Software
Houzz Logo Print
montysc

Contemporary Garage Door on a Budget

Hi - we are getting to the last stages of our home build and need some help getting a nice looking garage door for a decent price.

We like the look of some of the new clear view garage doors like the Wayne Dalton 8800, 8850 and the Cloypay Avante shown below. We don't like the cost ($5k plus).

{{gwi:1507131}}

We would like to stay under $2000 for a single 16'x8' door.

My first idea is to create a similar look by using the top window sections of a steel door for all of the door panels, but I haven't seen this done.

We have also seen a design with a cedar look door with acrylic panels - but don't know the source or cost.

We don't need clear glass, just want a more modern look with as much light as possible...Acrylic would be fine. We also don't want the stamped wood look, but would prefer smooth. We can paint it the same color as our windows to match.

Does anyone here have any ideas? We would appreciate any feedback!

Below is a shot of the front of our house:

Comments (26)

  • 14 years ago

    Please let me know if you find anything. We will soon be looking for the same style, but we need an 18' x 8'. I know there are a number of companies that make this style, but we have only gotten pricing on the Clopay Avante, which is in line with what you are getting. We don't want to put a traditional style door on our contemporary style house, but boy the upcharge is steep. We don't even need an insulated door as our garage is attached to the house via a breezeway.

  • 14 years ago

    We used Haas doors (carriage style) on our new build. The also have a contemporary style. Don't have any idea of the cost, but it's another place to check.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Haas garage doors

  • 14 years ago

    Haas doesn't appear to have much of a west coast presence. Closest dealer to us is in Chico...200 miles away.

    They look like nice doors. Wonder how much they cost...

  • 14 years ago

    hi montel, did you price out amarr? they have a line called vista on their website that looks very similar to your pic. i know our local costco sells the amarr brand. we got a very good deal on an amarr door along with opener and installation from our costco a few years back. i will probably go this route again for our current build. for the carriage style line, they are around $2k for a double garage door. not sure what they would charge for the more modern style though..

    Here is a link that might be useful: amarr vista doors

  • 14 years ago

    The Amarr doors look nice - I have a call into a local dealer to find out some pricing. Doesn't look like Costco offers the Vista model, at least according to the web. Thanks for the tip!

  • 14 years ago

    So far it looks like the Amarr Vista door might get us the closest.

    A aluminum paneled door with glass on the top would be $3200 installed. Less than the $5k units, which might fit our budget if we stretch it. I am waiting for more bids from my GC to see if we can get it at an even lower cost or even keep it close to $3200 with all glass.

    The door would have anodized aluminum panels on all but the top row which would be glass.

  • 14 years ago

    We got a quote of $3550 with all glass panels 16'x8' - So aprox $4K with the motor installed - which even thought it is twice our budget, it is still $1500 less than any other options we liked. So we are ordering this week.

    Thanks for the help - wanted to post our findings so that others looking would have some numbers to go by.

  • 11 years ago

    Just curious if the $3550 was for the Amarr Vista door you spoke of previously? How has the door done for you so far?

  • 11 years ago

    How hot does your garage get? We have west facing garages and the sun will hit the garage doors for a couple hours in the afternoon.

  • 11 years ago

    It does get fairly warm in the garage on our hot days - probably a few more degrees than a insulated door would. Glass is probably close to a standard paneled ( non insulated) steel door.


    Ours is east facing, so it makes it comfortable to work in the shop in the winter.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for the information and follow up on how your garage doors are doing. We are at the end of a renovation and need to replace old garage doors with contemporary (aluminum and glass) ones. I've just started sourcing garage doors, and I have found the following: Clopay (Avante), Amarr (Vista), and Northwest Door (Modern Classic). I've only gotten pricing on one so far -- the Avante, and for the door alone (7' x 8' no motor) the price is 2770 installed. And we need two doors. I was wondering what you found in terms of the price difference between the Vista and the Avante -- was it 10% 20% more? I'm going to get quotes next week, but just curious if you recalled the relative pricing. Thanks! (And if you have any general advice about these types of garage doors would love to hear it!!

  • 10 years ago

    I don't know any more advice or information I could provide. I don't remember my exact other quotes - many times I would find a nice door see the price and just eliminate it from consideration.


    Like I mentioned above, we had a nice "lower" price negotiated, but by the time I was invoiced and paid the builder the price had gone up higher than I expected...

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Amharris,

    We are looking at the same glass garage doors and size (8'x7' with manual lift) and was wondering if you can share the quotes you received. I just received a quote from Amarr and it was $2958 and Clopay Avante at $3200. Where are you located? Thanks in advance!

  • 10 years ago

    Beatyboop- we just got quoted $3750 installed, reusing existing motor, for a 7x7 glass garage door. Guess which city I live in? :) You seem to be getting a great deal!

  • 10 years ago

    Montel- it would be great to know which company you used. We are also in SF and are being quoted nearly the same price as you paid for a door half the size and reusing our existing motor!

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks MsCarrieCrystal. I appreciate the information!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi Montel,

    I am definitely interested in a Ammar door similar to yours, comparable to your quote. I would like to see if you can refer me to your installer and supplier. Would be very helpful,

    Thanks.

  • 8 years ago
    It’s been a while but I’ll add to this thread.

    We got a 18’x 8’ Wayne Dalton 8800 with frosted glass installed in May 2017, near Portland OR. We paid $5500 for the door installed.

    It collects water and has significant condensation in the winter; when you open it, you have to wait for it to stop dripping before you walk under it. Of course it’s cool and wet in our climate, but it’s pretty annoying, especially when you just had your car washed. That said, I won’t give it up because I love how it looks and I love the light it lets in!

    Just sharing a data point. :o)
  • 8 years ago

    We payed $4500 for the Amarr door in our build in 2011 - this is now 2017 so six years later, and the economy is doing much better. I expect I wouldn't be able to get close to that price today...

    Back in 2011 $4500 was more than I wanted to spend and more than the quote. I was surprised at the higher costs when I was presented the final invoice!


    The installer/supplier was from Salinas - I am not sure if he is still in business. I called about a broken glass panel last year and never heard back from him...

  • 8 years ago

    I know this is a resurrected thread, but I thought I'd add we did the budget route of an insulated steel door with frosted glass in all panels. Our 9x7 cost us about $1500 installed with opener in May 2017. I don't remember the quote for a real contemporary door, but I think it was $2500+. We loved the light it brought in.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    @apositronic_brain where did you find this garage door? I am currently looking to redo the doors of my mid century modern home and believe this would be a good fit.

  • 8 years ago

    SImon, any garage door company should be able to do it. It is just a standard insulated steel garage door with windows in all panels instead of just the top panel. Ours was by Northwest Door, I believe. We'd originally ordered completely flush panel, but it was ordered wrong and came with flush with lines through the panels (so not sure of the model). We ended up installing it anyways and liking it better.

  • 7 years ago

    thanks, everyone. this thread is chock-full of good information! looking for six 16 x 10 doors like this and the price we've gotten from the barn builder's supplier is $3,000 each. manual. so I'm trying to beat their price.

  • 6 years ago

    Half a decade on and I'm still checking in on this thread. Thanks for leaving it up! 8 years ago we tried to go with the " all window method" , but the local dealers said they couldn't configure it that way. @ Apositronic... Glad they changed their minds! Nice to hear.