Software
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

RECIPE: Toasted Oatmeal Cookies

23 years ago

I made these for our guests last weekend and they were a big hit. From Southern Living years ago.

3/4 c butter

2 c quick cooking oatmeal, uncooked

1 c firmly packed brown sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 c chopped pecans

Melt butter in a skillet and cook over med. heat until lightly browned. Add oats and cook for five minutes or until oats are golden. Cool

Combine sugar, egg, and vanilla. Combine flour, and next 4 ingredients. Stir all ingredients together. Mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tsps 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a glass a little. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or til golden. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool.

Yield 3 1/2 dozen.

Comments (39)

  • 23 years ago

    I never heard of toasting oatmeal for cookies before & better still this doesn't have raisins in it. Thanks!

  • 23 years ago

    It's the browned butter that really makes them so good.
    You are welcome.
    RL

  • 23 years ago

    I will have to copy this one it is diffrent will have to try it.Thanks Roseline.
    Ilene

  • 23 years ago

    Boy, these sound good and I have all the ingredients on hand. I'm usually an insoniac so if I can't sleep tonight, I will make a batch for DH to take to work tomorrow. I know cops like their donuts but I'll bet they will gobble these up!
    Thanks, Roselin!

  • 23 years ago

    You're very welcome. Hope they enjoy them-my husband told me that I couldn't give ALL of them to the little boy that came to visit last weekend.
    RL

  • 23 years ago

    I made the cookies last night and DH took them to work this morning to share with the boys in the squad room (he is a Police Captain).
    It's official, Roselin. You can safely speed in his jurisdiction with no fear of being ticketed! LOLOL
    They are a big hit!! It is really amazing what wonderful flavor is imparted by cooking the oats in butter first.
    Thanks again!

  • 23 years ago

    Too funny after the Defensive Driving class today-you tell me I can speed in FL?? I was the only one in the class that has never had a ticket so the TX police will probably be watching me like a hawk. Ask your husband if he has any pull in the Lone Star State, will you??

    But, am glad you liked the cookies.
    RL

  • 23 years ago

    Hey! Isn't that considered attempting to bribe a police officer? I'm tellin.'

  • 23 years ago

    Naw, you wouldn't-I know better. Remind me sometime and I will tell you how I DID bribe one once.
    No cookies though.

  • 23 years ago

    Actually, Ginger, a lady posted once how she got out of a ticket by giving the officer some of my Chubby Hubby Cookies - I saved the posting! LOLOL
    So apparently it works! LOLOL

  • 23 years ago

    Made your cookies this a.m. Great! I did goof and used 1 C butter, so added more flour...duh...next time I'll read more closely, but they were still great! Thanks for posting.

    Lois

  • 23 years ago

    Lois,
    You are welcome-glad you like them. Funny how something as simple as browning butter changes the flavor, isn't it?
    Glad they turned out for you.
    RL

  • 23 years ago

    I love oatmeal and I love toasted anything. I am always looking for a good oatmeal cookie, they are my favorites. The pecans are a big plus! Gotta try these.

    Eileen

  • 23 years ago

    Thanks, Roselin. Our whole family likes oatmeal cookies. Here's the one I usually make when the candied fruit comes out (and no raisins). My grandmother used to make these to send to my dad and other relatives in WWII because they ship well and in a tin, they will stay moist.

    TWO-WAY OATMEAL COOKIES

    1 cup butter or margarine (not ÂspreadÂ)
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/ 2 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup applesauce
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups regular rolled oats
    1 1 / 2 cups flour
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/ 2 tsp. baking soda
    1/ 2 tsp. baking powder
    1/ 4 tsp. salt
    3/ 4 cup flaked coconut
    3/ 4 cup finely snipped pitted dates
    1 tsp. grated orange peel
    1 1/ 2 cups chopped mixed candied fruits and peels

    In large bowl, cream butter and sugars thoroughly until creamy and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Mix in applesauce and vanilla. It will look curdled but donÂt worry. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and powder, and salt with wire whisk or sift together to mix. Stir in oats and walnuts. Stir oat-flour mixture into applesauce mixture and combine until blended. Divide dough in half. Add dates, coconut and orange peel to one portion and mix. Add candied fruit to other portion and mix. Drop teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees until done, about 10-15 minutes. Makes 8 to 9 dozen.

  • 23 years ago

    Roselin, those look good. Do you think it would work just as well if I added raisins? I know you don't like them but I really do in oatmeal cookies.

  • 23 years ago

    Sure, Bev-go ahead and add them.
    RL`

  • 23 years ago

    Another recipe copied and pasted! Can I assume these are a crisp cookie?


    {{gwi:336191}}

  • 23 years ago

    1 was interested in your recipe when I first read it but just got around to trying it.The flavor is so good!Next time I will double the recipe!Might even add chocolate chips. Gabriell

  • 23 years ago

    Gabriell, glad you liked them and thanks for the feedback.
    RL`

  • 21 years ago

    Roselin,

    I made the Toasted Oatmeal Cookies today, and they are delicious! We didn't have pecans so I substituted with chopped walnuts (my personal preference anyway).

    Not sure if the butter browned enough, but they definitely taste "toasty". Hubby loves them too, and he's the one I made them for since he is a fan of oatmeal cookies.

    I added some chocolate chips to the last tray, but I think they are actually better without them because I think the chocolate overwhelms the toasted-oatmeal flavor a bit.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Jen

  • 21 years ago

    Having trouble figuring out how this old thread came to appear here once again....
    Even thought the recipe is wonderfull.....I can't believe it hadn't slid off the page.
    Linda C

  • 21 years ago

    Because Jenn posted to it again??? With Christmas baking soon, I'm glad it did.

  • 21 years ago

    Guess it was just too good a recipe to fall off! LOL.
    And there are some recipes here on Desserts that go back to 2002. Seems like we need to use this forum more.
    RL`

  • 21 years ago

    Maybe I need to check the archives, I guess....
    Linda C

  • 21 years ago

    Roselin, This recipe has become one of my favorites.I have made it many times since you first posted.Iv'e used chocolate chips and once dried cranberries.The flavor of the browned butter is wonderful.Glad to see it posted again. Gabriell

  • 21 years ago

    Glad to hear how much you like them, Gabriell-I agree about the browned butter. Getting feedback from folks that try the recipes here really helps and contributes to baking fun.
    Thanks a lot.
    RL`

  • 21 years ago

    Oops, meant to thank you too, Jenn and I agree-about being better with just the nuts. I do like them with the white chocolate chips too though.
    Was happy to share the recipe.
    RL`

  • 21 years ago

    I made a double batch but they were really crumbley and wouldn't hold together very well. I double check to see if I forgot to add anything during mixing. What did I do wrong? Thanks Debbie

  • 19 years ago

    I made these toasted oatmeal cookies today and they are so delicious!

  • 19 years ago

    Sounds like a great recipe. I'm going to try them today. Thanks!!

  • 19 years ago

    Midwestmom.........glad you liked them. I love using browned butter in recipes.
    Trudymom........let us know how you like them too.
    RL`

  • 19 years ago

    Is this a crisp cookie or a soft cookie. I am asking because one of the doctors I work with is longing for the crisp oatmeal cookies his mother used to make. It would be so nice to be able to make some for him. All the recipes I have are soft. Thanks.

  • 19 years ago

    They have been crispy for me.

  • 19 years ago

    roselin, I made these cookies last night and they were delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!!

  • 19 years ago

    Trudymom,
    Glad you liked them. Now if posie makes them and they get an approval from the boss, well, what more can one ask for? LOL

  • 19 years ago

    Has anybody used Irish oatmeal for oatmeal cookies?

  • 18 years ago

    Well, I'm sitting here eating your cookies, Roselin, and have to say thank you for a delicious new recipe. These are really delightful, crispy, great flavor and texture. They're sure to become a standard in our house. I wondered as I was shopping for ingredients what would happen with substituting regular oatmeal or as Lorna mentioned, Irish oatmeal. Have you tried other oatmeals or does the cooking in butter require the texture of the instant? I have an entire box of regular sitting in the cupboard and it looks so forlorn.

    Sue

  • 18 years ago

    Sue, have never used the Irish oatmeal in them but I always use the regular oatmeal not the instant so do know that that works just fine. Glad you are enjoying them.

  • 18 years ago

    Sue, have never used the Irish oatmeal in them but I always use the regular oatmeal not the instant so do know that that works just fine. Glad you are enjoying them.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert