, I have the silver galvalume and love it for our cedar and black home, but for a white house I would recommend the gorgeous preaged galvalume like Oaktown has. I think that my roof would look too "floaty" or something on a white house.

    This post was edited by Kiwigem on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 20:00

  • 11 years ago

    The light gray roof does look nice... and probably more energy efficient. Love the pre weathered too. Still working on our decision... thanks again for great input.

  • 10 years ago

    oaktown, would you message me your house photo or post it again? For some reason, I can't see it on here. I am in the same dilemma as nchome143. We are building a white farmhouse and I have no idea which silver or grey color to use. I hope to have white windows, weathered brick base, and possible wood front porch beams but will go with white ones if needed. I really need some help in deciding this roof color. I dont want it so bright and light, that is doesnt show up. I really just want a silver that is a shade or two darker than my white house.. I suspect the reason so many of us struggle with choosing the correct grey/silver is because pics can be deceptive since these metal roofs seem to change color with the sunset. I still would appreciate any photos, updates, ect ect thank you

  • 8 years ago

    My husband has recently started talking about building a “new old house” instead of buying. We’re in the Syracuse area, and given your experience with building in our state, I wonder if I might email some questions to you? Also, do you have photos of your build? It sounds similar to what Greg (the hubb) has in mind.

  • 8 years ago
    Here is our farmhouse style house with galvalume color metal porch roof.

    Kinda hard to see but maybe it helps
  • 5 years ago

    I know this is a very old post but can anyone tell me what color asphalt shingles you used to go with your pre weathered galvalume? We are doing the galvalume on the front and side porches but asphalt on the main roof. What color goes best - a black or more of a charcoal or even lighter.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Black!


    Note the wise comments of the first responder...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths