Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethany4455

large garage workshop heating and air?

Beth
12 years ago

breaking ground next week on house and hubby's large seperate garage/ workshop. what is best way to heat and cool a shop with high ceilings for lift? Radiant floor is the way builder wants to go but i have read some about ceiling mounted units--it is a hobby garage --not for full time work.

my husband has no time to put in the research so i may be on here often asking silly garage questions--if anyone is an expert on building large garage/ workshops please email me with any knowledge and advice you may have--bwagn@hotmail.com

thanks!

Comments (2)

• randy427
    12 years ago

Where do you live (i.e. what's the climate like), how is the shop/garage insulated and what temperature range is tolerable? Also, do you have natural gas, LP or fuel oil available, or just electric?

• thedesigningwoman
    12 years ago

Hello lily5 and congratulations on breaking ground for the new house!

If this will be an infrequently used space, consider a ductless air conditioning and heating unit. It will save space and can remove allergens (and dust from the workshop activities).

Since this is for a hobby area, would you plan to heat the garage otherwise? You may even want to use a portable air conditioner with heat option (use a garage window for the exhaust). During peak heating or cooling times, the unit could be wheeled into other parts of the home to provide additional comfort.

Best wishes and happy groundbreaking!