Please, what is the brick?

amyphorton
11 years ago
Outdoor brick fireplace · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    EASYdesigns
    11 years ago
    Hi Amyphorton! I used old bricks, salvaged from the destruction of old buildings in the construction of the patio and fireplace. I love the look - but if you are in moist area of the country, keeping them clean requires some maintenance. Many of the brick are porous so mold and moss can grow. We power wash a couple of times during the summer months to retain the clean look you see in the picture. I feel the maintenance is worth the warmth the antique brick creates. Thanks for your question!
  • ccwsc
    8 years ago

How was this brick laid? I love this look. I have a brick patio and brick front walk in need of relaying. The front walk is in a bed of sand and heaving from roots. I assume (hope) there is a gravel base.

Back to the question: what kind of base (gravel?), what kind of cushion (sand?) and what kind of material is used to achieve this spacing without the bricks moving? I love the old-world charm with the wider spacing, but I do not know the proper way to achieve the wider spacing.

• PRO
    EASYdesigns
    8 years ago

Thanks for asking! I am not a mason, but the mason who built this patio used aged brick (which has it's own set of challenges) and laid the brick on a cement base of about 1 foot. The spacing you see is mortar. It is a beautiful look, but was expensive to achieve. Because it is aged brick - it is very porous - so we have it power washed at least twice a summer. Hope this helps!

• PRO
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths