pompeii_gw

basement flood - septic system back up?

pompeii
April 26, 2004

We had a new septic system installed last October and have had no problems with it until last night. There were a couple of inches of water backed up into the basement. Although it had rained, this was not water leaking in from outside the walls. The drains were completely backed up. I had washed two loads of laundry and run the dishwasher during the afternoon. I have used this amount of water before with no problems.

We have a Multi-Flo aerator which is supposed to sound an alarm when there is a problem. No alarm sounded but the red light was on, which says to call for service if it is on for 24 hours. I don't know when the light went on, but it was back off this morning.

I have a call into the aerator serviceman, and another into the septic system installer. Before I talk to them, does anyone know what might have happened?

I have posted this on the plumbing forum as well. If there is another forum better suited for this question, please let me know. Thanks.