Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Will 'hot glue' hold this securely?

party_music50
15 years ago

Hi all --

I check the posts here occasionally, so know how talented and clever you all are! I'm sure you'll know what I can best use...

I want to experiment with making a sort of "sculpture" using old metal and plastic parts from things saved after house repairs. (are your eyes rolled back in your head? lol!). These are items like curtain and closet hangers, rollers, etc. Weird stuff.

Will "hot glue" (actually, I think my mini gun is what's called low-temp) hold these things together securely? or can you tell me what I really need to use and where to get it?

Thanks! And wish me luck on this goofy project! lol!

Comments (4)

• oddie
    15 years ago

heres a site that might help, wouldnt count on hot or low temp glue to hold for long, does help to hold things till the other glue sets, I use E6000 on about everything, but you might look it up and see if it can be used for your project.
    no I am not rolling my eyes sounds like you will be haveing alot of fun! come back and show us your finished project.
    check out the trash to treasure fourm here, lots of cute things made by crafters, and if you dont find the answers here they sure would be of help to you.
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: glueing site

• rmtonelzey
    15 years ago

With my experience with hot glue, it will hold almost anything..I use hot glue alot, doing projects and crafts, it sounds like the things you want to work with will take to it fine. If you are not use to hot glue a couple of points, IT IS VERY HOT. if you get it on you, its going to blister, if you drop some on anything, dont try and get it up right then, (like we would most normal spills) give it a few minutes and let it harden, then when its hard, you can peel it right off anything. (normally) if it gets in something porous, like a piece of cloth its harder to clean, but still let it harden, dont rub it in, it makes it worse. Good Luck!

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

I sell craft items and I use hot glue in conjunction with another glue - If you use hot glue by itself, it will pop off when it gets too cold and will soften and melt with hot weather...I use it with say Elmer's glue - hot glue to keep it in place until the elmer's sets up...

• party_music50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help/tips, everyone!

oddie, I checked that site and it's very interesting. I'll do some more research to find out what E6000 is and where to get it.

rmtonelzey and grandma_bonnie: I think that my glue gun might be low-temp. My sister bought it for me and I remember how she hated getting burned with her hot one. :) So it probably wouldn't hold as well as real hot glue anyway.

If I were only gluing small metal pieces the glue gun would probably work fine, but some of this metal is quite heavy so I think I will need something stronger after hearing what you all have to say. I haven't ruled out using wire in conjunction with the glue gun either. lol!

Thanks again, everyone!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider